Growing Old Sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Massive Wall of Bummer to Follow...Pass On By

Getting old sucks...people around you start to die. I stopped by to see Todd a couple of weekends ago...a dear friend that I've known for 40 yrs this Sept, since our freshman yr in college. Todd's fallen on some tough times lately, he has debilitating arthritis and degenerative disk disease and is in enough pain I guess that his docs have given him enough pain meds to kill himself. And he's pretty much doing it, a little at a time...he 58 and could pass for 78, and he's so fvcked up from the meds and the arthritis that he can't even hold a cig. After visiting for awhile I said to another friend of ours, "You know you're gonna come over here and find him dead some day soon". So of course he calls this morning and says, "you were right", he'd gone over last night to find Todd 2 or 3 days dead. You know, I've lost both parents, and lost a sister after that, but for some reason, losing this friend has me crying like a baby all day...we were 19 one day, getting in trouble together, getting out of trouble together, and a couple of days later we're 59...or not. Anyway, like I say, a wall of bummer...should have passed on by, but thanks for listening if you didn't.

Here a torpedo and shot a shot to you Todd...you fvckhead. :mug:

Rest assure that you're friend is in a much better place and no longer is suffering. Remember all the good times you shared, and find joy that one day you will see him again.

I pray that God is with you to comfort you in your time of grief.

Growing old sucks because our shoulders hurt, our hips hurt, our elbows hurt, our knees hurt. As far as death I had a harder time understanding it when I was young. I still remember all the death when I was 18-20. We are at the age now when it is going to happen. Glad you had a chance to see Todd before the end but you knew it was going to happen. When we were young and strong it wasn't supposed to happen.

Growing old does suck sometimes. I'm always surprised at how many of my classmates are no longer with us.

But growing old is great sometimes, too. Seeing your grandchildren, retiring(!), being mature enough to accept some hard truths, etc, are all great too.

I'm really sorry about your friend.

Sorry about your friend man :( My best friend has a major addiction problem and I expect this all the time, even at 32. We used to live together and I wondered every day if he was gonna be dead when I woke up in the morning. It sucks.

I look at growing old as a prize now, seeing so many people die at work. It sucks to see your years behind you, but it sucks worse not to make it there at all.

I feel ya,man. My dad & I were favs to his mother,who died from a broken hip when I was a junior in the highschoolzoic era. Both my parents are dead,as are my wife's. That's when you know you're really alone. Some of my friends/classmates were killed when I was a teen to my20's or so. My friends at work started dying when I was 42-45. I'm now 55,the time where life starts taking things away instead of giving. These have been some hard pills to swallow. Especially pop,for me. He wasn't just my father,he was my co-worker,my hunting/fishing buddy,my bar room buddy. We worked on cars together,built additions on the house with my uncle.
Like the boyz to men song,it's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday...
Good night,sweet prince...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for everyone that has replied here...talking really helps, and I know that time will dull the pain. Drinking normally helps too, but for some reason not so much with this type of pain. :(

I'm always surprised at how many of my classmates are no longer with us.
Just got the 'didn't make it' list for my 40th hs reunion. Seems as tho going out with me in hs wasn't good for a girls chances for long term survival. Sorry ladies, if I'd of known I could of spared you the pain. (There's some sick gallows humor for you...apologies :eek: )

But growing old is great sometimes, too. Seeing your grandchildren, retiring(!), being mature enough to accept some hard truths, etc, are all great too.
Being retired has been fun, and grandkids will be nice someday, but hopefully not too soon...my daughters are just 10 & 13. My son could contribute any time I guess (he's 22), but he doesn't seem in any big hurry. As to me being mature enough...ha...little chance of that happening. ;)

Back