Growing Hops in South Louisiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an123

Reaction score
I have been thinking about growing my own hops. Has anyone had any luck growing them down here? Or can someone point me in the right direction of which would grow better.

I'm about to do the same. Also live in S. Louisiana. I hear cascade and centennial grow decently here. Those are the 2 i want to try.

Livonia (New Roads, Northwest of Baton Rouge)

I ordered mine today. I'll try and post the progress here. I've tried to keep a garden for a few years but my thumb has yet to turn green. I'm better with grease and fire...

2 each, no particular reason:
Goldings
Nugget
Brewer's Gold
Fuggle
Magnum
Chinook

Somehow I forgot the Cascade.

That's not too far from where I'm at I have about an hour and a half ride to get to Baton Rouge. Keep me posted on how it's going with that. I will try as well.

I live in North Florida, did Centennial and Cascade for the first time last year. I feel like they did pretty well. just water often, and in the early morning hours before the sun hits it hard. I would suggest a slow drip irrigation under a mulch bed. Good luck!

Livonia (New Roads, Northwest of Baton Rouge)

I ordered mine today. I'll try and post the progress here. I've tried to keep a garden for a few years but my thumb has yet to turn green. I'm better with grease and fire...

I'm actually from Livonia. I live in Baton Rouge now, but my parents still live there.

I'm actually from Livonia. I live in Baton Rouge now, but my parents still live there.

That's funny... I was born and raised in Baton Rouge and as soon as I could afford it migrated out of the city. Where in Livonia? We're in the Frisco Ridge subdivision.

I got my plants in the mail yesterday from Great Lakes Hops. I added some potting soil to the bags with a little water as per their instructions (seed starting mix was all I had on hand but I doubt that will matter). I'd like to plant this weekend but the ground is too wet to till... when do the rest of you plan on planting your plants?

I've successfully grown centennial in East Feliciana Parish the last three years. My cascades are still alive after two years but have never produced. Every other type I've tried including nugget, Golding, fuggle, and few others have died during hear of summer.

Some friends in BR have successfully grown chinook and cascade for the last few years. Plant facing east with some sort of protection from sun in late afternoon and water the shut out of them first year. Last year I filled 5 gallon bucket with 3 centennial plants 2nd yr

I'm also considering growing hops, in New Orleans. Trying to decide between containers or putting them in the ground for the first year. Our backyard gets a good amount of shade from our oak tree in spots, but also a decent amount of afternoon sun, particularly in the summer (house faces east). Trying to decide between Cascade, Centennial, and/or Chinook. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

I'd plant all three. That way you have a variety in your own yard. Down in Houma I have all three and they are all doing very well. I have mine planted up high though and let them grow down a trellis made of string. Worked pretty good.

Thanks! Just ordered Cascade and Centennial, so as to not get in over my head. I'd also like to see the trellis. I'm thinking about a large bucket/pot and adjustable twine trellis.

How far apart do you plant your rhizomes? I bought two of each and was thinking of putting two of the same varietal together, but not sure if the roots will be too much for the large bin.

I live in Bossier, so not all that different from your climate down there.

I have 2 plants, a Cascade and a Willamette. Both grow and produce just fine, but the Cascade definitely outperforms the Willamette every year. Might just be that the Cascade is a better plant, or could be that the climate is better for it. The Cascade is an absolute monster and always produces more hops than I know what to do with. I have to cut it back every year to keep it from taking over the entire garden area.

So, Cascade is a good bet for growing in Louisiana.

Back