Reading a few posts on Cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
It is 4:00 am in the San Francisco Bay area and I cannot sleep. So, as I usually do, I browsed some of the forums here and got interested in the Cider forum. There is a thread that talks about taking 5 gallons of store bought cider, of course the stuff without all the additives except Vitamin C, simply dump it on the yeast of a beer batch already done, shake it up and let it ride for a few weeks. Add a can of apple juice concentrate, bottle and let it sit in the closet for another few weeks. Thinking of trying this when my next batch is done. The beer will be a pale ale using either Bry97 or Cellscience Cali. It would be dry hopped so would that make a difference? Would either of these yeasts work for Apple cider? Am I reading it correctly and all I do is dump 5 gallons of juice in the bucket, give it a stir and let it sit? That just sounds way to easy. And if I am kegging, then I don't even need to concentrate, right? Just pressurise with CO2 as I would with beer. As I read, I have to up the pressure to about 15 psi, but that's ok. So, am I reading this wrong, or is it just this simple? I think it would be fun to try. Also, instead of the concentrate, can I just add carb tablets to the bottles like I do beer and skip the concentrate? As always, any input is appreciated. Rock On!!!!!!

Yes, should work as you described it. I have not done this after beer but have done so after a mead and ran 4 ciders in a row using Safale USO5.

Im not sre if you will pick up some hop flavor but you may.

Yes, should work as you described it. I have not done this after beer but have done so after a mead and ran 4 ciders in a row using Safale USO5.

Im not sre if you will pick up some hop flavor but you may.
Cool. Thanks. I guess if it doesn't work I am out 5 gallons of store bought cider. LOL.

I've done this a few times. I've had just a hint of hops in those ciders but I don't make really hoppy beers so ymmv. The hops faded fairly quickly anyway. Give it a go; it'll be cider! I get my juice at Aldi for a little over $3/gallon. Good luck!

Back