Hard Winter Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeziegler

Reaction score
Hey folks,
here's the deal. I am planning on brewing a honey wheat ale this next week and I am trying to figure out how to incorporate some un-malted Hard winter white wheat. Why you ask?? Well it comes from my in-law's farm and I'm trying to get some 'local ingredients' incorporated into this thing. Just picked up some awesome local raw honey.

the fermentables as of now are as follows:
4.5lbs 2 row
4 ish? lbs malted wheat
1 lb honey

So then i have these couple lbs of unmalted wheat to get in there.. I had two ideas and I'm wondering if anyone has played around with either of these.

I considered steeping the unmalted wheat at flameout for a few minutes.

I've also considered 'dry hopping' with the unmalted in my primary.

what do you think? And yes i know it would be a lot easier to just not and say I did...

Mill the two pounds of raw wheat and do a cereal mash with a half pound of your pale malt. Then add it to the mash and delete two pounds of the malted wheat. Steeping it will only accomplish leeching out some starch and protein compounds, neither of which you want in the beer. Adding it to the primary will almost guarantee an infection and at the least just some clouds of starch.

Hey folks,
here's the deal. I am planning on brewing a honey wheat ale this next week and I am trying to figure out how to incorporate some un-malted Hard winter white wheat. Why you ask?? Well it comes from my in-law's farm and I'm trying to get some 'local ingredients' incorporated into this thing. Just picked up some awesome local raw honey.

the fermentables as of now are as follows:
4.5lbs 2 row
4 ish? lbs malted wheat
1 lb honey

So then i have these couple lbs of unmalted wheat to get in there.. I had two ideas and I'm wondering if anyone has played around with either of these.

I considered steeping the unmalted wheat at flameout for a few minutes.

I've also considered 'dry hopping' with the unmalted in my primary.

what do you think? And yes i know it would be a lot easier to just not and say I did...

You're going to need to crush it and perform a cereal mash prior to, or in conjunction with, your main mash.

Steeping at flameout will probably lead to starch haze and will not add any fermentables, because you will not have any active enzymes at that point to perform conversion. Adding to primary will result in the same issue and also possibly introduce souring bacteria to your beer.

You're going to need to crush it and perform a cereal mash prior to, or in conjunction with, your main mash.

Steeping at flameout will probably lead to starch haze and will not add any fermentables, because you will not have any active enzymes at that point to perform conversion. Adding to primary will result in the same issue and also possibly introduce souring bacteria to your beer.
Copy that! I wasn't sure how it would do in the mash. I've seen un malted in recipes in the past, my fear is that with hard winter white it is going to create glue and block a sparge. Perhaps this one will just be a batch sparge

Mill the two pounds of raw wheat and do a cereal mash with a half pound of your pale malt. Then add it to the mash and delete two pounds of the malted wheat. Steeping it will only accomplish leeching out some starch and protein compounds, neither of which you want in the beer. Adding it to the primary will almost guarantee an infection and at the least just some clouds of starch.
Thanks!

Back