Hansen valves question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgcarrick

Reaction score
Pretty new to kegging here, but it's the 3rd best decision I've made since I started brewing 8 months ago. 2nd best was all grain, and 1st was deciding to homebrew!

Anyway an online retailer is selling ball lock kegs with hansen valves. I have a question in to them regarding the nature of these valves, but they're taking their sweet time getting back to me. I figured I'd turn to HBtalk.

What are these valves? Internet research turns up little info. Can I use normal ball lock disconnects? Do I need special connectors etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hansen is a brand of ball-lock connector. That being said, unless specifically stated in the ad, the style/size of connectors on this retailer's kegs may or may or be standard.

I was looking into these "hansen valve" kegs too......I'd be interesting in hearing any feedback on them also. I'm hoping the standard ball lock connector will fit just the same on these.

B3-2530.jpg

Hanson brand ball lock disconnects are All Stainless Steel.
I own a couple of sets. Expensive but a really good product.

DSC00730c.JPG
- -
DSC00731c.JPG

Big difference in the angle of the output fitting.

Are you looking at the ones at beverage factory? I see the Hansen ones are $20 cheaper than their other ones and i'm not certain why I should, or shouldn't order these kegs (it will be my first keg). I'd hate to make the wrong decision!!

So, you'd have to use Hansen SS disconnects or will the standard disconnects work with these kegs?

edit: Just looked at it looks like the hansen valve is the pressure release valve. They have the standard pressure release valves on their more expensive kegs, and these hansen ones have a different lid with a different valve.

tn2_hansenlid040511100855.jpg

Are you looking at the ones at beverage factory? I see the Hansen ones are $20 cheaper than their other ones and i'm not certain why I should, or shouldn't order these kegs (it will be my first keg). I'd hate to make the wrong decision!!

So, you'd have to use Hansen SS disconnects or will the standard disconnects work with these kegs?

edit: Just looked at it looks like the hansen valve is the pressure release valve. They have the standard pressure release valves on their more expensive kegs, and these hansen ones have a different lid with a different valve.

tn2_hansenlid040511100855.jpg

anyone know if it is possible to open that valve? otherwise how would you purge your keg?

I'm wondering the same thing. I will be purchasing 2 kegs soon (probably from Beverage Factory) and was wondering how you purge that valve on that lid. It is different from the other kegs I have seen.

That lid is from a pin lock keg. The valve is an over pressure relief valve. It cannot be manualy operated to relieve pressure in the keg.

B3-2530.jpg

Hanson brand ball lock disconnects are All Stainless Steel.
I own a couple of sets. Expensive but a really good product.

DSC00730c.JPG
- -
DSC00731c.JPG

Big difference in the angle of the output fitting.

So you are saying Hansen ball locks only take a SS disconnect?

No, the only difference is the pressure relief mechanism in the lid, all other parts are the same and any ball lock QD's will fit on the posts.

Alright, good to hear.

So they are actually a good deal? Only thing you have to do differently is remove the gas QD and press the "little ball" to relieve the pressure?

Alright, good to hear.

So they are actually a good deal? Only thing you have to do differently is remove the gas QD and press the "little ball" to relieve the pressure?

Yep. I'd use something blunt so that the top of the poppet doesn't get scratched up too much.

Back