Greetings from South-West Washington State - The Beautiful Pacific Coast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have been perusing the forums for the past couple weeks. My wife purchased a Mr. Beer kit for me because she saw it on sale, I see this isn't a unique thing as there is a whole section on Mr. Beer here. I have a habit of running with hobbies until I get bored but this is a hobby I think I'm really gonna love. I love beer and I really like sharing things I make with my friends so this is going to be a great adventure!

I literally just took a sample taste of my first batch from the Mr. Beer Keg and I was pleasantly surprised that it actually tasted like beer. I'm going to let it ferment at least until the 10th before I bottle it. I have been busy researching equipment and over the past week dropped a little more than my wife will appreciate on equipment.

I have two primary fermenters (buckets) coming, two better bottle carboys for secondary fermentation and a bottling bucket, some of this was in a starter kit from Midwest Supplies. I also got a hydrometer with the kit, an auto siphon, all the tubing, tons of extra stuff. Purchased a 5 gallon SS pot but them upgraded to an 8 gallon pot with bottom valve at my LHBS. Learned a lot from the nice guy at that shop and I know where I'll be returning for any new items I need.

I am setting up a brew cart in my garage that will make things a little easier, I plan on doing extract brewing to start with but may expand my horizons as I gain some experience. I also setup a fermenting closet, I have a downstairs rec-room that I can control the temp on that will be nice based on what I've read.

My first brew is going to be "Hank's Hefeweizen" using Weihenstephan Weizen Activator Wyeast ACT3068. I love Hefeweizen and was actually looking for brews similar to what this one says it is. I also ordered an Irish Red Ale, both of the kits I've ordered have been from Midwest Supplies. I've read lots of good reviews so hopefully they show up next week as I expected. I can hardly wait to have my first brew day, I bought enough equipment so I could at least alternate brews until I build up some inventory.

I really love beer that has a strong mouthy feel with an orange smell/taste. Any suggestions on here of what I could do on my first brew to accentuate that part of the beer? I was wondering if I could take fresh oranges and grate the zest off and put that in at the latter part of the boil. Still trying to figure out how all of this works but I think I have the concept of sanitize, brew, ferment, bottle, condition, chill and drink...... Heavy emphasis on the drink.

Can't wait to brew and share my results. Thanks for the very helpful community here!

Welcome to the madness. Sounds like you have the bug.

I know there's good salmon and tuna fishing up in Westport.

:ban:

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

You might want to look into wit beers, they do well with orange zest. Best of luck!

Sounds like you guys are getting some serious flooding and landslides up there today.

Hope you stay dry.

Yes. Weather is rough. Unfortunately we are the hardest hit. I'm good though and got off early from work due to the flooding.

Latest posts

Back