grisette suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Hey guys. First post, but a long time lurker on these boards. So happy to finally be stepping out of the shadows... Anywho, I'm taking a crack at an extract grisette and need a little advice on my recipe. This is actually my 2nd attempt at a grisette; I got a little overly ambitious on my 1st attempt and it didn't turn out how I had hoped - coriander bomb :(( I went back to the drawing board and simplified the recipe, but still have a few questions.

1) how does my hop schedule look? would you change anything? Too much EKG at flameout?
2) any tips for maximizing the attenuation of this yeast - Wyeast 3711?
3) should i transfer to a secondary to help clarify this brew since 3711 is low floc.

Frenchy's Tout de suite:

5.5 Gallons
OG 1.054
FG 1.010

Partial boil 3.5gal

3# Briess Plisen DME
3# Muntons wheat DME
.5# Weyermann Carahelles (10L)
.5# table sugar (late addition)

60min - 2oz. Hallertau
20min - 1oz. Styrian Goldings
0min - 2oz East Kent Goldings

Whirlfloc at 15min

Wyeast 3711

I've been trying my hand at Grisette recently. I'm just going off the info in Farmhouse Ales, but from my understanfing of the style, your starting gravity is .005 to .010 too high, you only want 16-18 ibu and with the late hop being 2/3rds the amount of the aroma addition, should be 75% barley malt & 25% wheat malt, skip the carahelles, and use wl550 or another belgian strain that is more fruity/estery and less phenolic/spicy. It's supposed to be a low alcohol, golden, lightly hopped beer 'of no great distinction.' That is too say, something a miner can have with lunch, and not go back to work drunk and smelling of beer.

That being said, it looks like you have a good recipe for a hoppy, saison influenced ale. :)I think there are probably some good 3711 threads if you poke around with the search a little bt.

Thanks for your help! Great suggestions. I guess I'll skip the steeping grains, but I would really like to keep the starting gravity where it is. I know it's a bit high and not true to style and I'm okay with that. Here's another question; since my wheat DME is 55% wheat malt and 45% barley malt, is it okay to just use equal amounts Wheat DME and Pilsen DME? Doesn't that put me at about a 75/25 ratio?

Thanks for your help! Great suggestions. I guess I'll skip the steeping grains, but I would really like to keep the starting gravity where it is. I know it's a bit high and not true to style and I'm okay with that. Here's another question; since my wheat DME is 55% wheat malt and 45% barley malt, is it okay to just use equal amounts Wheat DME and Pilsen DME? Doesn't that put me at about a 75/25 ratio?

Without actually putting pen to paper, I'd say that sounds about right. Let me know how it goes.

Getting really excited about this one! I'll let you know how it goes. Here's my revised recipe:

5.5 Gallons
OG 1.052
FG 1.009

3# Briess Plisen DME
3# Muntons wheat DME
.5# table sugar (late addition)

60min - 1.5oz. Hallertau
15min - 1oz. Styrian Goldings
15min - 0.5oz Hallertau
0min - 1oz East Kent Goldings

Whirlfloc at 15min
WL550