Harvest yeast from secondary to..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBrewinAround

Reaction score
I just racked a batch from the secondary to the keg. I have a nice amount of yeast and very little trub in the carboy. On this particular batch I washed the yeast from the primary and have jarred and fridged right now, which looks good by the way.
My question to you all is should I recover this small amount from the secondary and add it to the other, wash it by itself in another jar, or just send it down the drain since i have a good amount from the primary? More or less is there any advantage to keeping this?
Thanks...

The yeast you harvested from the primary will be more than enough. The yeast that could be harvested out of the secondary will be their less flocculant cousins. These are not ideal unless you are going for a hazy, slowly attenuating beer.

Good info, thanks! I waited as long as i could for a reply and then dumped it and cleaned the carboy. This will keep me from thinking about it in the future..

Back