Hacking an Brewhouse kit to make dark/black/cascadian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hhhcameron

Reaction score
Hi I'm newish to brewing having done around 10 kits so far. My next style I'm aiming for will be a dark IPA and I was kind of thinking of taking the IPA kit and adding:

1lbs debittered/dehusked balck malt
maybe some other carafa ii or iii for upping the body potentially
another oz hops in the boil and 1 oz dry hopped

otherswise my other plan was to take the dark lager kit changing the yeast and going the same kind of route as the other recipe just upping the hops by quite a bit. The reason for this route is that I've done a stout with this kit and I feel if I did the same recipe just a lot hoppier it would be a similiar style as I'm looking for.

If anyone has any other ideas or has done something similiar please let me know.

Hoppy Brewing :)

You could use chocolate wheat instead. It'll add color, body, and should give you a smooth roasted bitterness since wheat doesn't have husk. You might want to add more caramel malt than you normally would to balance the additional bitterness from the roasted malt.

Back