Gumbo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman1000

Reaction score
You know you are making it right if you are completely drunk by the time it is ready. One for the goose and two for the gander. :tank:

I made some last week, thinking I had a pretty simple recipe. It took me three hours, but turned out excellent. Gumbo is something not to be rushed.

Living in NOLA, we make all types of gumbo. One of my favorite (besides seafood) is with the leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. My wife makes awesome turkey and andouille gumbo and I'd love some right about now.

I love making gumbo, and long ago gave up using a recipe. I make my own sausage for it, but beyond that, I find the most important thing is to get the roux to the right color. I hate pasty gumbo, so get the roux dark and the rest will sort itself out.

I love making gumbo, and long ago gave up using a recipe. I make my own sausage for it, but beyond that, I find the most important thing is to get the roux to the right color. I hate pasty gumbo, so get the roux dark and the rest will sort itself out.

When I read the pasty gumbo part I almost spit my coffee out. My grandmother came up to Michigan years ago from Lake Charles and had some gumbo at a local establishment. After a few spoons she looked up and said this is pasty flavorless yankee gumbo. So yeah, taking care of that roux is top notch priority. Every Cajun has a different way of going at it as well.

I remember my dad watching Justin Wilson and trying to duplicate recipes.

I remember listening to Justin Wilson comedy spots on the radio with my dad in the car when I was really young, and long before I ever saw his cooking show.

My mother-in-law taught me how to make seafood Gumbo down on the coast in western Mississippi about 10 years ago, which was great because the seafood was so fantastic! Biggest difference between mine and her's and mine is the time I spend on the roux. And the smell when the veggies hit that smokin'hot roux is just awesome!

Gumbo Roux.jpg

Gumbo Veg in Roux.jpg

The versatility of gumbo is one of the things I really like about it. You can add just about anything to it. I also enjoy making it bc I put about as much wine in me as I do in the gumbo. That's a good looking roux up dar Staestc!!

I also like that its kind of a fridge cleaner dish. "Well... this was going to go bad if I didnt use it so in the pot it went"

anybody had success baking a roux? I stopped doing the stovetop deal and started microwaving my roux the last few times I made a gumbo. It was close but not exact.. just looking for some experience or guidelines..

anybody had success baking a roux? I stopped doing the stovetop deal and started microwaving my roux the last few times I made a gumbo. It was close but not exact.. just looking for some experience or guidelines..

I start my roux in the convection oven... I've never been able to get it dark enough like that though. I transfer it to the pot and continue browning. It does allow me to do other prep work while the roux is cooking though.

I start my roux in the convection oven... I've never been able to get it dark enough like that though. I transfer it to the pot and continue browning. It does allow me to do other prep work while the roux is cooking though.

wow, I hadn't considered both the oven and pot. That's a great idea.. thanks! I like a darker roux myself too, but always seemed to scorch it just doing the stovetop.

I remember listening to Justin Wilson comedy spots on the radio with my dad in the car when I was really young, and long before I ever saw his cooking show.

My mother-in-law taught me how to make seafood Gumbo down on the coast in western Mississippi about 10 years ago, which was great because the seafood was so fantastic! Biggest difference between mine and her's and mine is the time I spend on the roux. And the smell when the veggies hit that smokin'hot roux is just awesome!

Just freakin beautiful!

You guys have probably already seen my gumbo thread, but if you haven't here's the link:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/making-gumbo-pictures-484388/

I'm going to have to give baking a try, then finishing on the burner. It would be nice to get it baking, then use that free time to prep everything else!

I have a batch going right now.. Took a little longer to get to roux as dark as I wanted it but all is good. Better to take too long than try to rush it.

Tonight it is Turkety tenderloins, andouille and shrimp.

Now down to the beer fridge to see what will taste good with the gumbo.

Those of you using the oven to brown you roux, are you still using a 1:1 ratio of oil to flour? On the stove top I use 2 parts flour to 1 part oil, but it requires my complete attention to get it right. I'd love to bake my roux if it meant I could keep the 2:1 ratio.

Those of you using the oven to brown you roux, are you still using a 1:1 ratio of oil to flour? On the stove top I use 2 parts flour to 1 part oil, but it requires my complete attention to get it right. I'd love to bake my roux if it meant I could keep the 2:1 ratio.

I use 1:1, but haven't ventured to try any other ratio.

When I have done it in the oven, it was about the standard 1:1, that was years ago in my earlier Gumbo days, I find that, like you, the roux turns out a lot better when it's a bit thicker. Not sure who came up with that 1:1 thing but I started just adding oil until it's "right". Maybe it's supposed to be 1:1 by weight, not volume?? I honestly think you could do a thicker roux in the oven, but I stopped using the oven because it was taking like 1.5 hours or something crazy, and on the stove I can do it in 30-45 easy.

Living in NOLA, we make all types of gumbo. One of my favorite (besides seafood) is with the leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. My wife makes awesome turkey and andouille gumbo and I'd love some right about now.

Not to nit pick, but why has this not shown up in any of the packages.
Not feeling the NOLA love man. ;)

Back