Has anyone seen this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
I have a batch of a Spotted Cow clone fermenting at 5 days in and I noticed something I don't think I have seen before floating on top. Has anyone else seen this, is it infected?

Attachments

• 20180621_153714.jpg
    20180621_153714.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
It is safe to taste. How it tastes might tell you something about what is going on. I haven't seen one like that but after only 5 days it could be what is left of the krausen.

Yeast 'rafts'!

It does give one pause when you see it for the first time. I can't recall what yeasts they were but I have seen these several times and the beer was great!

Could be normal. Did you add anything to the boil kettle besides the basic ingredients? Take a SG sample in another five days and check the taste.

Yeast 'rafts'!

It does give one pause when you see it for the first time. I can't recall what yeasts they were but I have seen these several times and the beer was great!

Funny you mention that, this is my first time using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. I had a feeling that it could be caused by that, but it feels nice to get the reassurance here.

It probably just yeast rafts, but I use 1272 often and haven't seen anything like that. So it probably more of a very particular chain of events that caused it.

Also, yeast tastes disgusting no matter what it looks like.

Yeast 'rafts'!

I have had something like this happen before. Weird especially going from a bucket/opaque container to glass and watching fermentation- some things stick around a bit longer.

Latest posts

Back