Habanero Peppers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsinnott

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a batch with any peppers?
If so how did you do it?
When did you put the peppers in, Boil? Fermentation?
How much did you use?
Did you have to do anything to the peppers before you introduced them?

Thanks,

Matt

I did one with 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes added with 5 minutes left in the boil. It was awesome... It had a little bit of a burn to it.

I add 1 pepper per gallon plus 1 or 2 to secondary fermenter for a few days- week. I remove seeds and soak in vodka first.

I've added one habanero to 5 gallons of an IPA and it was a nice hint of heat on the background. Next time I'll likely add 2 habs to get a little more heat that last over time. I've also done a stout before where I used one red hot chili pepper and one dried anchor pepper (soaked in vodka for 1-2 weeks) for five gallons. That beer is really good and most people who have had it really enjoy it. Has a good pepper flavor and some heat on the back end.

I'm gonna brew an IIPA soon with 1 ghost for heat some 15 minutes left in the boil, with 1 scorpion & two fatalii's after primary is done for flavor, maybe a lil more heat?

I've brewed a habanero ipa a couple times(inspired by Ballast Point). I settled on "dry-hopping" 2 de-seeded habanero's for about a week in a 5 gallon batch. Came out with excellent aroma, a fruity-pepper flavor, but didn't scorch the palate. One of my favorites.

I'm gonna brew an IIPA soon with 1 ghost for heat some 15 minutes left in the boil, with 1 scorpion & two fatalii's after primary is done for flavor, maybe a lil more heat?

Why would you ruin an IIPA like that? That will be completely undrinkable

My girlfriend grew a habanero plant this summer. It has been great in jelly. Thinking of putting it in a beer. Just drank my first ballast point. Liked it but would like mine to be less hot. Would you all recommend just one for 5 gallons?

I'm getting ready to bottle a habanero mango IPA these weekend and made a tincture with the peppers. I deseeded 3 habaneros and soaked them in 3 oz of good vodka. That way I can easily adjust the heat at bottling time. Any leftover vodka will go into spicy Bloody Marys :drunk:

I do a habanero wee heavy that I love. Find the Traquair House clone recipe floating around this board. Add 3 or 4 dried habaneros per 5 gallons to secondary (or primary once activity has ended). I soak the dried habaneros in a few ounces of liquor for a few days before adding them, crush them a bit so the liquor can penetrate, add the liquor and peppers to the beer.

The peppers help balance the sweetness of the wee heavy without making it a complete glass of fire. Yummy.

I recently made a smoked saison with habanero. I prepped 1 habanero and 2 Zavory peppers (a tame habanero hybrid from Burpee, same flavor and aroma but mild heat) by halving, deseeding and soaking in vodka. I put them in a giant SS tea ball and suspended them in my keg with dental floss. After about a week I removed them and repeated the process with another identical batch of peppers. It tastes great, lots of habanero flavor and smell with only moderate heat. The Zavorys initially trick you into thinking it's a lot hotter than it is.

Latest posts

Back