Greetings from ND

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grubba

Reaction score
New brewer here from North Dakota. Started brewing with a friend in October and we've already brewed six batches:

1-American IPA
2-Dry Stout
3-Smoked Porter
4-ESB
5-RyePA (dry-hopped) - in secondary
6-Chili Brown - in primary

Planned: Imperial IPA, Rauchbier

Completely skipped over extract brewing and we're doing partial-mash. Looking to step up our techniques soon and start using yeast starters and going to build an immersion wort chiller.

This is an addictive hobby...:mug:

Greetings from Grand Forks, and welcome to the obsession Grubba!

If you're looking to build an immersion chiller, search the DIY threads for the "rib cage" style IC. It's pretty cool looking and more efficient than the standard configuration IC. I am currently building one myself.

One lesson I learned the hard way: don't let Home Depot sell you refrigeration tubing. Nominal size on refrigeration tubing is measured by the OD, whereas all other small-bore tubing is measured by the ID. Solder cup fittings are hard to find for refrigeration tubing (here in Grand Forks, anyway).

If you're looking to build an immersion chiller, search the DIY threads for the "rib cage" style IC. It's pretty cool looking and more efficient than the standard configuration IC. I am currently building one myself.

One lesson I learned the hard way: don't let Home Depot sell you refrigeration tubing. Nominal size on refrigeration tubing is measured by the OD, whereas all other small-bore tubing is measured by the ID. Solder cup fittings are hard to find for refrigeration tubing (here in Grand Forks, anyway).

Thanks for the info on the rib cage design, I've never seen one of those before.

As far as the copper tubing, I've discovered that it's quite a bit cheaper at Lowe's than anywhere else. Like ~$25 for 50ft. No chance of me going to Home Depot, those idiots built their store right across the street from Menard's and quickly went out of business a few years ago. So now their building sits empty and hotels are being build in the parking lot, LOL!

Greetings, and welcome to HBT - Big oil rush out your way, I read..

Yup, but it's more in the western part of the state. Unfortunately, this "progress" is going to permanently change this state in a negative way, I fear. Tons of people from all over the country are flocking to the oil fields looking for work, the small communities out there are growing too fast (and can't keep up), and when the oil boom is over the companies will just pack up and leave. Then all that will be left will be all the people that moved up here, angry and looking for work. All the new hotels/housing/businesses being built now will be empty when the population drops again, and they will end up similar to places like Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo. Oh, did I mention that crime has gone up dramatically since the oil boom started?

Eh....sorry....sensitive topic for those of us around here. :drunk:

Oh, did I mention that crime has gone up dramatically since the oil boom started?

Eh....sorry....sensitive topic for those of us around here. :drunk:

I watched a video of the boom, and was amazed to see all that housing going up, and cld only think "this too shall pass" ... pole dancers making $700/night ! Crazy..

I guess u r glad to be east..

I watched a video of the boom, and was amazed to see all that housing going up, and cld only think "this too shall pass" ... pole dancers making $700/night ! Crazy..

I guess u r glad to be east..

I've heard that strippers are making even more than that...like 2k a night! There's probably a little more than just stripping going on, though...Those communities out there are hurting bad right now, like I said crime is going wayyyy up and they can't hire enough law enforcement because why be a cop and make 40-50k a year when you can work in the oil fields and make twice that amount?

Ya, I'm glad that I don't live in a place like Williston, Dickinson, or Minot where they're really feeling the effects of the boom, but I'm starting to hear rumors about the overflow starting to trickle further east. Apparently there are talks about building a "man camp" somewhere north of Bismarck. Ugh...

Back