Growing hops from seed

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bierhaus15

Reaction score
Anyone have experience harvesting hop pollen and if it is possible to store it long term?

My male plant is completely covered with flowers, although none of my female plants have burrs yet. Don't want to miss the window for cross pollination.

B-Hoppy

Reaction score
Just cut the sidearms off, bag them for transport and dump the contents out on a big sheet of freezer paper or something like that. You can gently continue tapping them until you don't see any more pollen shedding and roll the paper into a funnel then collect the pollen in some sort of container with the lid loosely on in the fridge. You can keep the sidearms in the fridge also but keep them very loosely covered to allow any moisture to escape and not accumulate. Every day, take them out and try to collect any new pollen that may have become exposed as the flowers open up.

Apimyces

Hop breeder
Reaction score
Going well. The 8 contenders from the original crosses are now mature and producing a ton of cones. All taste good, but some of the flavors are really unique. Brewing IPAs about every other weekend to compare and contrast.

View attachment 678803

We are also working with 9 new crosses (out of 500 seedlings) - with heavy neo genes. Though, none of them have been tested for alpha/beta.

Now, we just need to think about where to go next with this project...
Well, the next step would probably be multi-site trials and distribution. ;)

Sierra brew club

Reaction score
Well after 3 months in the bottom of my out door Refrigerator I put these trays out to catch some spring sun!
And after a nice Spring shower look what is starting to emerge!!
First year seedlings coming up fingers crossed there are some winners some where in here.
Praying for both good male and female stock!

Attachments

Last edited:

mashpaddled

Reaction score
Anyone have experience harvesting hop pollen and if it is possible to store it long term?

My male plant is completely covered with flowers, although none of my female plants have burrs yet. Don't want to miss the window for cross pollination.
Obviously an old post but curious if anybody has an answer to this. I know pollen can be stored generally from plants but I'm not sure what the long term viability of pollen might be and under what conditions. Surely we have some advanced gardeners with better ideas.

Apimyces

Hop breeder
Reaction score
Obviously an old post but curious if anybody has an answer to this. I know pollen can be stored generally from plants but I'm not sure what the long term viability of pollen might be and under what conditions. Surely we have some advanced gardeners with better ideas.
From memory it loses about 50% viability after a year in the freezer, assuming dried and frozen correctly. There's a paper somewhere that talks about this.

I have harvested pollen last year, but I have not attempted to use it yet. Did not keep plants growing enough indoors this winter to end up with burrs.

Apimyces

Hop breeder
Reaction score
Near perfect conservation can also be done with liquid nitrogen, but that's a bit out of reach for the average layman. 50% over a year in a common freezer is plenty good enough for dealing with flowering asynchrony.