Gushing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I ve made a batch like 3 months ago. All was fine but now I noticed the last few bottles left from that batch, when opening the bottle it gushes and does not stop foaming as if it is infected.
I would say as if infected because all the other 30 bottles or so did not gush and the last 4 opened that did gush taste perfectly fine.
The only thing that changed is temperature where i store them did go up but the mkre recent batch which is stored in the same room does not gush.

Anyone had similar experience or know anything about it?

Infection can take months to show up as gushing. Opening the cap extremely slowly can mitigate the geyser effect, and the beer may still be drinkable.

Can you describe your bottling process a bit? I think that will help us potentially diagnose what's going on here. How did you add priming sugar when you were bottling? It's possible if you dissolved the sugar in water first and then added to the beer that you didn't get very good mix and by chance the ones that got just a little too much sugar are the ones you're just now getting to. Same could happen if you just added non-dissolved sugar to the beer before bottling that all the sugar didn't dissolve right away and the final couple of beers you bottled got more sugar than the rest.

Last edited:
Infection can take months to show up as gushing. Opening the cap extremely slowly can mitigate the geyser effect, and the beer may still be drinkable.

Maybe.... i had a couple before that were infected as initially there was an aftertaste so i knew it was infected and after a while it was awful.

But this one is different story but maybe could be the case that there was a build up after some weeks because it has been 3 months since bittling for sure.

Can you describe your bottling process a bit? I think that will help us potentially diagnose what's going on here. How did you add priming sugar when you were bottling? It's possible if you dissolved the sugar in water first and then added to the beer that you didn't get very good mix and by chance the ones that got just a little too much sugar are the ones you're just now getting to. Same could happen if you just added non-dissolved sugar to the beer before bottling that all the sugar didn't dissolve right away and the final couple of beers you bottled got more sugar than the rest.

I batch prime, dissolve sugar and stir it gently. The thing is lets say over 30 bottles opened perfectly and then i left these 6 bottles there and now i noticed it has been a while and thought to finish them off. These 6 one by one are all doing the same thing unlike the first 30...

I batch prime, dissolve sugar and stir it gently. The thing is lets say over 30 bottles opened perfectly and then i left these 6 bottles there and now i noticed it has been a while and thought to finish them off. These 6 one by one are all doing the same thing unlike the first 30...
I'm leaning towards likely an infection then. What's your process for cleaning/sanitizing your bottles?

I'm leaning towards likely an infection then. What's your process for cleaning/sanitizing your bottles?

I submerge in oxichemipro solution leave for a while there like 20 mins then i rinse them with almost boil water from the kettle and hang them to the bottle tree. Then bottle and sanitise caps and seal.

Maybe a mild infection which is growing overtime..... i dont really get it but the effect is it as if it is infected but tasted still good....

I submerge in oxichemipro solution leave for a while there like 20 mins then i rinse them with almost boil water from the kettle and hang them to the bottle tree. Then bottle and sanitise caps and seal.

Maybe a mild infection which is growing overtime..... i dont really get it but the effect is it as if it is infected but tasted still good....
I think that's your problem right there. That product you listed is a cleaner not a sanitizer. Apparently it's marketed as both but from what I've read (it could be wrong) there are no active sanitizing ingredients in that Chemipro Oxi. After you clean your bottles you should use a sanitizer like StarSan to kill off any remaining baddies your cleaner wasn't able to take care of.

I had some random gushers awhile back. I checked the SG of them and it was about 1.001 IIRC. My FG when bottled was 1.010 maybe a point or two more.

Someone suggested and I tend to believe that it might have been from bottles I used previously for a sour beer and may not have been cleaned and sanitized adequately. So I since soaked all my bottles in a solution with chlorine bleach for probably almost an hour and haven't had an issue in the many batches since.

I also found out that if I put a cold bottle from the refrigerator into the freezer for almost 30 minutes, then I could pour the beer into a glass without it foaming too bad. However at that temp, the beer had little taste.

I think that's your problem right there. That product you listed is a cleaner not a sanitizer. Apparently it's marketed as both but from what I've read (it could be wrong) there are no active sanitizing ingredients in that Chemipro Oxi. After you clean your bottles you should use a sanitizer like StarSan to kill off any remaining baddies your cleaner wasn't able to take care of.

Im in Europe Malta and there is no brew stores here unfortunately. I buy everything online. Never found from where I can starsan, maybe u should try the bleach technique to sanitise.....

I buy grains. This was an AG recipe/method.

Keep them in sealable jars when there is anyleftover and usually it is new as I buy packs of 2kgs.

just wanted to make sure it wasn't moldy malt, that stuff is bad news...

edit: i just remembered someone else in europe someplace, said they got moldy malt from the vendor...be careful with them.

Last edited:
Chill the bottles down to 32F. The alcohol will keep them from freezing but you really increase the solubility of the carbon dioxide in the bottle, that'll help limit the gushing when you open them.

Chill the bottles down to 32F. The alcohol will keep them from freezing but you really increase the solubility of the carbon dioxide in the bottle, that'll help limit the gushing when you open them.

Will try it out iv got like 3 bottles left from this batch :)

Back