Group grain buy Pittsburgh / Western PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested in getting in on the next one too, if anyone can lead me in the direction of a reasonably priced mill

Standard Barley Crusher is about $125 or so Monster Mill w/hopper is about $160, Crankandstein can be had for a little less, all excellent mills. (I have the MM2, know someone who has the BC, and did research in the C&S)

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

I would be in for the group buy. I just moved to Uniontown. If there are any local brewers near me you should send me a pm.

So, is there anyone willing/able to organize another group grain buy in SW PA/Eastern Ohio again? It seems like we have a decent amount of interest, but my preference is to wait on Sleepy Steven and Bugman, since they did a really phenomonal job last time.

my preference is to wait on Sleepy Steven and Bugman

I've seen a couple of references regarding the return of these two. Where did they go?

I'm guessing the entire process was a gigantic PITA which is why there hasn't been another one.

Haha, well it wasn't so big of a PITA that I wouldn't do it again!

BUT, Sorry to say, that I don't think I am gonna be able to do it again in the near/ foreseeable future. We have gotten really busy here in my shop and I won't have the space or the time for it. The area that I used to lay out / sort / store is now filled with our steel building materials.

I will be using another bag of the MO this weekend to brew a robust American style porter destined for hunting camp this year!

I would be able to help set up a delivery/distribution point with the needed forklift and space. I am located in the Shippenville/Clarion area right off I-80. So if bugman would like to discuss this, give me a shout.

I also have access to a shipping point with forklift and dock access for free. freight may be less because deliveries through fed ex freight or ups ground come in daily. It would be coming into a dock in the North Hills area

42 bags per pallet...you pay a pallet fee regardless ($120ish) so it only makes sense to get 42 bags. Country Malt is the name of the company bugman got it from. My purchase averaged .75 cents/#.

do you have an account with country malt? Last time I knew that were not giving new accounts to homebrewers...they were only accepting orders from previously aquired accounts. Just what I was told.

Yes, my brew group started a new account in March of this year, supposedly after they stopped selling to homebrews. I also asked about it and they said they still do sell to homebrewers. The guys in Texas started a new account just a couple of months ago.

Yea, after reading through the thread it was really unclear. good to hear they still allow individuals to buy in bulk.

Thanks

Hey folks, I'm moving out of the area shortly, so count me out for the next group buy.

Anybody know how I can unsubscribe from this thread?

I am interested in 2 bags 2-row, and possibly splitting a bag of munich and vienna with someone if interested.

You Don't have to trust me. I have been extremely busy with work lately and I haven't even gotten a chance to answer emails but I have a call into Country Malt and they should be getting back to me soon.

I'd be in for at least 1 bag of two row...possibly 2. kpr121, I would be game for spillting the munich and vienna with you. Have to see what prices come out to first and see what all works into the buget.

I'd be up for some bulk buying if this still goes down? Not sure what my order would be yet.. when is this going to happen?

You Don't have to trust me. I have been extremely busy with work lately and I haven't even gotten a chance to answer emails but I have a call into Country Malt and they should be getting back to me soon.

Jaykhjr and others - As I used to live in Pittsburgh and travel there to visit family, this thread caught my eye. If I might humbly refer you to the Syracuse group buy thread(s) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-6-group-grain-buy-279676/ (the current one) and the previous (completed) one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-5-group-grain-buy-266248/ as a way of organizing interest and keeping the tally updated. I'm not an organizer, but have participated in the last two buys (this last buy we did 66 bags plus Star San plus PBW). For the current buy (which isn't till "spring" but already has 18 bags accounted for), it has moved to tracking via a google docs spreadsheet which makes it easier to manage. If you read through it, you will also find that once the ball gets rolling, people jump in and the order is completed before you know it.

Hopefully you will find this useful. I'm not trying to tell you how to run things, just offering suggestions. (I might even be interested in participating (depending on dates) as it might be possible for me to have my brother pick up grains and hold them for me.)

Hope this helps.

A quick tally looks like we have enough for a buy. Does anyone have an account and a place to receive?

Yes, my brew group started a new account in March of this year, supposedly after they stopped selling to homebrews. I also asked about it and they said they still do sell to homebrewers. The guys in Texas started a new account just a couple of months ago.

Just got off the phone with CountryMalt and they will not except new accounts for homebrewers...have to be grandfathered in...that is what I was told. I would love to set up an account...sounds like you have to get the right person on the phone.

Is this round getting any closer to actually happening? Hopefully this can get squared away sooner rather than later.

Bugman has the account. I've been patiently waiting for him to chime in.

In the meantime, if anyone has any luck getting an account, I have a place in Monroeville to receive it.

I would also be in for probably 4 bags.

Bugman has the account. I've been patiently waiting for him to chime in.

In the meantime, if anyone has any luck getting an account, I have a place in Monroeville to receive it.

I would also be in for probably 4 bags.

If bugman doesn't want to deal with the whole thing again, maybe we can use his account and do everything else for him.

Back