Grounded Brewing Technologies - 240V eBIAB System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3-C12-F023-D010-44-FF-8-ACF-6-ABFA8212-BE8.jpg

What size stainless table is that? And where did you get the silicone mat? I just got a kettle from grounded’s sale and was hoping to piece together a similar setup to yours.

What size stainless table is that? And where did you get the silicone mat? I just got a kettle from grounded’s sale and was hoping to piece together a similar setup to yours.

Both came from Webstaurant Store. Table is 24” deep by 30” wide with a work surface height of 34”. The rubber mat is 18” by 24”.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...ash-and-galvanized-undershelf/600TB2430G.html

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...-mat-anti-fatigue-mat-black/8442502152BK.html

It was a great sale price. Easily a $300-350 value when compared to similar options (such as the Spike+ V4).

How are you recircing the mash? Are you just using one the tangential ports as the return?
Even with the smoking deal on the kettle, I don't know that I'm ready to move from the bag to the basket yet.

How are you recircing the mash? Are you just using one the tangential ports as the return?
Even with the smoking deal on the kettle, I don't know that I'm ready to move from the bag to the basket yet.

I used the upper tangential inlet to recirculate mash for the first few batches. Paired with a Blichmann Linear Flow Valve on the pump outlet to limit flow to a slow trickle.

From a conversion efficiency standpoint this worked perfectly fine. I’ve hit ~98% conversion efficiency every time.

For low oxygen pursuit purposes, I’ve moved to a floating stainless pizza pan with a piece of silicone tubing submerged just under the mash level. I’d like to eventually replace the silicone tubing with something like the SS Brewtech Manifold.

I punched a hole in the lid and recirculated that way. My first batch, I recirced through the top tangential port and I got a buildup of fine particles on the side of the basket. I figured if I recirced through the lid, those particles would have a better chance of staying inside the basket or bag.

Sounds like Grounded Brewing might be getting out of the homebrew equipment market for the time being.

They don’t plan to restock the 30A eBIAB Panels and the dual tangential inlet 15 gallon kettles are on fire sale at $140 shipped. I picked up a spare at that price as a backup and/or potentially as a mash tun to allow for bottom filling (underletting) the grist and also bottom draining from mash tun into boil kettle.

After seeing hints of this on GBT's IG, I was very concerned about future support in the event there are any issues with my system. Reached out to Rex on it and his response was:

"For the time being we will be focusing on our wholesale work that we have built up over the last year.

Yes, we will for sure continue to support any customers that have bought products from us in the past, as we might at some point get back into the home brew market especially as we continue to grow."

Bummer. Still, after all said and done, I love my setup and still have no regrets. I've gotten tons of compliments on it. I've ran 5 batches though and its a killer system. Glad to hear they're not going out of business and will still offer continued support for us past customers.

Would a couple folks who own this system measure the ID size of the tangential and drain ports? Maybe post a picture with a ruler measurement and/or just post the ID size.

Sounds like Grounded Brewing might be getting out of the homebrew equipment market for the time being.

I had a very poor experience trying to order from them, after months of promising my order would ship the end of this week or early next week i got tired of waiting and canceled my order.

It looks like a great system, but if they can't actually deliver it to a customer, how good is it really ?

Does anyone have the inside diameter of the mesh basket? The kettle is 15.75” but I don’t have the mesh basket ID.

3E5DF334-2295-4D5E-96D6-1B671B572627.jpeg 3E5DF334-2295-4D5E-96D6-1B671B572627.jpeg I did my first brew on the Grounded eBIAB System tonight. I’ve had it in waiting since October.....new basement is just about done.
I’ve been doing a ton of reading and prep, considered adding a second kettle, using the CFC for HERMS, ultimately decided not to mess with things in the pursuit of simple.
I ended up ditching the basket (cut off only the base and used with a steam rack) and use with a brew bag. I also added a self built Brundog steam condenser. I’m planning on using the steam condenser port to recirculate the mash through.
The brew day was sloppy just given the unfamiliarity but achieved 70% brew house efficiency on a 1.050 British bitter.
The CFC took the temp from boil to 18c in less than 10 mins. I didn’t try to throttle and direct drain to the fermenter, instead I went wide open into the whirlpool and disconnected whirlpool into the fermenter when the temp was hit. I also had only 2L loss from the CFC because I was able to gravity drain.
I recommend putting the temp tee on the pump inlet. I kept it there the entire brew without issue. You have to recirc the strike heat up and can’t see the boil temp rise but other than that it’s perfect. During whirlpool the temp would drop 1c more after the cold water was shut off.
The biggest challenge I face is cleaning and spills. I don’t have a dedicated setup so portability and a delicate footprint are key. Lots to improve on there!!
It was fun and challenging.......don’t take a hose off until you close the valve!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1DB6EA67-02A9-49D0-8DE2-0A1AF97F7A43.jpeg
    1DB6EA67-02A9-49D0-8DE2-0A1AF97F7A43.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 196
I did, and I'll most likely be posting mine up for sale soon, probably with a SS brewtech racking arm that works as a side pickup.

I’m really bummed I missed this. It is exactly what I’m looking for. If anyone is looking to part ways with this system let me know.

For low oxygen pursuit purposes, I’ve moved to a floating stainless pizza pan with a piece of silicone tubing submerged just under the mash level. I’d like to eventually replace the silicone tubing with something like the SS Brewtech Manifold.

What do you attach the silicone tubing to when submerging it under the mash level? Do you just run a long silicone tube from pump outlet straight to mash level, or do you attach something to the upper tangential port?

Resurrecting an old thread....

Anyone with this system - what’s the max grain bill you were able to do in the mesh basket? I am looking to brew up a stout soon that’s 25 lbs of total grain. Hoping this system can handle that much grain

Just brewed a Pecan Coffee Stout 4 days ago with an 18.75 lb. bill and at 9.75 Gallon Strike volume..... I had plenty of extra room for more grains. Depending on your strike volume, I’d say you’ll be fine As long as it’s a 5 Gal. Batch. In the 14 batches I’ve ran through my system, The only time I ever went over the basket edge was when I attempted a 10 Gal batch using 19 lbs. grain at 13.75 Gallons Strike. I think for my next batch, I’m going to max it out to see how many lbs. you can fit with a 11-12 Gallon strike.

Just brewed a Pecan Coffee Stout 4 days ago with an 18.75 lb. bill and at 9.75 Gallon Strike volume..... I had plenty of extra room for more grains. Depending on your strike volume, I’d say you’ll be fine As long as it’s a 5 Gal. Batch. In the 14 batches I’ve ran through my system, The only time I ever went over the basket edge was when I attempted a 10 Gal batch using 19 lbs. grain at 13.75 Gallons Strike. I think for my next batch, I’m going to max it out to see how many lbs. you can fit with a 11-12 Gallon strike.

Planning 25ish pounds with 10 gallons strike water. Glad to hear this should work. Thanks for responding!

Planning 25ish pounds with 10 gallons strike water. Glad to hear this should work. Thanks for responding!

I did a BIAB mash with a mesh basket - an RIS with 21.5 lbs of grain and 9 gallons of water. Drained the wort and sparged again with 2 gallons. Had a pre-boil volume of ~10 gallons.

Back