Hand touched beer in keg..will beer be ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdwolfe273

Reaction score
So I was having some difficulties with my carbonating stone and the lid on the corny wouldn't seal right with the rising pressure. I figured I may as well just force carb over ten days instead and would need to rip out the carb stone. When reaching in the corny my hand came into contact with the beer and the foam that had developed from the carb stone.

What are the chances of an infection from this at this point? I washed my hands before doing any of this. The beer is 9% ABV. It was already chilled to 38 degrees and will remain that way until the keg is empty. I am thinking the chance of infection by now is low given this and the fact that the contact was fairly brief...but want to get other opinions.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

(btw...the lid sealed fine now that I took out the stone and cranked the pressure up to about 13-14 psi)

Your doomed. Better send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you. ;)

Glynn said:
Your doomed. Better send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you. ;)

Hahaha. Normally I wouldn't have even posted and just waited to see what happens. But I really REALLY want to dispose of this one safely myself ;)

It is a southern tier pumking clone that turned out fairly well. I'm thinking for next time it needs a tiny bit more spice and maybe slightly more vanilla. But I also haven't done my side by side yet. Only problem I tasted when it was cold and flat is a little bit of fusel alcohol...but it is at least 9% ABV. So I expected some level of booziness to it lol.

Thanks for making my spoiled beer fears lessen guys!

You touched it, now you'll have to drink all of it. ;-)

You'll be fine, don't worry about it.
:mug:

Back