harvesting yeast - how crucial is sanitizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontdropthebeer

Reaction score
After a few beers last night I decided to try to harvest some yeast from Allagash House Beer bottles. I boiled a mason jar in water for a bit and let it cool down. Then I had 3 of the house beers and poured them into a glass and left the last inch or so, and took the 3 bottles and poured them into the mason jar. I then covered it with tinfoil and put it into the fridge. Today I was going to make up a little low gravity wort and add it but I remembered I neglected to spray any star san in the jar, the foil, the rim of the bottle, etc.

I was going to use it to try to recreate the house beer but now Im wondering if I should start over with a new and sanitized yeast harvest.

Thoughts?

Go ahead with your plan to make a 1.010 starter wort. If the jar contained something infectious you'll know in about four weeks.

If an infection is present an oily or white fuzzy film will start growing across the surface of the wort.
There is a post your infection thread somewhere on the site.
The yeast may also turn from white to grey.

Latest posts

Back