Has anyone had this experience with coconut....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I decided to brew up a coconut hazy. I crashed for about 3 days before I got around to racking into my keg (closed transfer). I put all my hops and shaved coconut in bags, so I would have no issues with clogging when I went to rack. I ferment in anvil ss buckets and I always have horrific times racking with massive amounts of loose hops, so hop bags it is to make my life easier....Well it still clogged!! Only this time due to huge chunks of coconut fat/oil that separated from the beer and solidified during the cold crash. I am happy this happened and kept a good amount of oil out of my keg, but I did not expect this.

I had to leave about a half gallon of beer behind, because as the level dropped lower to the racking arm all the big floating oil chunks that were floating at the top just became too much. I still got about 4.25 gallons in the keg, so not horrible after the amount of beer the dry hopping and coconut absorbed as well.

Has anyone else experienced this when using shaved coconut in any of their beers?

I used about a pound of unsweetened/untoasted shaved coconut about 5 mins left in the boil. I also did about an hour whirlpool with several hop additions at different temps, but left the coconut in during whirlpool. Then towards the end of fermentation I dropped about a half pound of shaved unsweetened/untoasted coconut in, and let it sit for about a week total.

The beer tastes amazing and there is no oily mouthfeel at all (probably because most of it separated and stayed behind when I racked), but I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this when using coconut??

I didn't want to toast the coconut since it was going into a NEIPA. I was trying to avoid any roasted flavors, and wanted it to be a fresher coconut profile. I may try lightly toasting it next time though just to see the difference, or make a bigger batch to make up for loss and cut it off once it starts to clog. It came out delicious, but it is crazy how much oil sodified in the fermenter after the cold crash. I knew there would be oil in there, but not that much.

Back