Harvested Duvel - What did I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I harvested the yeast from 2 Duvel bottles. Am currently growing to a pitchable amount.

I tasted the starter 'beer' from the last step, and it tastes almost like it is a Brett strain. Nothing like Duvel. I was expecting almost fruity.

I aerate by occasional shaking (no stir plate). Use LME to 1.036 (Northern brewer Gold, which I think has about 10% Crystal).

Compared the starter 'beer' to a Chico Starter. the Chico starter was fairly clean, while the Duvel had the Brett taste. Both used the same batch of wort for the starters.

I'm sure aeration creates strange flavors in the starter beer, but the comparison between the two was very prominent.

Do I have the Duvel yeast? Anyone had similar experience with Duvel?

It took the 1.036 starter wort down to 1.008, so it is a viable beer yeast.

I plan to brew with it, whatever it is. Will do a Duvel clone, which should tell me if I have the right yeast.

I have some more Duvel bottles from another pack, that I intend to harvest the yeast from to see if it does the same. May use them to compare the beer when brewed.

IIRC, Duvel filters out the yeast that they use for primary fermentation and bottles it with a different variety

Duvel uses the same yeast to ferment and bottle. I just made a delicious blond with that yeast.

Its Wyeast 1388 or WLP 570.

Only one way to find out! Brew something with it and check your attenuation!

It took the starter wort down almost 80%. Straight extract wort, so attenuates ok. Will be brewing with it in 9 days.

Just got to figure out what to brew with it; a Duvel clone, or a Cali-Belgie type. I'm picking hops this weekend, mostly Cascade, and should get about 12 to 16 ozs dry weight.

Latest posts

Back