Gumballhead clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestorm159

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals I recently brewed a Gumballhead clone I purchased from Adventures in Hombrewing. According to them the pre boil gravity should be 1.049 the og 1.053 and the final 1.014. using White Labs 001. I ended up with pre boil gravity of 1.048 a og of 1.061 with the correct post boil volume. I bottled the beer tonight and took a reading and came up with 1.006. My question is why did it down so low? I know I was reading correctly. Well even uncarbinated the beer smells and taste awesome. I'm just confused about my numbers. I guess it doesn't matter as long as the beer is good. Thanks.:mug:

Hi Guys and Gals I recently brewed a Gumballhead clone I purchased from Adventures in Hombrewing. According to them the pre boil gravity should be 1.049 the og 1.053 and the final 1.014. using White Labs 001. I ended up with pre boil gravity of 1.048 a og of 1.061 with the correct post boil volume. I bottled the beer tonight and took a reading and came up with 1.006. My question is why did it down so low? I know I was reading correctly. Well even uncarbinated the beer smells and taste awesome. I'm just confused about my numbers. I guess it doesn't matter as long as the beer is good. Thanks.:mug:

It could be that your mash temperature dropped below the expected mash temperature; when I have a mash temp of under 151, I tend to get FGs in the 1.007-1.008 with most IPA grainbills.

Mash temp was 152. At the end of the mash it was probably a little under 150. This was just my 3rd all grain batch so I definitely have a lot to learn.

Mash temp was 152. At the end of the mash it was probably a little under 150. This was just my 3rd all grain batch so I definitely have a lot to learn.

I'm new to AG also and see what ya learned and you also have a beer that will taste great and be a little higher in abv but hey it'll last longer or maybe not. lol

What kind of MT do you use? I use a 10gal cooler and if I dough/mash in at 172 after preheating the tun with 2 gallons of the water then add the rest and add my grain, stir the crap out of it I hit 152 and it stays there for 60 min. I may lose .5 deg if that. Do you preheat your MT if not it helps so that you don't lose heat to the MT.

I have a 10 gallon MT. I do the same thing you do . I preheated and mashed in at 166 and hit 152 but it seems like I lost a couple of degrees. I need to be more thorough with my notes.

I am currently finishing up fermentation on a Gumballhead that was pretty close to the AIH recipe. My OG was much lower 1.048 and I mashed at 153 as most of the other clone recipes called for that temp.

I will be taking a reading tonight before dry hopping and will let you know where my FG is.

Well I tried my Gumballhead it's been in the bottle for a week and it turned out awesome! I'm really happy with it. Needless to say I'll be brewing it again. :D

I learned a while back that I wasn't losing only a degree or two in my ten gallon mash tun during a 60 minute mash, as I had previously thought. My mistake came from the fact that I was taking the mash temp at the center of the to tun. Obviously, since the heat loss is radiant heat, the mash should be cooler near the cooler walls. Check it. You'll see that you have a gradient from the wall up to the center and then down to the wall. Your loss may well be well more than a degree or two. Mine is, and now that I know it I have moved all of my "mash temps" up a few degrees, I still take the reading from the center, but I realize that I'm measuring "mash temp at the center of the mash" and that an average mash temp is probably two to three degrees lower.

Back