Has anyone tried ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Pitching Imperial B56 Rustic ( de Blaugies ), fermenting for 24-48 hours and then pitching Imperial A20 Citrus? Would it be safe to assume that the Saison traits will be there and A20 could have a chance of adding it's own fruity esters?

Thank you.

Why not co-pitch? Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Citrus Sacch trois? The Mad Fermentationist blend (the original and Bootleg's blend) contain Sacch trois and a couple Saison strains, along with other stuff. I'd think you'd be more likely to get the fruitiness from Citrus that way, but I could be way off.

Thanks you for the reply.

Co-pitching could be an idea. There is a thought flying around saying that if you co-pitch 2 different yeast, one will dominate and produce the vast majority of esters and phenols, where the case. I can't be sure, nor hope that the Saison will dominate and maybe the Sacch Trois will add a bit of its own character. Both are diastaticus and are able to ferment at least up to 85% AA. I would think that the Saison can have a head start and then hit it with another strain.

Maybe others have had similar experiences.

Split your batch in two. Under pitch the one you want to dominate in esters. Add nutrients. Pitch warm and then let it cool. For the one you want less character from - dont underpitch, oxygenate well, no nutrients, pitch cool and finish warm.

I pitch a blend in some of my saisons but i've never waited between pitches. My hunch is at 48 hours, with a typical STA1 strain, there is not going to be much work left to be done for the second pitch. It's not like the first stops and allows the second one to go. Maybe try a co-pitch or don't wait 48 hours. Possibly pitch the second once the storm gets going. Of course this depends on the pitch temp and how fast they fire up. I'm always interested in brewing different characteristics in my saisons. Keep us posted for sure on your results!

Back