Hangover secrets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair all of this is ********. All depends on age.

13-18 hangover every time I drank
18-22 drink all night. Sleep all day
23-25 drink and Drugs.

**** it. I kept trying to add after this and I got nothing.

Think I learnt the stop drinking when I have had enough, yet also drank lots of water pretty early in life.

Get old, drink water.

Also drink daily. It helps. Srs.

I know im getting older by the fact that my hangovers are starting to last full days instead of just a few hours. I dread the time in my life when hangovers last longer than a day. I think at that point i'll just ask someone to ole yeller me and I'll know that I lived my best life.
Think you skipped some posts.

Get older, not get hangovers. Seems
That is the way to go.

I had a hangover in the 90’s, it sucked. I decided to avoid them since then.

To be fair all of this is ********. All depends on age.

13-18 hangover every time I drank
18-22 drink all night. Sleep all day
23-25 drink and Drugs.

**** it. I kept trying to add after this and I got nothing.

Think I learnt the stop drinking when I have had enough, yet also drank lots of water pretty early in life.

Get old, drink water.

Also drink daily. It helps. Srs.

Mine is different.
13-18: no hangover whatsoever
18-21: mild hangover, less if you puke before bed
21-25: hangovers intensify
26-29: hangovers continue to intensify
30+ can barely even drink anymore

Think you skipped some posts.

Get older, not get hangovers. Seems
That is the way to go.

I had a hangover in the 90’s, it sucked. I decided to avoid them since then.

Your experience seems like an outlier.
I dont get hangovers often, but over time theyve become longer and more annoying when I do get them.

Your experience seems like an outlier.
I dont get hangovers often, but over time theyve become longer and more annoying when I do get them.
I think I'm trending more towards tosh. While I still get hangovers, when I was younger I'd get them so bad it hurt to live. Hours of nausea and an all day headache. Now I might get a slight headache and body aches but not the nausea.

I always chalked it up to drinking a lot more quantity of swill back then but I've tied one on a bunch this last year and I haven't been deathly ill the next day.

The key is to know your current tolerance, drink plenty of water while drinking...and if you really drank too much, drink ome water before bed, then keep 1/3 cran juice and 2/3 water in a 32 oz cup and drink throughout the night. Works for me anyway. Then again I've been on keto so lately its been 6-7ozs of bourbon a day max, which as long as you don't drink it all at once you shouldn't really have a hangover.

I am always game for experimenting with food options. Especially regional Mexican dishes. Minus ******** cilantro.

Pozole
53423e00-6d96-4bdf-831e-4708131726ec--pozole.JPG

Menudo

20090728-tripe-soup-primary.jpg

Birria de Chivo

Birria+de+Chivo.jpg

Chilaquiles

ATK-Chilaquiles-LEDE02.jpg

Tortas ahogadas

48142e23-3337-45ab-a4e4-23c224f46f50.jpg

I am always game for experimenting with food options. Especially regional Mexican dishes. Minus ******** cilantro.

Pozole

Menudo

Birria de Chivo

Birria+de+Chivo.jpg

Chilaquiles

Tortas ahogadas

My family, well, my aunts anyway, would start making the massive pots of Menudo the day before any big party, or hell, most weekends, for the men to eat the next day.

I got intro'd to hangover Menudo at much too young and age. But that's how it went in mexican culture.

If you've ever watched Menudo being made from scratch, at least as a kid, it's borderline traumatizing. You got your grandma cutting up a cows stomach in the kitchen, then boiling it for hours.

Oddly, I still crave it whenever I smell it.

My family, well, my aunts anyway, would start making the massive pots of Menudo the day before any big party, or hell, most weekends, for the men to eat the next day.

I got intro'd to hangover Menudo at much too young and age. But that's how it went in mexican culture.

If you've ever watched Menudo being made from scratch, at least as a kid, it's borderline traumatizing. You got your grandma cutting up a cows stomach in the kitchen, then boiling it for hours.

Oddly, I still crave it whenever I smell it.

Being Italian, tripe was eaten a lot as a kid growing up. Not sure how I would feel about it now.

I think I'm trending more towards tosh. While I still get hangovers, when I was younger I'd get them so bad it hurt to live. Hours of nausea and an all day headache. Now I might get a slight headache and body aches but not the nausea.

I always chalked it up to drinking a lot more quantity of swill back then but I've tied one on a bunch this last year and I haven't been deathly ill the next day.

Same here actually. I used to be a can't drink or I'm a waste the next day type. Now I just dont let myself be and the hangover goes away quickly.

Mine is different.
13-18: no hangover whatsoever
18-21: mild hangover, less if you puke before bed
21-25: hangovers intensify
26-29: hangovers continue to intensify
30+ can barely even drink anymore

I'm on this schedule. After year 30 I was introduced to two new realities:
1) I can get hungover even if I didn't get "drunk"
2) Hangovers can now last two days with day 1 being more existential/depression type (along with physical of course) and then day 2 the traditional physical hangover.
It really sucks...

Also, in my 20s I believed heavily in "very spicy Chilaquiles" and a few pots of coffee as restorative... but now see any food as a hangover multiplier. I think its important to eat and let the body restore but try to keep it low quantity, low impact and easily digestible. Always skip the Gravy Based breakfasts for a little oatmeal. Soup for lunch instead of cheeseburger. Etc.

At some point I reckon these feelings are going to make my give up drinking entirely. Got too many other interests being neglected by the multiple days I lose for one day of grooving =(

I'm on this schedule. After year 30 I was introduced to two new realities:
1) I can get hungover even if I didn't get "drunk"
2) Hangovers can now last two days with day 1 being more existential/depression type (along with physical of course) and then day 2 the traditional physical hangover.
It really sucks...

Also, in my 20s I believed heavily in "very spicy Chilaquiles" and a few pots of coffee as restorative... but now see any food as a hangover multiplier. I think its important to eat and let the body restore but try to keep it low quantity, low impact and easily digestible. Always skip the Gravy Based breakfasts for a little oatmeal. Soup for lunch instead of cheeseburger. Etc.

At some point I reckon these feelings are going to make my give up drinking entirely. Got too many other interests being neglected by the multiple days I lose for one day of grooving =(

i’m in the same boat with age, right after hitting 30 i remember having a late night beer and was feeling it hard the next day.

i remember thinking wtf is going on? i used to use the sunrise as my queue to stop drinking, and be as fine as can be the next day at 19-22 but it’s a whole new ball game now

i have to start earlier and end earlier now :(

Preventative: Hydrate prior to drinking, hydrate a little during, and as much as possible before bed. I've also had moderate luck with pounding half a jug of pedialyte right before bed and the other half in the morning.

Reactionary: Diet Coke and B Vitamin complex. I guess drinking water just flushes your system further, diet coke is high in sodium and will help maintain minerals that you need to recuperate. For meals I have had good luck with ramen or pho. I've also had luck reducing hangover symptom by swimming in a cold lake or taking a cold shower... in the winter soaking in a hot bath has helped.

I personally stay away from coffee as it's a diuretic and it just ramps up the anxiety. I also stay away orange juice or anything acidic.

If all else fails, I just remember that I'm one beer away from a great day.

Pozole

Menudo

Birria de Chivo

Birria+de+Chivo.jpg

Chilaquiles

Tortas ahogadas

Pozole is my go to know if I'm going to a beer festival with friends. Just start the crock pot in the morning and bam no one has to do dinner when everyone is drunk.
I tend to stick to the 1:1 water rule. Not only does it keep you hydrated but just naturally spreads out your drinking which is great when you know you will be going at it from sun up to past sun down.
If all else fails a chorizo breakfast burrito and a Gatorade tend to do the trick.

Back in the college days my go-to would be grabbing a medley of beverages including but not limited to Gatorade, Coca Cola, chocolate milk, and some sort of fruit juice. Downing all four in the first hour or two of waking up always had me right back in action.

These days, I find preventative measures work best, often employing 1:1 beer and water technique and then also downing a quart or two of water before bed. If I fail to do that, next morning remedies typically include some sort of electrolyte beverage coupled with a delayed onset hangover that starts late morning and runs through the late afternoon.

this is close to what i do with la croix, and never have a hangover.

plus, mother in law isn't the wiser that i'm getting thrashed sitting in my home office.
Vodka and HEB sparkling water w/ lime is like my go to drink if I'm not drinking beer and am imbibing.

Being of Eastern European descent, I think a love for that clear drink is built in at birth.

Hangover cure: Breakfast Tacos and Topo Chico. 2 gigantic Torchy's chorizo, egg, potato, and cheese tacos with hot sauce will do the trick every time. Wash that **** down with 2 Topos and you're at 110%.

7108505649_dd7bb13f54_b.jpg

Back