Wit Bier priming sugar question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggs1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I completed my first all grain brew this weekend (finally graduated from extract). I made a Wit Bier and my question is about the priming sugar when it comes time. This Wit Bier was my first home brew a year ago when I started and it was an extract. When it came time to bottle, it called for 1 1/4 cups of DME. When it was finished, it was way over carbonated. I have posted the all grain recipe below which calls for 6.7oz of DME. I don't want to run into the over carbonated bottles again and wondering if the amount of DME is to much. If so, how much do you think would best to use? (Yes i know kegging is better, but can't afford that right now) I had my LHBS add more pounds because I wanted a higher ABV.

9# Bel Pale
5# Wheat
3/4# Aromatic
1# Rice Hulls
1/2# Flaked wheat
1oz Bitter orange
1 1/2tsp Crushed coriander

1oz Willamette Hops
1/2oz Styrian Golding hops

Wyeast #3944 Belgian Witbier
1tsp Ascorbic acid
6.7oz DME

My pre-boil gravity was 1.062 and the OG was 1.064.

The guy at my LHBS told me I could add some DME to my boil. I looked at him like I was stupid. Because I am and had no idea what he was talking about.

Thank you for your input.

I've started bottle priming with sugar cubes. A "Domino Dot" sugar cube is just right for a 12 oz bottle, or two in a 22 oz bomber. Two of the bigger C&H sugar cubes in a 1 liter plastic bottle.

I like 3.0vol CO2 for a Belgian Witbier in standard pop-top capped bottles.

(I actually like more carbonation than that in a Wit, but I very much dislike bottle bombs.)

I've found that an ounce of priming sugar per finished gallon of beer is about right for carbonation without gushers and/or bottle bombs. So, for a batch that has five finished gallons of beer, I"d use 5 ounces (by weight).

Back