Happy Independence Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
242 years & the United States of America is still going strong, Happy birthday America!

id4.jpg

Uh, we only DECLARED independence on July 4, 1776. We didn't ACHIEVE it until Sep 3, 1783 (Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War.

I compare it to telling your parents you're declaring your independence on July 4, 1776 but not actually moving out until Sep 3, 1783. You weren't independent at all.

Uh, we only DECLARED independence on July 4, 1776. We didn't ACHIEVE it until Sep 3, 1783 (Treaty of Paris ending the Revolutionary War.

I compare it to telling your parents you're declaring your independence on July 4, 1776 but not actually moving out until Sep 3, 1783. You weren't independent at all.

Buzzkill.

If you know the risk taken by the signers of the declaration, you'd be a little more appreciative of the day. Indeed, some of then were of the wealthiest men in the country at the time, but died paupers, mainly as a result of their decision. As England was the strongest military in the world at the time, and a monarchy also, signing the declaration was treasonous and punishable by death.

Actually, most of the signors approved it on July 2. It was accepted by the continental congress, and presented to the american public, on July 4. Regardless of which date you choose, and although the holiday wasn't formally recognized for another 100 yrs, the founding forefathers recognized it as the seminal moment in our country's birth. Wrote John Adams, the day “will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival” and that the celebration should include “Pomp and Parade…Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other.”

I had a long conversation with a german guy yesterday. While we are a fairly introspective and neurotic country, you'd be surprised how much the rest of the world admires the USA. It's something to be proud of, and to continue to nurture. Read the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution and (if you're ambitious) the Federalist papers.

Here's a little american spirit for you all. Man, country music is the most patriotic music!

If you know the risk taken by the signers of the declaration, you'd be a little more appreciative of the day. Indeed, some of then were of the wealthiest men in the country at the time, but died paupers, mainly as a result of their decision. As England was the strongest military in the world at the time, and a monarchy also, signing the declaration was treasonous and punishable by death.

Actually, most of the signors approved it on July 2. It was accepted by the continental congress, and presented to the american public, on July 4. Regardless of which date you choose, and although the holiday wasn't formally recognized for another 100 yrs, the founding forefathers recognized it as the seminal moment in our country's birth. Wrote John Adams, the day “will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival” and that the celebration should include “Pomp and Parade…Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other.”

I had a long conversation with a german guy yesterday. While we are a fairly introspective and neurotic country, you'd be surprised how much the rest of the world admires the USA. It's something to be proud of, and to continue to nurture. Read the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution and (if you're ambitious) the Federalist papers.

Here's a little american spirit for you all. Man, country music is the most patriotic music!

Not totally related, but in the series John Adams, when John Adams, as our country's first Ambassador to the Court of St. James, goes to meet George; George's admitting he was the last to agree to our independence but on accepting the inevitable, to welcome us as equals in the comity of nations....well, very moving thing. We were every bit English, and felt as if a father had betrayed us. I think that adds to the pathos of our separation.

I agree, we can celebrate all we want, but it SHOULD be for the right reasons and dates specified. As for patriotism, the first time I swore an OATH to the U.S. Constitution was in March 1972 and for 2 more reenlistments and a few more time during my 30 years as a Civil Servant.

As a History major, I've read all of those articles about what happened to the signers. As for the signatures, MOST of them weren't signed until Aug 2. The document dated 2 July was only a draft.

Here's where it gets interesting: Per WIKI: The signing of the United States Declaration of Independence occurred primarily on August 2, 1776 at the Pennsylvania State House, Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The 56 delegates to the Second Continental Congress represented the 13 former colonies which had declared themselves the "United States of America," and they endorsed the Declaration of Independence which the Congress had approved on July 4, 1776. The Declaration proclaimed that the former Thirteen Colonies then at war with Great Britain were now a sovereign, independent nation and thus no longer a part of the British Empire.

Here's where it gets interesting: We declared on July 4, 1776, we sighed the Treaty of Paris on Sep 3, 1783...and Washington wasn't elected until 1789...

IF we DID were "declared themselves the "United States of America," and they endorsed the Declaration of Independence which the Congress had approved on July 4, 1776.", then the 15 Presidents BEFORE Washington WERE the FIRST Presidents of the United States.

But, they are not...because we were neither INDEPENDENT or the United States of America until we were OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED as the United States of America and an INDEPENDENT country by Great Britain.

I'm originally from Camden NJ, born near the base of the Ben Franklin Bridge and within sight of Philly. I also lived in Philly for a couple of years while growing up and have taken my wife and grandkids to Independence Hall a number of times.

I also lived in Germany or 9 years and know a lot of their history too.

Happy 4th!

Back