Grounded Brewing Technologies - 240V eBIAB System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As there's no comparison that building your own setup will definitely be the most cost efficient and overall significantly cheaper way to go, some (myself included) might be seeking a complete turnkey solution in lieu of piecing everything together. I agree though, the $1,800.00 price point was definitely higher then everyone expected... especially without a chiller. Unfortunately there's only a few 240v options out there to compare:

CH - 10G w/EBS 240v Panel & Element - $1,414.00

HG – 240V w/SSbt 15Gal. & TD5 Pump - $1,135.00 (No Chiller / Nylon Bag)

BB - 15G 240v COFI - $1,620.00 (No Chiller)

UniBrau – 10G 240V w/ETC+SV240 - $1,569.00

Blichmann – 10G Brew Easy W/Plate Chiller & Butterfly Whirlpool - $2,554.00

Personally, I've been waiting since February to invest my $ on the SSBrewtech eBIAB system, but that was a complete disappointment. No basket, and we still don't even have pricing on the EKettles yet. However, with a $599.00 Controller, and EKettle "Priced similarly to our current offerings" Will probably still put you right around the $900.00 - $1,000.00 before pump, basket, chiller, fittings, etc.

Since it's an introductory kit, and brand new to the market, I'd love to see GBT possibly offer an "Early Bird" Backer or Pre-Order discount. Would definitely help garner & persuade those still on the fence or apprehensive at the current price tag.
It's 1700.00 +10% off if ordered within the first week!

My original target price point was in the $1,200 range, but after seeing the quality and not needing anything else to get brewing with the system, $1,530 (price after 10% discount) is very tempting!

I’ll be giving a purchase serious thought over the next few days during the pre-order plus 10% off period.

Honestly, IMO offering the system @ $100.00 cheaper than originally MSRP'd, + adding in a 10% Early Bird backer discount is excellent “Good Faith" customer service.

I budgeted about $1,350.00 for my new system... Even With adding the new Heat Exchanger, and using the 10% discount puts it right at $1,710.00; $360.00 more then I originally budgeted. For Top Tier Equipment that looks like it will last a long time + a chiller... the extra $360.00 is worth it for me. Will be ordering mine on Friday.

So I got a question about the inlets. So one of the bottom ones is for the element and the other bottom is for the pickup.
Is the lower tangential one for the whirlpool intake and the higher one for the whirlpool outlet? (That would seem odd to me to do it that way since I wouldn't think you'd want them oriented in the same direction)
Or are there 2 different tangential heights so you can pick whichever one based on your batch size?
Or is the lower tangential one for whirlpools and the higher tangential one for recirc during mash?

So I got a question about the inlets. So one of the bottom ones is for the element and the other bottom is for the pickup.
Is the lower tangential one for the whirlpool intake and the higher one for the whirlpool outlet? (That would seem odd to me to do it that way since I wouldn't think you'd want them oriented in the same direction)
Or are there 2 different tangential heights so you can pick whichever one based on your batch size?
Or is the lower tangential one for whirlpools and the higher tangential one for recirc during mash?

The lower tangential would be for whirlpool inlet return from the pump (with the exit from the kettle to the pump coming from the standard lower outlet pickup).

The upper tangential is for mash recirculation, which would help maintain consistent temperature throughout the mash and should improve efficiency.

I would also plan to use the upper tangential inlet to connect the Brun boil condenser design during the boil!

@groundedbrewtech
How long does it take to cool down the wort to pitching temperature with the heat exchanger?
is it possible to order a 400 micron mesh
Could you post some instructions for a typical brew session using with your system? I'm keen to learn how you recommend operating this system. Thanks!

So now that the final rendition is out, and all the parts are listed, as well as some like the kettle individually outside the package, I can't see why anyone would be "jumping" at this price point. Even at full MSRP for all of the components, you get to about $1,200-$1,300, could easily get down towards $1,000 as an every-day customer by sourcing parts from various places and being price conscious. DIYing the controller and a few other items would definitely get you under that $1,000 mark, but that's outside of this conversation.

The kettle is nice, kudos on that, but there's nothing revolutionary about the system, it's just a 220v version of the Clawhammer with TC fitttings, for over twice the price. At what I assume the cost is to GBT, you're talking around 75% markup, if not more, for what they're charging. Like I said, about $1,200 is fair (before the chiller), but the current premium is illogical.

So now that the final rendition is out, and all the parts are listed, as well as some like the kettle individually outside the package, I can't see why anyone would be "jumping" at this price point. Even at full MSRP for all of the components, you get to about $1,200-$1,300, could easily get down towards $1,000 as an every-day customer by sourcing parts from various places and being price conscious. DIYing the controller and a few other items would definitely get you under that $1,000 mark, but that's outside of this conversation.

The kettle is nice, kudos on that, but there's nothing revolutionary about the system, it's just a 220v version of the Clawhammer with TC fitttings, for over twice the price. At what I assume the cost is to GBT, you're talking around 75% markup, if not more, for what they're charging. Like I said, about $1,200 is fair (before the chiller), but the current premium is illogical.

Well I jumped, and I don't regret it one bit. You've seemed to have forgotten that for some this isn't that expensive. I found that it was a great value for the money. Expensive is very subjective, Some people think a new Honda is expensive whilst others wouldn't bat an eye at purchasing a Bentley.

Next time please don't be so judgmental.

The 15 gallon kettle with 4 welded TC ports and custom mesh basket is fairly priced at $450 compared to other options on the market.

The eBIAB controller is fairly priced at $476 compared to other options on the market. And IMO has the best fit/finish of any in that price range.

That’s $926. With the 10% discount, the kit is $1,530. Subtract out the SS Chugger ($150) and you are left with $454 to cover the accessories. You could save a little bit of money by piecing together the accessories list, but you’re not talking more than $150-200 in savings over the $1,530 price.

Essentially the kettle, mesh basket, controller, and SS Chugger are fairly priced (IMO) at $1,076 combined. Up to each individual if they want to pay a small markup for the accessories list, or just order everything in one shot and have a system ready to use right out of the box.

Accessories list includes the 5500W ULD TC element, (4) TC butterfly valves, (12) TC clamps and gaskets, (6) TC to hose barb fittings, TC tee fitting, TC pickup tube, all tubing and adapters, etc.

Note: When the price jumps to the full $1,700 this value proposition becomes less attractive and piecing out the accessories makes more sense.

Last edited:
Well I jumped, and I don't regret it one bit. You've seemed to have forgotten that for some this isn't that expensive. I found that it was a great value for the money. Expensive is very subjective, Some people think a new Honda is expensive whilst others wouldn't bat an eye at purchasing a Bentley.

Next time please don't be so judgmental.
My comment was not even directed towards you, it's solely my opinion on the matter after reviewing the numbers. Next time don't read into what's not there.

The 15 gallon kettle with 4 welded TC ports and custom mesh basket is fairly priced at $450 compared to other options on the market.

The eBIAB controller is fairly priced at $476 compared to other options on the market. And IMO has the best fit/finish of any in that price range.

That’s $926. With the 10% discount, the kit is $1,530. Subtract out the SS Chugger ($150) and you are left with $454 to cover the accessories. You could save a little bit of money by piecing together the accessories list, but you’re not talking more than $150-200 in savings over the $1,530 price.

Essentially the kettle, mesh basket, controller, and SS Chugger are fairly priced (IMO) at $1,076 combined. Up to each individual if they want to pay a small markup for the accessories list, or just order everything in one shot and have a system ready to use right out of the box.

Accessories list includes the 5500W ULD TC element, (4) TC butterfly valves, (12) TC clamps and gaskets, (6) TC to hose barb fittings, TC tee fitting, TC pickup tube, all tubing and adapters, etc.

Note: When the price jumps to the full $1,700 this value proposition becomes less attractive and piecing out the accessories makes more sense.
Kettle and basket numbers are fair at that point, I can accept the price point of the controller (but I do think it's a tad high - seemed to think they used to sell for sub-$400), and you laid out the rest nicely. Like you pointed out, those accessories just don't add up to that $454, much less almost $600 when it goes up to full price. Take out the 1-2 unnecessary butterfly valves, like on the pump, and replace with ball valves, then drop the tee fitting with the temp probe input for a better placed probe in the kettle, and you hack even more off the price.

I'm just saying when sold as a bundle, business sense dictates that you wouldn't charge more than MSRP for individual pieces, or else customers would just buy the components separately. The profit margin is already built into the MSRP as well, so technically the additional mark-up is profit on top of profit. I agree with your Note.

FWIW, after looking at the specs for the chiller on the website it looks to me to be either this chiller or one very similar. I just received one of these (haven't had a chance to use it yet) and it's a beast. If this is the chiller that Grounded is offering for $200 it's a great deal because for almost no markup you get it without paying for shipping from Stout Tanks which is pretty steep (I think it cost me about $50 to MA) and you don't need to wait for the next batch to be available. Lead time when ordering direct is 1-3 months from what I've seen.

https://conical-fermenter.com/wc30x1/2-ss-tc-670_stainless-steel-wort-chiller.html

FWIW, after looking at the specs for the chiller on the website it looks to me to be either this chiller or one very similar. I just received one of these (haven't had a chance to use it yet) and it's a beast. If this is the chiller that Grounded is offering for $200 it's a great deal because for almost no markup you get it without paying for shipping from Stout Tanks which is pretty steep (I think it cost me about $50 to MA) and you don't need to wait for the next batch to be available. Lead time when ordering direct is 1-3 months from what I've seen.

https://conical-fermenter.com/wc30x1/2-ss-tc-670_stainless-steel-wort-chiller.html

I did ask in an email if it was similar to the Stout offering and they said yes.

If you look at the specs there are very few differences. Only $180 as an add-on with the 10% off code!

I did ask in an email if it was similar to the Stout offering and they said yes.

If you look at the specs there are very few differences. Only $180 as an add-on with the 10% off code!
Yeah, they're offering a very good deal. If I had waited a couple months to put together my system I probably would have ended up getting this. I'm pretty stoked on my 2 vessel system but I love seeing all the electric options that are coming to market, it's making electric much more accessible for people.

I also took the jump today and opted for the full kit with CFC. Total spent $1,710.00. Although I have no regrets, Yes it's a tough pill to swallow... but I've been in the market for 6 months and with the exception of a spider, this kit met all my prerequisites verbatim. In the 6+ months of waiting, I've been comparing all the systems and took a long and hard look at the CH system, but no 240v was a deal breaker for me + the kettles are on the thinner side at only .08mm compared to a Spike/GBT thickness of 1.2mm. Unibrau was my next choice @ $1,569.00, but is only 10G compared to GBT's 15G. In conclusion, as alluded to in an earlier post, there's no doubt building your own system will be the most economical route as we all agree... But for those of us who want the simplicity in a turnkey 240v out of box system, it seems there are 3 levels that can fall within different budgets and with many different variables into each system:

1) Entry Level $800 - $1,100 - CH
2) Mid Level $1,100 - $1,500 - HG
3) High Level - $1500+ - UB, BB, Blichmann

Obviously the GBT kit falls on the latter end; with that said, in a hypothetical situation, if SSBT or Spike released a kit identical to GBT 's features & option's, there is no doubt in my mind it would priced right in line with (or if not higher) then the GBT $1,530.00.

@enormous13 I know you were definitely sticker shocked with the $1,700.00 price tag from GBT... Have you considered the HG system with an SSbt 15G Kettle? That's more in line with your budget. If not, maybe hold out for the CH 240v system?

FWIW, similar to Spike's Klarna financing promotion, Paypal is currently offering 6 months no interest on any purchase over $99.00.

Rex just emailed over a picture of the new chiller. Looks sexy

thumbnail_zpsmfd7dv20.jpg

I’m still on the fence. 240v and 5500W is also a must if I make the move to eBIAB, not interested in waiting long periods of time for water to heat up.

The dilemma is jump in with GBT at $1,710 (with stainless CFC) now, or give it 6 months and re-evaluate. I’m fairly certain the options will expand greatly in that timeframe and the price points will feel some downward pressure as more competition comes to market.

Ordered the kit, table and chiller. Not mad at all about the price and like others have said I'm buying a premium turn key kit, couldn't be more excited.

This is in addition to the 3v propane setup I own, electricity gives me the convince factor, ease of cleanup and simplicity I want.

@Quadrider @groundedbrewtech and thats the chiller above thats an additional purchase right? Not the tube one that was on there for a moment?

Ordered the kit, table and chiller. Not mad at all about the price and like others have said I'm buying a premium turn key kit, couldn't be more excited.

This is in addition to the 3v propane setup I own, electricity gives me the convince factor, ease of cleanup and simplicity I want.

@Quadrider @groundedbrewtech and thats the chiller above thats an additional purchase right? Not the tube one that was on there for a moment?

Thank you very much for your order!! Yes the picture above is the chiller that is included with the kit rather than the tube chiller. Thank you again for your support!

@groundedbrewtech
How long does it take to cool down the wort to pitching temperature with the heat exchanger?
is it possible to order a 400 micron mesh
Could you post some instructions for a typical brew session using with your system? I'm keen to learn how you recommend operating this system. Thanks!

Hey! The counterflow chiller that will be included in the kit is a single pass chiller so basically the time is takes to drain the kettle depending on how open the valves are.

Yes if interested in a 400 micron mesh that can be done.

Yes we are updating the site with instructions as we speak and will have a video up in the next week or two on brewing with the system.

Let us know if you have any other questions at all!

I also took the jump today and opted for the full kit with CFC. Total spent $1,710.00. Although I have no regrets, Yes it's a tough pill to swallow... but I've been in the market for 6 months and with the exception of a spider, this kit met all my prerequisites verbatim. In the 6+ months of waiting, I've been comparing all the systems and took a long and hard look at the CH system, but no 240v was a deal breaker for me + the kettles are on the thinner side at only .08mm compared to a Spike/GBT thickness of 1.2mm. Unibrau was my next choice @ $1,569.00, but is only 10G compared to GBT's 15G. In conclusion, as alluded to in an earlier post, there's no doubt building your own system will be the most economical route as we all agree... But for those of us who want the simplicity in a turnkey 240v out of box system, it seems there are 3 levels that can fall within different budgets and with many different variables into each system:

1) Entry Level $800 - $1,100 - CH
2) Mid Level $1,100 - $1,500 - HG
3) High Level - $1500+ - UB, BB, Blichmann

Obviously the GBT kit falls on the latter end; with that said, in a hypothetical situation, if SSBT or Spike released a kit identical to GBT 's features & option's, there is no doubt in my mind it would priced right in line with (or if not higher) then the GBT $1,530.00.

@enormous13 I know you were definitely sticker shocked with the $1,700.00 price tag from GBT... Have you considered the HG system with an SSbt 15G Kettle? That's more in line with your budget. If not, maybe hold out for the CH 240v system?

FWIW, similar to Spike's Klarna financing promotion, Paypal is currently offering 6 months no interest on any purchase over $99.00.
That's a pretty fair and accurate break-down. I was pretty bummed with the SS Brewtech release and numbers, you're right that they'd be even higher than this, I'm thinking Blichmann BrewEasy territory, which is absurd.

I've been fairly happy with the BIAB system that I put together, I was just excited to see this nice 220v system coming to market, since I think I'd like to make the jump from 120v soon, but you're right about sticker shock getting to me. Right now, I wouldn't take the leap for any of the kits listed since I've got a working system already and price-wise it doesn't make sense to me. In the end, I may end up ordering a controller from GBT (or if I have the spare time, just DIYing it) and installing a new element on my kettle for a couple/few hundred bucks.

If I decide to pull the trigger now vs. waiting 6+ months to re-evaluate the market, my options seem to be High Gravity or Grounded Brewing.

With High Gravity, the 240V system with 15 gallon SS Brewtech kettle comes out to $1,178 shipped. Add the Stout CFC (comparable to the GBT option) at about $250 shipped and the total is up to $1,428. Also requires a whirlpool fitting and ball valve to be added. All NPT vs. TC and ball valves vs. butterfly.

As discussed before, the GBT option is $1,710 shipped and I can’t think of anything else needed from a fittings / add-on standpoint. Is anyone who has pre-ordered planning to add anything beyond what the kit includes?

Are there any other 240V options currently in the marketplace? Or on the near horizon?

is anyone who has pre-ordered planning to add anything beyond what the kit includes?

Only thing I’m planning on adding is a Spider. Even though there is a whirlpool, I’d still like to reduce any hops going into CFC

I want to make a quick observation on the discussion about the price of the setup...

It has been said a few time that raw components come to about $1000 +/-

So it comes down to paying for labor to build out the kit....

So in my mind it comes down to what is my time worth to me....

Guess how many people can actually answer that question....

T

If I decide to pull the trigger now vs. waiting 6+ months to re-evaluate the market, my options seem to be High Gravity or Grounded Brewing.

With High Gravity, the 240V system with 15 gallon SS Brewtech kettle comes out to $1,178 shipped. Add the Stout CFC (comparable to the GBT option) at about $250 shipped and the total is up to $1,428. Also requires a whirlpool fitting and ball valve to be added. All NPT vs. TC and ball valves vs. butterfly.

As discussed before, the GBT option is $1,710 shipped and I can’t think of anything else needed from a fittings / add-on standpoint. Is anyone who has pre-ordered planning to add anything beyond what the kit includes?

Are there any other 240V options currently in the marketplace? Or on the near horizon?

I pulled the trigger on this after running through the many options including a self built option. This is the best in my mind. The other I seriously considered was the Brausupply Unibrau but then you’re looking at a 10g pot, no whirlpool and not as good a controller.

The included pump has been updated on their website as “NEW X-DRY (RUN DRY PROTECTION) CENTER INLET CHUGGER PUMP WITH STAINLESS HEAD”.

Anyone have experience with the new X-Dry Chugger Pumps? I wasn’t able to find any reviews other than a video made by Chugger explaining the features.

The included pump has been updated on their website as “NEW X-DRY (RUN DRY PROTECTION) CENTER INLET CHUGGER PUMP WITH STAINLESS HEAD”.

Anyone have experience with the new X-Dry Chugger Pumps? I wasn’t able to find any reviews other than a video made by Chugger explaining the features.

Hey!

These pumps are essentially the same as the original, but chugger has updated the bearing for the propeller on them that does not cause issues when the pump runs dry. These are FDA certified run dry pumps that do not cause issues to the product i.e. wort when ran dry.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Received notice from Rex and the site has been updated.

The stainless mesh basket shipping with the kits will now be 400 micron as it improved efficiency by a few %.

Makes sense that with a slightly increased recirculation flow rate and drainage rate once you lift the basket that you’d get a bit more sugar out of the grain.

Is the kettle 304 stainless? looks like 201 like chapman uses from the pic but could just be the filter used... Not that it really matter for homebrewing unless someones using commercial caustic cleaners on it.

Makes sense that with a slightly increased recirculation flow rate and drainage rate once you lift the basket that you’d get a bit more sugar out of the grain.
I cant comment on the drainage but the recirculation comment is not necessarily true. I recirculate at 1.5gpm with a flowmeter to measure flrowrate and get 91% average efficiency that way since it discriminates against channeling and promotes even consistent flow and temps. That said I dont doubt the 400 screen will help.

Looks Like Clawhammer just released their 240v 5500w Setup today... Priced at $1,449.00. That's way higher then I presumed; compared to their 120v @ $850.00.

In comparison to GBT from an overall value standpoint.... the 15 Gallon capacity, Thicker Kettle, TC Fittings, Butterfly's, Omron PIDs, Beautifully laser etched panel, Chugger branded pump, and an all stainless CFC FAR exceeds the extra $261.00 I spent on GBT's setup.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/co...oducts/electric-home-brewing-system-240v-biab

Back