Hard Seltzer with a homebrew feel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danimal86

Reaction score
So i'm on a low carb diet so i've been missing beer like crazy. I found some beer satisfaction with Lagunitas Daytime and Dogfish Slightly Mighty (not as good), but i recently stopped off at a brewery (Moonraker in Auburn, Ca) to grab a couple cans for an upcoming trip where i'll be off the diet, and they had a watermelon mint hard seltzer. I talked with one of the workers, and asked him if its sweet at all, they said they dont add any additional sugars, but they add fruit puree so no guarantee about how much sugar/carbs are in there. I grabed some beer and a 4pk of the sider and off i went.

I have had hard seltzers in the past and they taste like soda water, a couple drops of flavoring, and some rubbing alcohol. The breweries hard seltzer was not like that, the flavoring was perfect and no cheap alcohol flavor, i dont know how to explain it, but it had a homebrew flavor to it on the backend. I'm thinking its because they actually ferment and not add alcohol.

So now i'm thinking about trying to brew a batch. I see that morebeer has a kit now, but i'm thinking that it shouldn't be difficult to just put something together.

I'm wondering if i go the fruit puree route, and add it either at boil, or the backend of fermentation, would the flavor stay but any sugars from the puree be converted?

I also was low carb for 8 months. Lost like 80 lbs, but regularly drank skromshaw and never found any seltzer I liked. Since fruit is all simple sugar, it should ferment out completely. If u want to make sure, add it into the primary. Another option that would probably work is adding frozen fruit concentrate during primary. Also, a little Stevia or monk fruit, just a little to cut any bitterness, should bring out the fruit flavor.

A little slip there, scrimshaw from left coast has 3 carbs I think. I was going to suggest it if u can find it. I usually drank Miller or michalob unfortunately..

I also was low carb for 8 months. Lost like 80 lbs, but regularly drank skromshaw and never found any seltzer I liked. Since fruit is all simple sugar, it should ferment out completely. If u want to make sure, add it into the primary. Another option that would probably work is adding frozen fruit concentrate during primary. Also, a little Stevia or monk fruit, just a little to cut any bitterness, should bring out the fruit flavor.
Its crazy how quickly the weight comes off.
The flavors should get lost in the fermentation if i add it to the primary? I like the idea of adding some monkfruit to soften the bight. I think i have a 1g keg from nothern brewer that was for nitro cold brew (didn't work for ****). Maybe i'll make a small test batch. I should just shoot for a fg below 1?

A little slip there, scrimshaw from left coast has 3 carbs I think. I was going to suggest it if u can find it. I usually drank Miller or michalob unfortunately..
i'm 99% sure i've had scrimshaw before....but it would have to have been a long time ago. I really like Daytime, its got a nice fresh hoppy flavor, and it comes in at 3 carbs, slightly mighty has 3.4 and they add monkfruit to it (not sure why) and you can taste a little bit of sweetness, i dont really look for sweetness in a west coast ipa.

I meant all the sugar in the fruit would ferment out in primary. U might lose some of the aroma, but u should still get enough. I am not sure if adding fruit in the secondary would attenuate as well and it might take longer to clear. I havent made hard seltzer though so I am only speaking on speculation... I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

I meant all the sugar in the fruit would ferment out in primary. U might lose some of the aroma, but u should still get enough. I am not sure if adding fruit in the secondary would attenuate as well and it might take longer to clear. I havent made hard seltzer though so I am only speaking on speculation... I am interested in seeing how it turns out.
I ended up throwing together a small 1.5g batch yesterday. ended up using 3/4 of a can of juice concentrate.
That dry wine yeast is nuts. 90deg and it was going hard within a couple hours. I hit 1.040 og so hopeufully i'll get my fg to 1 or below. I'll check it tomorrow and see if i need to add more yeast nutrients or not.
I plan on back-sweetening it with monkfruit....i just ordered a couple bottles from amazon.

it's kinda like light craft beer.....or as the cool kids call it "Brüt IPA" can be a stout, amber, brown, lager, red, you name it!

it's called gluco amylase...if you add a few grams to your fermenter the beer will ferment dry, and have next to no carbs....add it to all my beers...

https://brewhaus.com/gluco-amylase-enzyme-amyloglucosidase-1lb/
i add about 12 grams to my 10 gallon batches, they always finish at 1.000, or less
it's kinda like light craft beer.....or as the cool kids call it "Brüt IPA" can be a stout, amber, brown, lager, red, you name it!
might be a dumb question, but all the carbs in beer only come from fermented sugars?

might be a dumb question, but all the carbs in beer only come from fermented sugars?

no fermented sugars are ethanol, unfermentable sugars are carbs....but gluco makes it like a dry wine......they call them dextrins, yeast can't metabolize them, but gluco breaks them down to bite size chunks for the yeast to eat...you'll get a boost in ABV also, and a slight drop in calories....

no fermented sugars are ethanol, unfermentable sugars are carbs....but gluco makes it like a dry wine......they call them dextrins, yeast can't metabolize them, but gluco breaks them down to bite size chunks for the yeast to eat...you'll get a boost in ABV also, and a slight drop in calories....
dammit.......that was supposed to say "unfermented"

So i'm wondering why breweries wouldnt just add gluco to have no unformented sugars? That must be why Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty has monkfruit in it.

dammit.......that was supposed to say "unfermented"

So i'm wondering why breweries wouldnt just add gluco to have no unformented sugars? That must be why Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty has monkfruit in it.

some people worry about mouthfeel...but to me i can't tell the difference between 1.008-1.012, and 0.0998...probably because i add crystal and dark malts to it....

that's why people worry about a few degrees in mash temp between 145f-158f.....being that i add gluco to everything i just say f'it, anything in that range it's going dry no matter what.....:D

some people worry about mouthfeel...but to me i can't tell the difference between 1.008-1.012, and 0.0998...probably because i add crystal and dark malts to it....

that's why people worry about a few degrees in mash temp between 145f-158f.....being that i add gluco to everything i just say f'it, anything in that range it's going dry no matter what.....:D
It looks like its best to add the gluco in during the mash, have you ever added it to the fermenter?
I've got a batch of seltzer in the fermenter right now, i'm going to probably pull a vial of it out tomorrow and check the fg and see what its looking like. I'm hoping to hit 1.000 or less.

It looks like its best to add the gluco in during the mash, have you ever added it to the fermenter?
I've got a batch of seltzer in the fermenter right now, i'm going to probably pull a vial of it out tomorrow and check the fg and see what its looking like. I'm hoping to hit 1.000 or less.

no i never add it to the mash, it denatures at that temp, i add it at room temp with the yeast....alpha-amylase would be added during the mash...which is what they just call amylase...that would give you a 50% fermentable wort, how i discovered gluco, making 100% rice beer and wondering why amylase only fermented it half the way....damn those dextrins, they're like liquid fiber.....

edit: i don't know why they have calories, if they go through you so quick! ;)

no i never add it to the mash, it denatures at that temp, i add it at room temp with the yeast....alpha-amylase would be added during the mash...which is what they just call amylase...
gotcha. i was going to order it on brewhaus but damn shipping is as much as the bag is. this looks like the same stuff?
https://smile.amazon.com/Home-Brewi...&keywords=Gluco-Amylase&qid=1596507631&sr=8-5sounds like its too late for my current batch, but next one i'll add it in.

sounds like its too late for my current batch, but next one i'll add it in.

if your just fermenting simple sugars it won't do anything for you......

(and i had to laugh at the measurements of the item!!!:

• Model Number: 6108
  • Item Package Length: 2.70078739882"
  • Item Package Width: 0.99999999898"
  • Item Package Height: 0.90157480223"
lol!)

if your just fermenting simple sugars it won't do anything for you......

(and i had to laugh at the measurements of the item!!!:

• Model Number: 6108
  • Item Package Length: 2.70078739882"
  • Item Package Width: 0.99999999898"
  • Item Package Height: 0.90157480223"
lol!)
Lol

Well for the seltzers it's just corn sugar and whatever was in the juice concentrate.
But Ill probably try to make a low carb ipa

there's a whole thread for them! it's where i first got cussed out here! brings back fond memories.... ;) :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/anyone-brewing-brut-ipa.650325/page-15#post-8664745
I'm gonna look through this. Hopefully I won't get cussed out.
i'm pretty sure that would go dry, or you'd need pectinase for it......(or whatever 'ase' breaks down pectin)

gluco is just for grain based booze....
Ill let you know what the gravity looks like tomorrow

i'm pretty sure that would go dry, or you'd need pectinase for it......(or whatever 'ase' breaks down pectin)

gluco is just for grain based booze....
i was going to grab a vial and test the gravity, but its still bubbling along and can see some clear bubbles still forming on the surface (kinda hard to see in the pic)

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_154402.jpg
    IMG_20200804_154402.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 36
There are ways to add body to a beer that would be fully fermented dry. They add body to wine after it dries completely out. I think tannins. U would probably want to use them in beers that u can hide or compliment the flavor. As for the seltzer, if u want it clear u might have to add pectinase. I think it is necessary when adding citrus.

Sorry, glycerin. Not sure how that would effect beer. It is a sugar so it might defeat the purpose....

I make zero carb "hard seltzer" by putting 4.5 gal of RO water, 6-8 cups of 180proof ethanol, and a small container of artificial brewing flavoring (strawberry kiwi, watermelon, etc) in a corny keg.

It's refreshing and halfway decent.

I make zero carb "hard seltzer" by putting 4.5 gal of RO water, 6-8 cups of 180proof ethanol, and a small container of artificial brewing flavoring (strawberry kiwi, watermelon, etc) in a corny keg.

It's refreshing and halfway decent.
where do you get 180proof ethanol?

thats a no go for california. ill have to remember that when i go across stateline

it peaked my interest....now i'm reading about "culinary solvents"

God lord. They don't let you have guns OR Everclear in CA?

I used to work at Casa Gallardo as a barback when I was a kid. My job was to mix the bulk margaritas for the bar squirt hose in corny kegs. That piqued my interest in keg based beverages :^)

God lord. They don't let you have guns OR Everclear in CA?

I used to work at Casa Gallardo as a barback when I was a kid. My job was to mix the bulk margaritas for the bar squirt hose in corny kegs. That piqued my interest in keg based beverages :^)
Yep, as i've come to learn there's a loophole for just about everything though....some easier than others.

I've really enjoyed having keg'd beverages. Since i haven't been able to drink beer for a while, i've currently got diet coke, and nitro cold brew on tap. The cold brew is freaking amazing and i've been fighting with getting the carbonation just right for the diet coke.
I've thought about making a jack & coke keg or a gin & tonic on tap. Anything you have to do differently?

Yep, as i've come to learn there's a loophole for just about everything though....some easier than others.

I've really enjoyed having keg'd beverages. Since i haven't been able to drink beer for a while, i've currently got diet coke, and nitro cold brew on tap. The cold brew is freaking amazing and i've been fighting with getting the carbonation just right for the diet coke.
I've thought about making a jack & coke keg or a gin & tonic on tap. Anything you have to do differently?

I've got better carbonation hooking CO2 up to liquid in port, although not much.... other than that I don't really do much differently. My wife wants me to make a keg of vodka tonic, so I'll be trying that soon. Kegged nitro cold brew sounds fantastic. How well does it keep?

I've got better carbonation hooking CO2 up to liquid in port, although not much.... other than that I don't really do much differently. My wife wants me to make a keg of vodka tonic, so I'll be trying that soon. Kegged nitro cold brew sounds fantastic. How well does it keep?
I ended up buying some cheap carbonating keg lids off amazon. They seem to carbonate really well.

The nitro cold brew is amazing. I make 5gal of concentrate using a Brewista Pro 2 and dillute 50:50. I end up killing a keg of it in about 3-4 weeks. i end up purging the air out of the second keg and keeping it in the outside fridge, it seems to keep really well. I've found that it takes about 50psi to get a nice creamy cascading head.

Back