Harbor Freight pump for HERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p40whk

Reaction score
While walking through Harbor Freight tools last night to pick up some tools I spotted THIS pump on the shelf for $34 ($27 with coupon).

Yes it's dirt cheap but it does have a Stainless Steel pump housing, adaptable fittings, and produces about 3.4 GPM.

I picked one up even though I'm a long ways away from getting my system anywhere close to running. Build quality is decent but it's only 12 volts so you'd either need a battery or transformer to run it.

Was wondering if anyone else had tried these?

I would be careful.

First, there is no temperature rating on it so pumping hot wort through it may be a crap shoot.

Second, even though it has a stainless steel housing does not automatically make it food safe. There are other things like the sears and the lubrication on the impeller that also need to be food safe.

Thanks dmc,

I figured it was a long shot and had planned to open one up to see what was inside. Probably not good for brewing but if not, I can always use it to pump out the bilge in my boat!

I've used that pump to transfer drinking water from a holding tank into my RV while dry camping and after drinking the water, I'm still here to post about it.

They are pretty noisy.

I tried running one of those off my tractor to water some grass seed way out in back. I wouldn't bother with it. It says its self-priming - it is not. It produces a lot of heat which may effect temperature control, not sure on that with a HERMS system. It is also very noisy. Also, with Harbor Freight stuff, I only use them for stuff where its not a game-ender if it breaks right in the middle of what I'm using it for. In the middle of a brew day, not sure it fits the bill. Best case, it just stops working and you have to run out and pick up a new pump. Worst case, something gets out of alignment and it spits a bunch of metal or plastic shavings into your beer and ruins it.

I've used that pump to transfer drinking water from a holding tank into my RV while dry camping and after drinking the water, I'm still here to post about it.

They are pretty noisy.

There is still the question of how much heat this thing can take before seals fail, propeller jams, etc.

Thanks dmc,

I figured it was a long shot andhad planned to open one up to see what was inside.
I use two of those pumps for my automated corny keg washer not for wort and never had any problems.
The pump is a vane positive displacement type, requires a good 12 V DC, 10 A power supply and is not designed for continuous operation.
The pump has great suction and doesn't require to be filled for my setup.
My pumps are mounted above the supply tanks.

For temperature rating I would contact Pacific Hydrostar, the manufacturer.

100_4016.jpg

100_3960.jpg

I use a Harbor Freight submersible pump to pump ice water through my chiller. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back