Growler, what's the point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance of getting some hbt hats? I'd love a ball cap with the logo. I could wear it to beer festivals. I'd pay $20 for a hat.

Sure! Once I sell out of hats and growlers I will order those.

HBT Hats: Summer of 2055

Good idea.

"Austin Orders a Production Run of 10 HBT Hats 2015: Nobody Buys One"

Corrected.

Not true. He'd only have 1999 left over.

I was told the same thing about growlers...

Down the street and around the corner is Portland Brewing/MacTarnahan's. They fill growlers like any other brew place. On "Fill'r up Friday's" it's buy one fill, get a fill free. That's $11 for a gallon (~10 beers). No too shabby.

Maybe check the interwebs for any local deals.

OK - I just bought a growler. I get first dibs on the hats. :D

And now I know the secret to success is self deprecation and shaming people into buying things....

I'm headed home right now to teach this to my children.

You just made my day in all seriousness. No more "Austin you worthless sack of crap. Sell some Growlers.".

And now I know the secret to success is self deprecation and shaming people into buying things....

I'm headed home right now to teach this to my children.

You just made my day in all seriousness. No more "Austin you worthless sack of crap. Sell some Growlers.".

Man, your kids sound like real ball busters.

Which is why I do not understand the various CO2 "Tap Cap" schemes for growlers, the one I pictured above has an optional cap to charge with CO2 and a picnic type tap. Four pints, the growler is gone, not a chance to oxidize or go flat, at least for me and those around me that share...

The one I linked to above is available in 128 oz (1 gallon) size. That's actually the size I ordered.

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever bought a growler of beer that was also available in bottles or cans. The only growlers I buy/refill are from local breweries that are too small to justify a bottling/canning line. Their beers are only available on tap in local restaurants (I don't think there's really such thing as "tasting rooms" in Ontario - you can have small samples for free, but you can't buy a pint at the brewery AFAIK), or in growlers.

Plus, it's the ultimate hipster move to show up at a party with two growlers of your homebrew, in a custom-made growler carrier made from empty sacks of malt. It gets people talking to you, for better or for worse. :)

I like some of the growlers. Outside of using them to carry homebrew they are useless to me. Nobody here fills growlers that I have heard of. I always used a 1 gallon fermenter as a growler.

guy walks up to the bar and says "growler"

bartender says "sure it's back and to the left, can ya take this brown 1/2 gallon glass jug and fill it while you're in there"?

Last edited:
Back