Ground Spices in Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a Ginger Bread Brown Ale kit from AHS for Christmas, and brewed it up over the weekend. It has a packet of ground spices, which I'm not entire sure of how to best add it. I read up on adding spices and most use whole spices and I've seen recommendations of making a tincture with them, then adding during secondary or bottling. So my questions are this:

When making the tincture, how much vodka should I use (mix until I make a paste, loose paste, or mix with ~1/2 cup)?

Should I dump the entire tincture into my fermenter during secondary fermentation or while bottling?

Do I use the entire mixed tincture or just the liquid?

I'd suggest to add ground spices toward the end of the boil.
If you want a stronger spice flavor, add it on day 5 to the fermenter.

IMHO a tincture for ground spices is completely pointless.

Cheers

I had not thought of putting the spices in at the end of the boil until after I had pitched the yeast. Should I be concerned about infection just adding the spice to the fermenter? I was under the impression I should do something to sterilize the spice before addition to prevent infection.

Should I be concerned about infection just adding the spice to the fermenter? I was under the impression I should do something to sterilize the spice before addition to prevent infection.
If sanitation concerns you, put the ground spice in a little bit of water and bring to a boil in the microwave. Then dump it into the fermenter.
Easy peasy :)

The kit didn't come with instructions for when to add the spice?

Instructions say to add during second fermentation. While I was researching how to sanitize, I saw other options, such as adding at the end of the boil or when bottling. I haven't found much on the order of ground spices and best practice on adding, so I haven't been certain how best to add and avoid a potential infection, being the first time I'm adding anything during fermentation.

Heat is generally the best way to sanitize.

Adding spices at the end of the boil is simple and safe.

Adding spices direct to the fermenter is usually fine but does carry some risk.

Adding a hot tea or tincture (with or without also adding the spices) to the fermenter is definitely an option, with less risk of contamination.

Adding a tea or tincture (without adding the spices) when packaging is an option. This method gives you the most control since you can add to taste.

In general, the later you add a flavoring, the more prominent it will be.

The alcohol used for tinctures may carry over flavor into the beer, depending on what you used and how much.

Hope this helps

At this point, being firmly in the camp of avoiding secondary fermentation(with the exception of sours, barrel aged stuff etc..) you could go the boiled water route, or you could put them into some flavorless(vodka) alcohol, probably more than a paste, but not by too much and add them to the fermenter. Alternatively, you could use something that might complement the beer (spiced rum), put the spices into ~2-300ml for a few days, add that to the bottom of your bottling bucket when you add the priming sugar, stir well(but carefully to avoid O2), and see where that takes you.

Back