Have a question about a.. um.. possible additive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhatchable

Reaction score
So...I searched and didn't come up with anything for this, so here goes (I hope this isn't taboo on this forum!)...

My friend grows pot at home (legally, of course) and has two ounces or so of clippings that he wants me to incorporate into an ale. I was thinking a simple pale ale or amber ale, "dry-hemped" with these. any advice on the best way to use it?

I'm paraphrasing, but Charlie Papazian offered this advice: Here's a recipe because everybody asks, but I'm telling you, you're just going to ruin your stuff and your beer.

(I stick to just beer myself, so I have no firsthand experience.)

There was a huge thread on it here, but of course got locked. Try searching for it if it still exists. Someone did it with success with medical marijuana. Said it turned out pretty good. Here is a link to an article on the idea.

Marijuana In Beer

They said it was pretty good; what else could they say?

THC is not water soluble so it would most likely be a waste of your money and weed. You might get some aromatics, but probably the same as fresh hops. My guess is a blind study would reveal no effects of the marihuana.
This from a guy who only drinks but knows a lot more about pot than brewing beer.

yes but its more like rubbing alcohol that is allowed to evaporate. The alcohol in beer is not likely to have much of an effect on the THC.
I will reiterate: I am no expert, but I have spent my whole life around career potheads and most of them will "feel" the high if you tell them it was brewed with it, but would most likely not know the difference if not told.

yes but its more like rubbing alcohol that is allowed to evaporate. The alcohol in beer is not likely to have much of an effect on the THC.
I will reiterate: I am no expert, but I have spent my whole life around career potheads and most of them will "feel" the high if you tell them it was brewed with it, but would most likely not know the difference if not told.

Good point. as long as I use it he'll be pleased. I don't have money to get anything into my empty primaries, but he's willing to foot the grain/hop/weed bill and I have yeast washed from my last batch so why not, right?

This comes up often. It's be discussed many times here on the forum. "Dry hemping" has been discussed at length, too. I had expressed my opinion a couple of years ago that it would be a waste. You can do whatever you'd like with your beer, though.

Check out the search, and look at the "related threads" at the bottom of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back