Harvesting yeast from a beer bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterOJ

Reaction score
So, I've drank half a 6er of Bell's Winter White Ale (pretty sure it's just a hefe, but it's a tasty one nonetheless) and I've noticed in the three I've had so far a nice little layer of yeast in the bottom.

I haven't noticed this in most of the commercial brews I drink, but it's got me wondering about making a starter from it. I know it's possible, I'm just wondering about the best way to do it. I'm thinking maybe just do it right there in the bottle and then transfer the slurry to another vessel to begin building it up.

I know others on here have probably done an experiment like this before. Is that the best way? Or, should I try and get the yeast out of the beer bottle first?

You could add some starter wort in each bottle, or sanitize the opening of each bottle and pour the yeast sediment into a small glass jar with some starter wort and top with sanitized foil or a lid put on lightly.

You might like to build a cheap stirplate if you end up liking harvesting yeast. It can really help them take off.

Harvesting from commercial brews is done all the time. I have a Tripel that I harvested some Pranqster yeast fermenting right now.

Open the bottle carefully pour out most of the beer, leaving a little in the bottle. Sanitize the mouth of the bottle, swirl it around and dump the yeast into a container ( flask) of cooled (1.040 or less for the first step) wort. Cover with sanitized foil. I usually use several bottles to make sure I get a good amount to work with. Start off with a smaller amount 300-500 ml. Let it go for a few days. If you do not have a stir plate then shake it up a few times evry time you walk by.

Next step it up by making more wort. I went to 1000ml. Let it go for a couple of days. Stick in the fridge to crash. Then you can decant off the liquid and step it up again. You may have to do this a couple of times until you get a useable amount of yeast.

Bell's yeast is pretty easy to harvest. They use their house strain for most of their beers but I am not sure if it used for the brew you mentioned.

Back