Greetings from Canada!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baseout

Reaction score
I have been reading the forum for several months and it has helped me a ton in getting into this hobby turned obsession. I was initially given permission by SWMBO to do 1gal batches, that was 3 months ago. I now have 3 1gal growlers brewing mead and cider as well as 3 3gal BB's each brewing 2.5-gal batches of an ESB, an IPA and a Brown Porter, plus 1 more waiting for the Dry Irish Stout to be put into it this weekend. After the first batch of partial mash i moved straight into AG brewing and love it! Just this week SWMBO approved the purchase of 2 25kg bags of grain plus 50lbs of various specialty malts and 4lbs of hops...so much for just doing 1gal batches once and a while, seems it is 2.5gal every week and soon to be 5gal batches! Love the forum and love the 'hobby'!
Cheers
Sean

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

If the SWMBO isn't a beer fan, Apfelwein, cider, wine, or melomel might be a great way to get her to appreciate what you're crafting. It went a long way in my household, for sure. Now she gives away wine / cider all the time, gets great kudos at "ladies nights" and they don't realize the Apfelwein is 12%!

SWMBO is anything but a beer fan, which is why i most certainly am brewing mead/cider for her. I brew indoors and according to her 'stink up the house' but she continues to allow this obsession and has even gone as far as tasting an amber I made and replied "that actually isn't horrible, but is too bitter for me."

The wife gives me a hard time when I take over the kitchen on a brew day. But I love it, so she puts up with it.
Where in Canada are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

me too. so nice that torontobrewing.com opened an actual store. there prices aren't great but saving on shipping is nice.
have you ever bought grain at "grain prosses enterprises'? they sell a 55lbs sack of 2-row foe $33.40 no tax. so much cheaper than any LHBS

I have not actually heard of them. I do like getting up to Toronto Brewing and talking with the guys up there. Actually just picked up 2 bags, 2 row and Maris Otter, from them last week. Not cheap but they are cheaper than Canadian Brewing Supplies in Brampton though. Where is grain prosses? Do they sell any other grain?

grain presses enterprises in at warden and Sheppard I think. they have a few malts (2-row, wheat, Munich, chocolate and a few crystals I think. but they only sell in 55Lbs bags, so 2-row is the only one that makes sense to buy. I don know anyone other than a micro brewery that needs 55lbs of chocolate. best part is its a commercial cash and carry so there's no tax. just $33.40 flat for 55lbs of 2-row. hard to beat that.

Cheers from BC. 33.40 is a good deal. Straight from gambrinus in armstrong is $25 so they haven't marked it up that much.

me too. so nice that torontobrewing.com opened an actual store. there prices aren't great but saving on shipping is nice.
have you ever bought grain at "grain prosses enterprises'? they sell a 55lbs sack of 2-row foe $33.40 no tax. so much cheaper than any LHBS

Grain, hops, and yeast are considered to be "food products" in Ontario and therefore not subject to taxes. If some place tries to charge you tax on them, they're pocketing the 13%.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the info on Grain Process. I will be certain to check them out when my 2 row is done. Plus they are closer than toronto brewing! :mug:

Grain, hops, and yeast are considered to be "food products" in Ontario and therefore not subject to taxes. If some place tries to charge you tax on them, they're pocketing the 13%.

Welcome to the forum!

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm so used to the gov getting there cut, I was surprised to see no tax. Makes sense.
Its funny, no tax on grains, hops or yeast. But add water, let it ferment, then they tax the living hell out of it. All the more reason to brew the good stuff your self.

Thanks for the info on Grain Process. I will be certain to check them out when my 2 row is done. Plus they are closer than toronto brewing! :mug:

No problem. Its not easy saving a buck in Toronto. So I was very pleased to stumble across that place.

Happy brewing.

Also if you're going to step it up to 5 gallon batches you might need a new kettle (not sure of your current setup) ontariobeerkegs.com is the place to order from. Good prices and great service. Flat rate shipping and if you order in the morning, you should get your order the next day. They also have a good selection of stainless steel hardware at reasonable prices.

Also if you're going to step it up to 5 gallon batches you might need a new kettle (not sure of your current setup) ontariobeerkegs.com is the place to order from. Good prices and great service. Flat rate shipping and if you order in the morning, you should get your order the next day. They also have a good selection of stainless steel hardware at reasonable prices.

+1 to the post. +10 to OBK. I've received orders 2 days after placing my evening order. Order Monday around 18:00, get it at noon Wednesday. Granted Canada Post does play a large role in the delivery, but OBK gets it to them in record time. I've had some orders from other (in general, not just brew related) retailers sit at "Processing" for days.

Good to hear OBK has quick service. They have been on my radar for a while but I have been able to make due with the gear I have so far. A new kettle is a must for any 5gal brewing for me as I currently only have an 18qt, which works well for the 2.5gal batches I have been doing. SWMBO has also approved kegging, but that has to wait until we have more space as we are in a tiny basement apartment and the gear already has taken over any available space we have. I had to get creative to find places for the 6 5gal buckets of grain I now have.

ya, storing the equipment and ingredients is a challenge at times. especially if your place is a smaller square footage. also going to 5 gallon you'll be boiling 6.5 gallons or more. i'm assuming you're using your stove for a heat source. might need to go propane or electric. just another thing to think about.
but if you do go bigger and get a bigger kettle. the 9 gallon OBK kettle for $79 is hard to beat. its what I use and haven't regretted it.

Back