Harvesting yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwlighting

Reaction score
I watched several tutorials on harvesting and repitching yeast. They didn't all agree. I racked the beer off of the yeast cake put in some sterile water about half a quart and then dump that into a quart mason jar. I let that sit overnight in my 50° garage. This is what I got. Photo attached. where's the yeast? and should I dump this all into my next batch?
I am brewing today 10 gallons so I'll split it into 2x5 gallon fermenters. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452193392.300466.jpg

I say sure why not. Only thing if its a big beer 1.070+ I might make a starter to get things bumping if your splitting it into two batches. I just recently fermented a 1.054 beers yeast cake into a 5000l flask. Let it sit overnight and had about 1000l of yeast cake and the rest beer. I dumped the beer and pitched about half into my 1.040 beer that night. It took about 24 hours for it to show signs of life and this morning it was going nuts. Both mind you were lagers.

The yeast is the light beige stuff. You have lots there. You can look at yeast calculators to figure out how much to pitch. Making a starter is always a good idea too.

That method is fine. I have used that method of harvesting for at least 20 -25 batches and all turned out great. I always do a starter though unless the yeast was harvested within a week of use.

Ok. Thanks. Never done it before and it looked like too much to be all yeast. I never sal the layer of trub people talk about settling out. I just did it last night and I'm pitching in a couple hours so I don't think I need the starter.

there is yeast in that jar from the waterline all the way down to the bottom, plenty of yeast for a couple (or more) of average gravity beers. you can wash the yeast if you want to but it works just as well to scoop slurry into a jar and use in the next batch with the help of a yeast calculator.

Back