Had to add an extra gallon during tye sparge to get to get proper temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joydivision

Reaction score
I'm brewing California Common Amber Amber clone. My sparge pal calculator told me to mash 3.1 gallons. I couldn't get the temp past 145 so I added quarts until I got to 150. However aver 20 minutes or so I noticed it was only in the high 140s. I added another gallon and finally got it in the mid 150s. It ended up being 2 gallons over. The result is I mashed at 145 for about 20 minutes roughly 148 another 20 minutes and for the past hour I've been mashing at around 153. That's 2.15 per gallon.

What are the adverse affects of this? Do I need to adjust my brewing any?

I'm brewing California Common Amber Amber clone. My sparge pal calculator told me to mash 3.1 gallons. I couldn't get the temp past 145 so I added quarts until I got to 150. However aver 20 minutes or so I noticed it was only in the high 140s. I added another gallon and finally got it in the mid 150s. It ended up being 2 gallons over. The result is I mashed at 145 for about 20 minutes roughly 148 another 20 minutes and for the past hour I've been mashing at around 153. That's 2.15 per gallon.

What are the adverse affects of this? Do I need to adjust my brewing any?

You may have a thinner bodied beer from mashing at under 150 for 40 minutes, and it may finish a bit lower for the FG. Other than that, it should not be any different.

Back