Growing hops from seed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crosses for 2019!

I share the work I'm doing with my hop varieties, this is a plant from the same group of seeds, was planted on March 4, 2019, is not yet 4 months old from seed and already begins to bloom.

it is our own varieties growing in tropical climate, with extremely hot temperatures, for more than a month reaching 40 ° C with peaks of 43 ° at a latitude of 21 ° north, at 5 meters above sea level. Yucatán, México.

At this moment it reaches a height of about 4 meters and its growth is very vigorous.

Attachments

• IMG_20190524_101700.jpg
    IMG_20190524_101700.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20190524_101619.jpg
    IMG_20190524_101619.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
[ATTACH = full] 628282 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 628287 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 628292 [/ ATTACH]
Neomexicanus
se battre pour la survie
"se battre pour la survie"

[ATTACH = full] 628282 [/ ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1t7RETKA.jpeg
    1t7RETKA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • fHh6nqWQ.jpeg
    fHh6nqWQ.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • qRYz8o3w.jpeg
    qRYz8o3w.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
sorry yanick74, but with the Google translation, I did not understand what you meant
"désolé yanick74, mais avec la traduction Google, je n'ai pas compris ce que vous vouliez dire"

sorry yanick74, but with the Google translation, I did not understand what you meant
"désolé yanick74, mais avec la traduction Google, je n'ai pas compris ce que vous vouliez dire"
sorry I got lost, where did I write it? so that you answer your question

"They are like a genetic short circuit! its stems are smooth without crochet hooks. they do not work for production"

;)

"They are like a genetic short circuit! its stems are smooth without crochet hooks. they do not work for production"

;)

c'est une mauvaise génétique, quand ils développent une caractéristique est que leurs tiges sont lisses ils ne sont pas rugueux.
ils ne produisent rien d'intéressant.

it is bad genetics, when they grow a characteristic is that their stems are smooth they are not rough.
they do not produce anything interesting.

for you should not reproduce them? they can still be used for brewing if the perfume is good?
"pour vous il ne faut pas les reproduire ? ils peuvent quand même servir pour le brassage si le parfum est bon ?"

for you should not reproduce them? they can still be used for brewing if the perfume is good?
"pour vous il ne faut pas les reproduire ? ils peuvent quand même servir pour le brassage si le parfum est bon ?"

I leave several until adults and my conclusion: they must go to the compost, nothing good

its stems are smooth without crochet hooks. they do not work for production.

Are you saying the smoothness makes them unsuitable for production, or flavours from genes linked to dwarfing?

The gene for high selinene production is tightly linked to the dwarfing gene found in First Gold etc, but that linkage was broken in Boadicea.

Are you saying the smoothness makes them unsuitable for production, or flavours from genes linked to dwarfing?

The gene for high selinene production is tightly linked to the dwarfing gene found in First Gold etc, but that linkage was broken in Boadicea.

I mean that this type of mutations like those in the photo are very common in neomexicanus hybrids, and they are totally useless, one characteristic is that their stems are totally smooth

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_135708.jpg
    IMG_20190527_135708.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20190527_135719.jpg
    IMG_20190527_135719.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
they are totally useless

useless for reproduction? but perhaps it is a recessive gene that will disappear on the offspring? in the meantime, maybe the perfume will be interesting and serve me for my amateur brewing.
"inutiles pour la reproduction ? mais c'est peut-être un gène récessif qui disparaîtra sur la descendance ? en attendant, peut-être que le parfum sera intéressant et me servira pour mon brassage amateur"

useless for reproduction? but perhaps it is a recessive gene that will disappear on the offspring? in the meantime, maybe the perfume will be interesting and serve me for my amateur brewing.
"inutiles pour la reproduction ? mais c'est peut-être un gène récessif qui disparaîtra sur la descendance ? en attendant, peut-être que le parfum sera intéressant et me servira pour mon brassage amateur"

good point!

I would imagine the smooth stems would be a problem due to them not being able to “grip” lines to climb like the rough hairs let them do

At the beginning of growth it can be a handicap. but in the middle of the season, the vine becomes thick enough to enclose the rope and not fall.
"en début de croissance ça peut être un handicap. mais au milieu de la saison, la liane devient suffisamment épaisse pour enserrer la corde et ne pas tomber."

Everything's a trade-off, though I'm not sure which is optimal. Trichomes serve to hook and climb, but also as a defense mechanism. But lots of them can draw a lot of energy the plant could put elsewhere. A smooth bine could also be more practical for harvest and manutention.

I tend to favor dense trichomes, but I really can't say if that's best or not.

Back