Memorial Day: The Fallen / Lest We Forget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeSection

Reaction score
Per History.com, Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day and began to honor those who were lost while fighting in the Civil War. With World War I, the holiday evolved to commemorate all American military personnel who have been lost in all wars. (By the way, my grandfather who raised me, served in France in World War I and occasionally he would tell me stories of his service. I have passed those stories on to my children.) Historically, Memorial Day was observed on May 30, but in 1968 with the passage of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, Memorial Day was established as the last Monday in May with this change taking effect in 1971.

One movie and set of scenes about World War II that I always seem to remember is Saving Private Ryan and the Omaha Beach Scene. For those who have seen this scene, you know how impactful it was. I also vividly remember seeing in black and white film of the actual Normandy invasion film. Those poor young souls....

Today, I came across something which impacted me in a similar way. When people hear various numbers today on various events, it is very hard to visualize those numbers. Please see the link below to a short video of a short-lived art installation film completed back in September 2013 called The Fallen 9000 which makes the number of people lost at Normandy a little easier to understand.

The Fallen 9000

If you have any family or friends who died in any wars, please accept my gratitude for their sacrifice. My hope is that we never forget their enormous ultimate sacrifice they gave us and our future generations.

Thank you for thinking about all the veterans who have served and passed to preserve our freedom. It is very sad right now that we are unable to honor those who have lost their lives to keep our great nation from falling to Those who sacrificed so much I am in awe. We must honor the Fallen as best we can This weekend. Please remember to hang your flag for all the fallen

In Flanders Fields

BY JOHN MCCRAE

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

american-flag_full_width.jpg

My youngest son and I are watching (I'm re-watching) Band of Brothers series. Saved the final episode for tonight. Poignant, the interviews with actual 101st Airborne soldiers at the beginning of each episode. Man, the sacrifices our young and bold have made.

I don't know how many times my son and I have seen it through now. HBO has the documentary which I think is what they used to draw from for those scenes. Neither one of us can hear the start of each episode's music and interviews without tearing up. Every time I watch Maj. Winters tell us: "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, 'No, but I served in a company of heroes..." - God. There can be no words.

My brother had the good fortune to meet Bill Guarnere, through his son, at one of the many reunions. Can't recall the details, but some story of a pair of shoes, and Bill saying, "now what the hell am I going to do with these?" with a wry smile. Sounds right.

One of the warmest things I think I recall hearing is how the vets welcomed Cpt. Sobel's son into their embrace, comforting him, telling him they wouldn't be what they were without Cpt. Sobels. As I understand it, Wild Bill invited the captain every year, and paid his 101st dues up.

With the passing of these heroes every year, I feel like a piece of us leaves with them. I bow in honor and gratitude to each one of them, and every fallen vet since.

d-day-300x200.jpg

I don't know how many times my son and I have seen it through now. HBO has the documentary which I think is what they used to draw from for those scenes. Neither one of us can hear the start of each episode's music and interviews without tearing up. Every time I watch Maj. Winters tell us: "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, 'No, but I served in a company of heroes..." - God. There can be no words.

My brother had the good fortune to meet Bill Guarnere, through his son, at one of the many reunions. Can't recall the details, but some story of a pair of shoes, and Bill saying, "now what the hell am I going to do with these?" with a wry smile. Sounds right.

One of the warmest things I think I recall hearing is how the vets welcomed Cpt. Sobel's son into their embrace, comforting him, telling him they wouldn't be what they were without Cpt. Sobels. As I understand it, Wild Bill invited the captain every year, and paid his 101st dues up.

With the passing of these heroes every year, I feel like a piece of us leaves with them. I bow in honor and gratitude to each one of them, and every fallen vet since.

View attachment 682136

The entire mini- series was fantastic. I have it, along with Stephen Ambrose's other great collaboration with Tom Hanks (Saving Private Ryan), on video and in print. One was fictional, the other historical, but both captured the essence of that Greatest Generation.

It's sad to see so few of them left today, and even sadder when they pass. We've lost two of them in my Church family since the lock down began. One had been a Marine in the Pacific Campaign and saw much action in WWII. He never mentioned it much until after my wife had received a Fulbright grant to study one summer in Japan. I had always meant to take him to the WWII Veteran's Memorial in D.C., but by the the time I had the opportunity he was too frail.

Remember them and all who served, and continue to serve, on this very special occasion.

Ted

The entire mini- series was fantastic. I have it, along with Stephen Ambrose's other great collaboration with Tom Hanks (Saving Private Ryan), on video and in print. One was fictional, the other historical, but both captured the essence of that Greatest Generation.

It's sad to see so few of them left today, and even sadder when they pass. We've lost two of them in my Church family since the lock down began. One had been a Marine in the Pacific Campaign and saw much action in WWII. He never mentioned it much until after my wife had received a Fulbright grant to study one summer in Japan. I had always meant to take him to the WWII Veteran's Memorial in D.C., but by the the time I had the opportunity he was too frail.

Remember them and all who served, and continue to serve, on this very special occasion.

Ted

Amen Ted. I also have Saving Private Ryan, and a number of Mr. Ambrose's books, as I really like his writing. I go back to them from time to time as a small way to keep them in my thoughts.

Amen Ted. I also have Saving Private Ryan, and a number of Mr. Ambrose's books, as I really like his writing. I go back to them from time to time as a small way to keep them in my thoughts.

I'm a big fan of Ambrose as well. Excellent books on D-Day, Lewis & Clark ("Undaunred Courage") and the Transcontinental Railroad ("Nothing Like It in the World"). Loved the way he wrote. Sorry the way his career suffered at the end from accusations of plagiarism.

Brooo Brother

If you guys have not read Wildred Owen, WWI British officer and poet who died before most of his poems were published, I recommend him. A sort of feverish output over the course of a year, died in combat, November, 1918 - 2 months after completing the last of his poems, and 2 weeks before the declaration of armistice. His mom was notified on Armistice Day.

They are dark, and melancholy, but they convey with artistry what it was to combat in the nasty war of trenches and gas. Two of his most well-known are "Anthem for Doomed Youth" and "Dulce et Decorum Est."

I had the honor of portraying this rich young soul, as an actor.

Well, i'd have to honor my serogate father...mine died when i was 12, but i found an old WW2 vet that was into C64s....hung around all the other vets, i was young and thought it was so cool, that they we're about as old as me when new stuff was involved...obviously they survived though....

My dad served two tours in Vietnam and a total of 25 years in the US Army. Yes, I am a military brat, and I wear that badge proudly. Not because it is given as an entitlement, but because he sacrificed everything to give me that honor. My dad is gone now, but his sacrifice is never taken for granted or forgotten about. For those that serve and have served, thank you. Those two words can never be enough, but man, are they so well deserved!!!!

A buddy at work has a part time job in a funeral home, here's a story he told me on memorial day:
One evening a few years back there's a viewing, it was very lightly attended and an older guy maybe about 90 comes in by himself, slowly walking with a cane. On the way out he notices my buddy watching over the proceedings and he asks: "Hey were you in the Military?
(yes USMC) the old guy continues, " I've a story for you, me and the that fella you've got laid out over there were at D-day together, and when we got off the landing craft, I bet him I'd live longer than him. So I guess I won." He went on to say that they both expected to get killed any moment on that beach.
So when you see an old guy taking a long time at the checkout line or the gas pump, have a little patience and show some respect, you never know what he's been through.

Back