Guide me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonsOfLiberty

Reaction score
Gents,

Started my second batch of cider on 7/1 IG 1.60, 1.60, 1.70. 4 cans of Walmart brand FAJC per gallon (almost too sweet) trying 1.50 can old orchard FAJC to see if its worth the extra .50 per can.

FAJC distilled water and Nottingham. Day 4 today, SG already @ 1.36.

What I need help with is making a delicious cider that is scaleable if I ramp up production here in the south. No access to orchards so FAJC will have to suffice for a juice source, right?

Planning to let it bottom out, rack to secondary and backsweeten with juicy juice apple juice! Adding acid blend, stevia, and tannin until desired product is achieved.

Looking for guidance. I think im on the right track but cant hurt to seek advice.

Last pic is back of stella bottle. How hard could it be to make a better product?

20150703_123909.jpg

20150701_134227.jpg

20150701_130108.jpg

You're on the right track, but it can be very hard to make a better product! To make sweet, carbonated cider, you need to ferment dry and backsweeten, then carbonate. Probably need to force carb, so that you can leave some sweetness.

The backsweetening is where you're going to make it interesting. The other thing that we've found has a nice effect is adding tannin to give it something more substantial. Not a flavor as much as how it feels in your mouth.

Don't know that I would use distilled water. Distilled water has had all minerals removed and yeast - like any living organism - need minerals. Better might be good spring water... and acid blend includes acids that are not typically found in apples. You might want to focus on malic acid IF the cider in fact needs more bitterness... but you can only know that by tasting.

Please tell us you've misprinted those numbers and 1.60 is actually 1.060 ?

And are you intending to carbonate this?

Yes. 1.060 LOL. Yes optimally I'd like to carbonate. Contemplated leaving it still as makes things easier but...rather go semi sweet semi dry naturally carbonated, but not sure if worth it. Im leaning towards kegging and force carbing for sure. Not steel, but the cheaper disposable kegs for distribution.

You're on the right track, but it can be very hard to make a better product! To make sweet, carbonated cider, you need to ferment dry and backsweeten, then carbonate. Probably need to force carb, so that you can leave some sweetness.

The backsweetening is where you're going to make it interesting. The other thing that we've found has a nice effect is adding tannin to give it something more substantial. Not a flavor as much as how it feels in your mouth.

Thank you. Been experimenting with backsweetening w/ store brand AJC, stevia and acid blend. Just ordered tannin, itll be here tomorrow! Wine tannin is fine right?

Don't know that I would use distilled water. Distilled water has had all minerals removed and yeast - like any living organism - need minerals. Better might be good spring water... and acid blend includes acids that are not typically found in apples. You might want to focus on malic acid IF the cider in fact needs more bitterness... but you can only know that by tasting.

Thanks. I thought distilled was better since it's sterilized though, but I'm new to this..

Experimented w/ backsweetening last night w an earlier batch, made a very drinkable smooth cider @ 8% but it could definitely be better. Learned a lot.

Small amount of acid really gave it bite in the beginning. Sweetener (stevia, or AJC) gave it more body, i feel like im missing something to pull it together and finish clean (tannin?)

Also, is there a way to round out the flavor? I feel like it should be shaped like an egg. Gentle bite leading up to nice smooth peak before it slowly drops off and leaves a nice tartness making you want more, if that makes sense.

I suspect the lack of rich mouthfeel (the body) comes from the apples that make up the concentrate. Cider makers tend to use varieties of apples that lend themselves to make cider rather than apple juice. Some apples are naturally more tart (too tart to eat) while others are very tannic rich (crab apples, for example). Some apples have more fruit to water than others and so my guess is that the manufacturer of the concentrate is making the concentrate for purposes other than cider making. If you have no access to orchards than can supply juice for cider making (and even up here in apple country, not every orchard - read very few orchards - grow the apples you need to make a good cider) then perhaps you might want to focus on the kinds of fruits that your neck of the woods really knows how to grow... Your cider may be the best that can be made with the kind of fruit (or processed juice) that is available... and - for example - increased body might require maceration of the fruit with the skins - and your manufacturer (I use that word deliberately) may have no interest in allowing the fruit to sit on the skins for any length of time... They may want a product that is like a car or a computer - identical from one batch to the next whereas the sugar content, the water content etc of an apple from the same tree will vary from season to season and from the position of the apple on the tree and from tree to tree... In other words, what you have with real cider is not engineered consistency but organic difference that the cider maker uses and embraces.

All that said, you might experiment using less water to dilute the concentrate . That will up the ABV but it will also mean that you are using more fruit per gallon... and less water. Water simply dilutes flavor - and dilution of flavor is (IMO) never a good thing when it comes to wine making.

What disposable kegs are you referring to? And what kind of distribution?

A couple of questions...

How many batches of fermented anything have you made before?

You said at the beginning, "How hard can it be to make a better product" than Stella Cidre. What is it about Stella that is not up to snuff?

Is there a cider that you like and would use as a standard for evaluation?

Carbonation is a tricky thing, so you might want to nail down the still version of this, then carbonate and see how it does carbonated.

if you need more body/mouthfeel. Add a cup of moderately chopped raisins per gallon about 3-4 days after initial fermentation has slowed and/or after racking into secondary (if you rack to secondary). White raisins would work best since it is a lighter colored must to begin with. The raisins will add body, and a lil more sugar for your yeasties to chew on as well.. I've been adding raisins to my wine must for years whenever making wine from fruit juice.

Oh yea, one more thing, I rarely use distilled water since it is stripped of all minerals. Using spring water will make your yeast very happy in the beginning stages as well as enhance the flavoring of what you are fermenting.

Bernardsmith Thank you for that. This batch I have now has 4 cans of AJC per gal w/ IG of ~1.60. Im hoping it will have more aplle flavor and body. The only fruit here in FL thats everywhere is probably Oranges, I wonder how that would taste..

ericbw Theres a local distributer here that will accept my product for distribution if its something they like. Im still far from reaching a sellable product, but I like to plan everything out. Something like KeyKegs, or the sythetic plastic like material w/ a bag inside type of keg. (open to using steel also)

Only done a few batches of anything, but was an avid agriculturalist so I pick it up fast.

Stella is ok, I just want to create something around 8% that is unique and delicious. Differentiated from the competition.

Reds just came out w their 8% apple ale, its pretty solid. Id like to be in that category, but better. Maybe something crazy like a hard berry cider. B****es love berry cider. lol

Takuie I will try the raisins. Heard good things. Will also switch to UV treated spring water jugs for my 1 gal experiments

As an aside, I just bought several concentrates to experiment w/ backsweetening to hopefully find that holy grail everyone will love. Berry blend, passionfruit, grape, fruitpunch, etc.

Leaning towards a still product first, then carbonate from there if needed/desired.

Wine from oranges can be quite fine. It can be very tart so you may need to address that issue. I've made some orange wine with chocolate (cocoa) which turned out fairly good.

But you say that there is a local distributor who is willing to sell your cider? Whoa Nelly! I think both you and that distributor may need to be a little careful. There are quite serious state and federal restrictions that apply to anyone who produces alcohol for sale and that applies to cider - I am not certain but in most states the process can take a considerable amount of time and money to clear all the hurdles - and that is quite separate from the need to satisfy all health regulations involved with anyone involved with food manufacturing. You may want to discuss your plans with a lawyer... and an accountant

Wine from oranges can be quite fine. It can be very tart so you may need to address that issue. I've made some orange wine with chocolate (cocoa) which turned out fairly good.

But you say that there is a local distributor who is willing to sell your cider? Whoa Nelly! I think both you and that distributor may need to be a little careful. There are quite serious state and federal restrictions that apply to anyone who produces alcohol for sale and that applies to cider - I am not certain but in most states the process can take a considerable amount of time and money to clear all the hurdles - and that is quite separate from the need to satisfy all health regulations involved with anyone involved with food manufacturing. You may want to discuss your plans with a lawyer... and an accountant

You are probably right, and maybe I am putting the cart before the horse in even worrying about potential distribution. The distributor requires proper licensing of course.

My focus is to create a delicious, hard (~8-10% alc), differentiated, scaleable cider product.

I'm with Bernard there. If making/selling beer/wine/mead/cider were a simple and money friendly process, we'd all be doing it and flood the market. But there is some serious red tape that needs to be worked through before anything can hit the streets.

I'd recommend the same thing. Have someone look into the legal and financial requirements before going whole hog on distribution.

Until then, it sounds like you have a good starting cider to work with.

Also, I know Strawberries are also an abundant fruit in Florida, depending where you are. Might be an interesting addition.

I make a lot of hard cider, and have learned (more than) a few things along the way. IMO "mineral" water tastes better to me than spring water, so if I am building fermentable cider from water and concentrate, I sometimes use this method. Due to your making cider by the gallon (as I do) buy a few different apples at the store and grate 1/2 of an apple into one batch and a whole apple in another batch. Also try different apples grated into "plain" cider to add mouth feel, tannin, acid, etc. I don't see your mention of aging any of the hard ciders you have made; aging adds a lot to ciders especially the higher ABV styles. I also make mixed fruit ciders when inexpensive or free "gleaned" fruit is available. If you read any of my other posts you will see I make mostly applejack, so my "ciders" are above 18% ABV before they get frozen, and need months of aging to be show/share worthy.

I'm with Bernard there. If making/selling beer/wine/mead/cider were a simple and money friendly process, we'd all be doing it and flood the market. But there is some serious red tape that needs to be worked through before anything can hit the streets.

I'd recommend the same thing. Have someone look into the legal and financial requirements before going whole hog on distribution.

Until then, it sounds like you have a good starting cider to work with.

Also, I know Strawberries are also an abundant fruit in Florida, depending where you are. Might be an interesting addition.

10-4. Ill focus on making a quality cider first.

I make a lot of hard cider, and have learned (more than) a few things along the way. IMO "mineral" water tastes better to me than spring water, so if I am building fermentable cider from water and concentrate, I sometimes use this method. Due to your making cider by the gallon (as I do) buy a few different apples at the store and grate 1/2 of an apple into one batch and a whole apple in another batch. Also try different apples grated into "plain" cider to add mouth feel, tannin, acid, etc. I don't see your mention of aging any of the hard ciders you have made; aging adds a lot to ciders especially the higher ABV styles. I also make mixed fruit ciders when inexpensive or free "gleaned" fruit is available. If you read any of my other posts you will see I make mostly applejack, so my "ciders" are above 18% ABV before they get frozen, and need months of aging to be show/share worthy.

Ok thank you. Maybe ill try some crab apples, or whatever heirloom variety I can get.

Just mixed some berry blend FAJC into my 6.5% bland watery cider. It was delicious, still lacking body and "thickness" but very drinkable.

Ive been getting SG of 1.01 or 1.000 in 7-10days, racking into secondary for another week and then experimenting/drinking. Open to all suggestions.

You are probably right, and maybe I am putting the cart before the horse in even worrying about potential distribution. The distributor requires proper licensing of course.

My focus is to create a delicious, hard (~8-10% alc), differentiated, scaleable cider product. Maybe I am crazy for wanting to expand so fast.

Anyway, found a reliable source of Treetop Apple Juice Concentrate in 5 gal pails and 50 gal drums.

I attached a screenshot of the email, they have a heritage blend thats made for making cider. I am wondering if its worth it to use this Treetop blend over store brand FAJC, or will the difference be negligible..What do you guys think?

You're totally putting the cart before the horse.

First make 1 good batch of cider like you like it. Then you have something to scale.

To try different things, you need to mix up the yeast, sugar, and juice blends a little more.

Agreed. There's a reason people do test batches.

Make some 1 gal variants, try some different yeasts out then see what you like.
Try different amounts of sweetness, and different juices to backsweeten with. I've done apple, apple-cherry, cherry honey, apple raspberry, blueberry pomengranate, and just honey. The blueberry pomengranate was not very good, but the raspberry was, and of course cherry.

I'm partial to cherry and apple cyser, I just mixed up a batch earlier. Took 4 gallons of apple juice and 2 cans of APJC og should be around 1.060-1.065 and I expect the fg to end up around 1.003 in about two weeks. Then I'll backsweeten with some cherry concentrate and honey.

IMHO, yeast selection can (is) every bit as important as the juice/blends you use. I mean that some yeasts leave a higher F.G., some yeasts like the Trappist Ale Yeast develop incredible flavors during fermentation; if you have never tried "Crispin The Saint" hard cider, I believe it is worth buying at least one bottle. Some yeast are Malolactic Acid Fermenting when given time in the bottle, bring about another layer of flavor and mouth feel to your cider. I will admit I wish I knew more about making ciders than I presently do, so I will be in trial-and-error mode for a while to come. If you are not familiar with "Yooper", she has been making ciders and fruit wines for decades, is a solid source of info, and is always willing to help anyone who asks.

10-4. Ill focus on making a quality cider first.

Ok thank you. Maybe ill try some crab apples, or whatever heirloom variety I can get.

Just mixed some berry blend FAJC into my 6.5% bland watery cider. It was delicious, still lacking body and "thickness" but very drinkable.

Ive been getting SG of 1.01 or 1.000 in 7-10days, racking into secondary for another week and then experimenting/drinking. Open to all suggestions.

Sweetness will bring out some of the flavor - just like how mint tea with sugar tastes more minty than without sugar. If it is bland, then acid or tannin (or both) will help to add complexity.

When you ferment it dry, you basically have a really thin and almost flavorless base to build on. But as you add some things to it, the natural flavor comes back out. Sweetening with FAJC means that you're using sugar that tastes like apples (or berries), which is good.

Thanks guys!

Just added a small amount of tannin to a sample glass of fermented 8% martinellis, backsweetened w/ some juicy juice. Pretty good. The tannin definitely adds "grip" or a nice texture if you will. Im getting a sweeter end product with a fuller body, then w acid and tannin and backsweetening I am making some delicious cider.

I want to get the best concentrate source for my cider.

As far as yeasts, the Nottingham smells fruity and almost drinkable at just 7 days.

Any suggestions on optimal yeast/concentrate blends?

Thank you ��

You might also find that aging your cider 6-9 months transforms a good cider into an excellent one and may make a poor cider a better one. There are micro chemical changes that take place over months....

I have tried many different yeasts over the course of the last two-plus years, and I use Red Star Pasteur Red yeast for all my ciders (not the Champagne variety), with the rare exception of a Trappist style clone being the exception. It is not not fussy about temperature, it doesn't created rhino farts, and IMO at the end of fermentation the apple "flavor" hasn't run off to hide until later. As of yet I have had no "off" flavors produced in any batch so I won't fix what isn't broken.

I think ill try the gervins english ale yeast (nottingham clone) which is much cheaper, and the brupaks english ale yeast seems to be a winner.

Im trying to think how to create something different from whats out there on tap currently. Ahh good ol differentiation

Nottingham is my new fav yeast, combined with Old Orchard AJC had a full delicious flavor at just 9 days.

Im also fermenting in my condo which is about 74°F. Hope that doesnt hurt!

Question: I racked to secondary and fermentation halted! FG is 1.006, 1.008, and 1.010 in my 3 gallons on the right.

Ideally, next time I want to get to 1.004 as I think that will be a happy medium between dry and sweet for me, friends, family etc..

Anyway..as far as aging goes...should I bottle 3 gallons and put them in fridge for aging, leave them as is with airlock, or ?

I dont want them to go bad, but dont want to fill my fridge up if not needed. Thank you!

Backsweetened w/ some orange juice into fermented old orchard juice concentrate, and it tasted better than any cider Ive bought. Crazyness.

20150715_121818.jpg

You need to top up or use smaller jugs to limit air in the headspace. I would let it ride a while and check gravity again. 1.010 is a good gravity for a kind of sweet cider.

They won't go bad. Don't refrigerate.

Ok. I just hear stories of cider getting a vinegar taste. Is that just from oxygen, or bacteria also?

I'll top up. I can just leave the airlocks on right?

Also, fermentation has stopped so I guess I can pitch more yeast to restart it.

Cheers!

Ok. I just hear stories of cider getting a vinegar taste. Is that just from oxygen, or bacteria also?

Cheers!

They get vinegar from bacteria; the oxygen makes it taste oxidized. But letting air in can let bacteria in. Use campden tablets to protect against both.

You don't need more yeast, just let it settle.

Cheers!

It takes both bacteria and oxygen to make vinegar. The head space you have there is not good. Those bottles should be full. Use one to top off the others. Use a siphon, don't just pour - else you'll mix in oxygen.

You don't need more yest, just more time.

It takes both bacteria and oxygen to make vinegar. The head space you have there is not good. Those bottles should be full. Use one to top off the others. Use a siphon, don't just pour - else you'll mix in oxygen.

You don't need more yest, just more time.

I just checked gravity and they are all exactly the same as before (4 days ago). Fermentation has stopped, (no movement in airlocks, that I can see), probably when I racked it to secondary. I read Nottingham can do this. So....when you say let it settle, how will the gravity drop?

I will combine the two gallons to minimize the head space.

I am starting another 5-10 gallons this week. I will try to replicate the award winning AppleKush recipe as a good starting point. Any other suggestions? Shooting for award winning quality, with 7-9% alcohol :mug:

I just checked gravity and they are all exactly the same as before (4 days ago). Fermentation has stopped, probably when I racked it to secondary. I read Nottingham does this. So....when you say let it settle, how will the gravity drop?

I will combine the two gallons to minimize the head space.

I am starting another 5-10 gallons this week. I will try to replicate the award winning AppleKush recipe as a good starting point. Any other suggestions? Shooting for award winning quality, with 7-9% alcohol :mug:

Gravity may or may not drop more, but there is a lot of yeast in suspension. Just believe it, it's there. That might be your final gravity.

I would not do 5-10 gallons till you see how this turns out. Maybe a 2-3 gallon batch.

You need to increase the sugar at the start to get your gravity up if you want 7-9%. Use sugar, honey, or apple juice concentrate.

Cider takes time. It takes time. It takes time. And more time. Unless you can filter it to clear quicker.

Get your OG to 1.070. Rack when fermentation stops, adding 1 campden tab per gallon. Top up so there's no headspace. Wait a month and rack again. Wait a month and rack again with campden. When it's pretty clear, you can bottle carb and get dry (!!) sparkling cider.

Gravity may or may not drop more, but there is a lot of yeast in suspension. Just believe it, it's there. That might be your final gravity.

I would not do 5-10 gallons till you see how this turns out. Maybe a 2-3 gallon batch.

You need to increase the sugar at the start to get your gravity up if you want 7-9%. Use sugar, honey, or apple juice concentrate.

Cider takes time. It takes time. It takes time. And more time. Unless you can filter it to clear quicker.

Get your OG to 1.070. Rack when fermentation stops, adding 1 campden tab per gallon. Top up so there's no headspace. Wait a month and rack again. Wait a month and rack again with campden. When it's pretty clear, you can bottle carb and get dry (!!) sparkling cider.

Copy that. Thank you.

The 5 gallons will be all different (1 gal jugs), I like to run many experiments at once. The controls are: Store Bought Spring water, Nottingham, AJC. Variables are everything else...sugars, SG, etc.. Then I experiment heavily with backsweetening. Allows me to have more variations, learn more, with less risk :ban: Right?

I am super impatient, how can I make the cider as fast as possible? (without seriously detracting from taste, or quality)

Maybe yeast nutrient, using a 1 micron filter when racking to secondary? The gal that I took airlock off and agitated reached lower gravity faster. Yeast need oxygen and nutrients to ferment correct? Call me crazy, but I want to crank out excellent cider as fast as possible. Maybe age for 1 week, 2 weeks max.

Cloudy cider is OK with me, as long as it doesn't affect taste. Considering filtration for sure.

Cider will be better if you let it sit for sure, back sweetening helps with the aging time. Even then it'll still be better, and will "need" less back sweetening if you let it sit then back sweeten. I usually just drink it around 2-3 weeks of fermenting, 2 days cold crash, 1 day gelatin. I use pectic enzyme and lots of nutrients, ferment hot with saison yeast and it finishes clear in that time.

Copy that. Thank you.

I am super impatient, how can I make the cider as fast as possible? (without seriously detracting from taste, or quality)

Maybe yeast nutrient, using a 1 micron filter when racking to secondary? The gal that I took airlock off and agitated reached lower gravity faster. Yeast need oxygen and nutrients to ferment correct? Call me crazy, but I want to crank out excellent cider as fast as possible. Maybe age for 1 week, 2 weeks max.

Cloudy cider is OK with me, as long as it doesn't affect taste. Considering filtration for sure.

My advice for best quality in shortest time:

Use yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme in every batch, per instructions on the packages. Add them up front when you pitch the yeast. You'll get strong fermentation in 12 hrs. You can agitate (shake) during the first 2 days if you like.

Nottingham typically will take 1.050 juice to 1.000 in 2 weeks at 70°F. Rack to secondary when it gets below 1.010 (I shoot for 1.008). Another 2 weeks and you'll have clear cider as good as cider gets without aging. For short term secondaries I have left the kind of head space that you have with no ill effects. Just be sure you sanitize everything thoroughly.

Doing small batches 1 gal at a time will yield 8-9 12 oz bottles per gallon. If you combine your 5 gallons into 4 when racking to secondary, you can top them up properly. That will allow you to bottle the first gallon when it's ready, and the others can sit without worry of oxidation.

Temperature matters - Nottingham likes 68°. Higher temps ferment faster, but the cider will taste weak. Alcohol level affects taste too. If you're not wanting to age the cider for months I highly recommend not increasing OG above 1.050.

Using pectic enzyme in primary will give you clear cider by he time secondary is done. No filtering is necessary. The minimum time here is 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 1 week to carbonate after bottling. Quality cider in short time is an oxymoron.

Appreciate that.

Its summer here and condo temps hover around 74-76*F. I wonder if it would make a big difference to be around 68-70*. Is the flavor stronger and cleaner at lower temps or something? I know you said the cider will be weak, please elaborate.

I was thinking to put a mesh micron aquarium fiter http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-ProFlex-Micron-Filter-2-Pack/dp/B0036S2WVS over siphon after a few days in secondary (or...gasp....right out of primary) and basically have a drinkable (mostly clear) high alcohol cider in ~2 weeks.

So...10-15 days in primary, 0-2 days in secondary, back-sweeten to taste, bottle/keg still. Ill try it on my latest run seen below vvv

I am running a frankenstein experiement today:

SG 1.070 - Pasteur Champagne yeast, no starter.
-1 gal
juicy juice blend
1 can apple ras conc.
1/2 can apple berry blend conc.
~30 organic raisins

Shook vigorously to aerate. Then poured some in a cup, added yeast and raisins, swirled cup, pitched into 1 gal.

I want to see what I can get away with here. If most of the flavor can come from backsweetening, I wonder the point of using a $5 pack of notty and waiting 2+ weeks in primary, vs a $1 pack of red star champagne, and bottoming out in 7-10 days.

Seems most commercial cider makers use champagne yeast, acid, and AJC.

Basically, this will be the low cost, no fuss, high alcohol % cider :tank:

20150719_135254.jpg

20150719_140954.jpg

20150719_140950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fermenting fast at warm temps with champagne yeast will strip out most of the apple flavor and aroma. What you get is a bland, tasteless cider that barely even smells like apples. Sweetening with AJC is one way to get some flavor back. Increasing alcohol level only makes it worse. The alcohol masks what little flavor is left, and gives the cider a "bite" that takes months to mellow out. Taste of course is subjective, and you may decide that your cider is the best ever. I hope that's true.

My best cider to date was a winter cider made from late season apples (low in nutrients), fermented at 65°F with S-04 ale yeast. It took a full 6 weeks to ferment even with added nutrients. The result had incredible flavor and my friends are still talking about it. I don't make summer ciders any more, unless I'm willing to age them for 4 months.

BTW a packet of Nottingham is good for 5 gallons. That breaks down to about 3/4 TSP per gallon.

Good luck with your experiments.

Appreciate that.

Its summer here and condo temps hover around 74-76*F. I wonder if it would make a big difference to be around 68-70*. Is the flavor stronger and cleaner at lower temps or something? I know you said the cider will be weak, please elaborate.

I was thinking to put a mesh micron aquarium fiter http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-ProFlex-Micron-Filter-2-Pack/dp/B0036S2WVS over siphon after a few days in secondary (or...gasp....right out of primary) and basically have a drinkable (mostly clear) high alcohol cider in ~2 weeks.

So...10-15 days in primary, 0-2 days in secondary, back-sweeten to taste, bottle/keg still. Ill try it on my latest run seen below vvv

I am running a frankenstein experiement today:

SG 1.070 - Pasteur Champagne yeast, no starter.
-1 gal
juicy juice blend
1 can apple ras conc.
1/2 can apple berry blend conc.
~30 organic raisins

Shook vigorously to aerate. Then poured some in a cup, added yeast and raisins, swirled cup, pitched into 1 gal.

I want to see what I can get away with here. If most of the flavor can come from backsweetening, I wonder the point of using a $5 pack of notty and waiting 2+ weeks in primary, vs a $1 pack of red star champagne, and bottoming out in 7-10 days.

Seems most commercial cider makers use champagne yeast, acid, and AJC.

Basically, this will be the low cost, no fuss, high alcohol % cider :tank:

You started off with "guide me," but now you're seeing what you can get away with."

You have a number of factors - time, yeast, temperature, gravity, kind of juice, cost, etc. You want short time, uncontrolled temp, and low cost. You can do that, but you can't have good cider that way. The only factors you seem willing to work on are the yeast and the cost.

Fermenting hot will almost always give you undesirable flavors. Many of those flavors can age out, but not all. I think it you could go to 74-75 for the actual cider temp, but if that's room temp, the cider could be in the 80s.

A 200 micron filter is like straining out the big chunks. Filters for beer/cider/wine are usually 5, 1, or even .5 microns.

When it comes to cost, if you use Nottingham (I wouldn't because I didn't like the results), you can save the yeast. So $5 for the first round is $0 for the next round. You can easily go 3-4 batches with reused yeast, and 6-7 if you're really clean and careful. You can do that with any yeast, but if you pick the best one, you will get the results you want.

Most commercial ciders are probably filtered if they are going for speed. Not with a 200 micron filter.

And most people will say that if you have a pipeline, then you don't need to worry about speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You started off with "guide me," but now you're seeing what you can get away with."

You have a number of factors - time, yeast, temperature, gravity, kind of juice, cost, etc. You want short time, uncontrolled temp, and low cost. You can do that, but you can't have good cider that way. The only factors you seem willing to work on are the yeast and the cost. I'm willing to work on all factors.

Fermenting hot will almost always give you undesirable flavors. Many of those flavors can age out, but not all. I think it you could go to 74-75 for the actual cider temp, but if that's room temp, the cider could be in the 80s.I agree, I was thinking about a DIY swamp cooler for now, or investing in some type of fridge. I want to make the best cider I can. I just dont want to wait for months.

A 200 micron filter is like straining out the big chunks. Filters for beer/cider/wine are usually 5, 1, or even .5 microns. I later read under 10 microns will filter out 99% of yeast. Looking into the right filter to put over racking cane, filter right out of primary and go directly to keg then force carb. Save a few weeks right there, as secondary is really just a clearing vessel, correct?

When it comes to cost, if you use Nottingham (I wouldn't because I didn't like the results), you can save the yeast. So $5 for the first round is $0 for the next round. You can easily go 3-4 batches with reused yeast, and 6-7 if you're really clean and careful. You can do that with any yeast, but if you pick the best one, you will get the results you want. True. Im going to order gervins ale yeast in bulk ~$2 a pack

Most commercial ciders are probably filtered if they are going for speed. Not with a 200 micron filter.

And most people will say that if you have a pipeline, then you don't need to worry about speed.

Yeah. I like to do things as fast as I can while maintaining quality. If I can filter when I rack directly from primary to keg, then I can backsweeten and have a possibly delicious very drinkable cider in 2-3 weeks. Thats all im saying. Maybe not the best way to go, but im not aging for months. To each their own :)

Edit: I bought a probe thermometer. Ferm temps were 73°F interior temps are 75°F. Maybe I can point a fan at them and keep them wet on outside (wet tshirt or rag). Is it possible this will drop me to 68ish? Thanks.

Yeah. I like to do things as fast as I can while maintaining quality. If I can filter when I rack directly from primary to keg, then I can backsweeten and have a possibly delicious very drinkable cider in 2-3 weeks. Thats all im saying. Maybe not the best way to go, but im not aging for months. To each their own :)

Edit: I bought a probe thermometer. Ferm temps were 73°F interior temps are 75°F. Maybe I can point a fan at them and keep them wet on outside (wet tshirt or rag). Is it possible this will drop me to 68ish? Thanks.

Yes, the swamp cooler should lower your temps pretty well, esp if you add ice packs to the water and use a fan.

Look up filter set ups that use a water filter housing. That's what I just set up, and it cost less than $50. You have to jump between kegs. That will cut down your time. I fermented 4 weeks, filtered and backsweetened, and it's carbing now. Prob 6 weeks total and I'm not expecting anything great.

Thanks. Eric.

You know, im hitting 1.010 in a week or so w/ nottingham @ 72°F, so Im wondering how y'all ferment in primary for much longer than that without bottoming out and stripping most apple flavor. Im pretty new at this though.

Id like to go from pitch to glass in optimally 3 weeks, 4 max. Will I be sacrificing that much quality in doing so?

I backsweetened 7 day old notty and it was delicious and very drinkable @ ~5.5%. I guess im just trying to find a happy medium between speed and quality.

Inline filter sounds good, im thinking for me right now, of just putting a 1 micron filter sock on my racking cane when transferring to secondary and or tertiary vessel.

Thanks. Eric.

You know, im hitting 1.010 in a week or so w/ nottingham @ 72°F, so Im wondering how y'all ferment in primary for much longer than that without bottoming out and stripping most apple flavor. Im pretty new at this though.

Id like to go from pitch to glass in optimally 3 weeks, 4 max. Will I be sacrificing that much quality in doing so?

I backsweetened 7 day old notty and it was delicious and very drinkable @ ~5.5%. I guess im just trying to find a happy medium between speed and quality.

Inline filter sounds good, im thinking for me right now, of just putting a 1 micron filter sock on my racking cane when transferring to secondary and or tertiary vessel.

Once it "bottoms out," it's done. You can leave it for a year, and it won't strip the apple flavor more than if you left it a month. (Note: not advisable. Most people would rack every 1-2 months with sulfate during that time.)

If you want to stop the fermentation at 1.010 by racking and chilling, that will leave you with some sweetness. But it's tricky to catch it at the right moment, I guess. I would bet that the yeast is not done, and will continue to slowly eat the sugar until it gets to 1.000 or lower. If it does that in the bottle, it will explode, sending shards of glass flying in your face (exaggerated worst case scenario). It will never be shelf stable, and even refrigerated, the yeast sometimes continues to to work.

I can't remember this whole thread. Do you keg or bottle? I don't know if you'll get enough suction to effectively filter through a 1 micron sock.

The happy medium between speed and quality is cost. You can filter enough to reduce the time it takes to end up with a quality result. Good, fast, cheap - pick two.

As for stripping the apple flavor, I would reserve judgement. Adding sugar will bring out some apple flavor (especially using AJ concentrate for the sugar). Carbonation also adds a different flavor and texture. So the fermented juice is really just a base that you build on.

Someone mentioned saison yeast. If you like saison, you can ramp it up to 80 degrees and the yeast will cover other off flavors.

Back