Greetings from South Louisiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdharris55

Reaction score
A while back my SWMBO asked me why was it, with as much beer as I consume, that I had never tried brewing my own. Hmmm...I hate it when she stumps me like that. During my initial thinking and investigating stage, I stumbled on HomeBrewTalk.com. I was impressed by the depth and variety of knowledge and the seeming willingness to help anyone with anything from marital problems, hop selections to bottle label designs. Simply amazing.

I became a HBT supporter($$) before my first attempt at brewing.

After study and careful consideration and trying to keep semi-low on the SWMBO radar, I decided to jump in with an all grain BIAB first shot at brewing (I understand the sacrilegious thoughts that BIAB causes with some...sorry was flying in SWMBO stealth mode). Woohoo! The key thoughts from a up north buddy and reinforced by the good people on HBT was "sanitize everything" and "don't worry!" Of course, it's "don't worry, have a home brew!" but at the time, having no home brew, I settled for SN Torpedo IPA.

Brew day went fairly well...struggled a bit with my propane burner in the bright sunshine (hard to see and adjust the flame, consuming way too much fuel), missed target temps, clueless about efficiency...but I was sanitary and enjoyed the afternoon outside with a new hobby...and of course, craft beer.

Fast forward to this week when I racked my poorly fashioned, poorly brewed but sanitary IPA directly to a corny and force carbed. Quick number check says that the resulting gold nectar is around 5% ABV...and with a nice hoppy taste. Woohoo! 5 gallons of this stuff and it only cost me $85 a gallon!! I'm in.

The second brew day was a major improvement...always sanitary but much better control over everything. Woohoo! Another IPA. That brings my historical cost closer to $45 a gallon! Transferring to keg over this coming weekend and expecting great things! And of course, from now on I can relax and have a home brew!

Thanks HBT!

I forgot to add...One empty fermentor and the ingredients for a nice porter are on the way!

Congrats on getting into this great hobby/obsession...

Don't worry about the costs or you will drive yourself nuts, the sooner that you realize that you will not save money brewing the happier you will be :mug:

(only one batch on the way? I have three on the way:D)

btw i'm :drunk:

Back