Hardwire Stc-1000 into freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebob296

Reaction score
Hello,

One of my greatest challenges in brewing was keeping my temperature constant for fermentation. I used to use a project box with an outlet wired up and the freezer plugged into the outlet. However, my 2 yr. old daughter loves to pull out the temperature sensor out of my freezer causing my beer to freeze. (My last beer she managed to do this 3 times, on a good note it was crystal clear.) So I decided to hard wire an stc-1000 replacing the original sensor. Here is a link to the album. Took me about 10 hours and the majority of that time was waiting for the stain and clear coat to dry.

Edit: Finally got pictures on HBT.

Wood.jpeg

Cut Out.jpeg

Stained.jpeg

Mounted.jpeg

Makeshift Clamp.jpeg

Finished.jpeg

I didn't use a diagram. I took the hot and neutral off the stock thermostat and wired them up to the stc 1000 power and the cooling relay.

I didn't use a diagram. I took the hot and neutral off the stock thermostat and wired them up to the stc 1000 power and the cooling relay.

did you remove/replace the stock freezer temp sensor?

how did you install with stc sensor?

Yes, I completely removed the old thermostat and sensor. Take the incoming power and neutral and tie them into the stc-1000 inputs. Pigtail off the incoming power into one side of the cooling relay. Then take the power wire from the compressor and put it on the other side of the cooling relay. This is the break in the circuit you want. Next, wire all the neutrals together. Do not attach the neutral to cooling relay you will blow the relay. I drilled a hole in the freezer and pushed the stc-1000 sensor through it and sealed the hole with silicone. Just make sure you don't hit any cooling lines. Use a screwdriver and poke through the foam until you hit the metal.

Edit: I just found this drawing on google. It shows exactly what I described minus the sensor.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443579086.142398.jpg

I really hope you don't mind but...I'm gonna piggy back onto this because I'm hard-wiring a heater in this same fashion but it is not working for me. I have the inkbird which is the same setup. Any thoughts since I see you've got it to work?

wiring.jpg

I really hope you don't mind but...I'm gonna piggy back onto this because I'm hard-wiring a heater in this same fashion but it is not working for me. I have the inkbird which is the same setup. Any thoughts since I see you've got it to work?

It looks like the wiring is correct. Does the inkbird power on? Have you checked the relay, can you hear it click on? If not it's probably blown. I know I blew a relay when I was wiring mine.

Back