had to split hops for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
I got a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone from Austin Home Brew. The kit came with 3 bags of hops and the recipe called for 4 hop additions, 1 being a dry hop in the secondary. The second bag of Cascade hops I split(called for .5 ounce addition at flame out, but was in a 1 ounce bag). So I measured them into .5 ounce portions and put them in ziplocks and wrapped the 2nd baggie in tin foil(from what I read hops are light sensitive)...Is this ok, using the tin foil?

Did you chant the proper invocation?

No problem, stick them in the fridge or freezer, if you can find the space. You'll be using them soon, so no worries!

"HopsstayfreshsoIcanmakemorebrew-DEO"

You have to say that five times, do a James Brown-style split, then kiss the packaging, or else Bacchus doesn't grant your freshness wish.

Seriously, though, keep as much air as possible out of the zip-lock bag, and throw them in the fridge, and they'll stay fresh for a good 4-6 months.

Freezer is best,fridge,not so much. They'll degrade faster in the fridge. Freezing slows that process way down.

Back