Hard lemon-lime or wine - Methanol question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g8eleven

Reaction score
I have been making ciders now for a few years and recently got into making fruit wines. My question would be if I produce a hard lemon-lime beverage or wine and use 100% juices not from concentrate in the must does this pose a risk for elevated methanol levels. I'm not sure how much pectin lemon and lime juices contain compared to Apple or pear juices. The juices I will be using are made by Santa Cruz and are 100% juice (pasturized).Thanks in advance!

I have been making ciders now for a few years and recently got into making fruit wines. My question would be if I produce a hard lemon-lime beverage or wine and use 100% juices not from concentrate in the must does this pose a risk for elevated methanol levels. I'm not sure how much pectin lemon and lime juices contain compared to Apple or pear juices. The juices I will be using are made by Santa Cruz and are 100% juice (pasturized).Thanks in advance!

No, why would it have any risk factor for methanol? I would just watch out for sodium benzoate or other preservatives that might inhibit fermentation.

I have heard many times before that methanol is produced during fermentation of certain fruits because of pectin content breakdown within the juice. The general consensus in Apple ciders and wines seems to be that it is insignificant. I was hoping to get an opinion of that as far as citrus fruits go.

It would be more insignificant in citrus, unless you're using the rinds. Apples and berries seem to have the most pectin, along with citrus peels.

It's pretty insignificant in non-distilled wines, meads, or ciders, regardless of source.

The treatment for methanol poisoning is ethanol, interestingly enough. So, there is no problem with non-distilled beverages, ever.

Back