Greetings from Brooklyn!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilNuts

Reaction score
Hello all! Name's Jared, and I currently live in Brooklyn NY for about another year or so - my career in the Marines has me relocating every few years. I am 31 years old, originally from NJ.

I've been brewing for about five years, usually small stuff, and I've recently decided to step up my game and throw myself into it.

Right now I've got some sweet mead (bottled), American Amber (poured in a glass beside me :) ), 5 gallons of dry mead (primary), 5 gal Fat Tire clone (primary) that my wife wanted because it's her favorite beer and they don't distribute it in NY, and five gallons of Belgian-style juniper wheat (primary).

I just learned how to use my hydrometer this weekend, and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the information it provides - although I've read all of the textbook answers, I guess I just have to find a way to apply the knowledge.

I came here because I've got a question, and because I anticipate several more questions over the next few weeks as my buckets fizz along.

Welcome, and thank you for your service.
I'm also from NJ originally, and I used to work in Brooklyn.
The hydrometer tells me three things: how much stuff I extracted from my grain, when the beer is finished, and what is the ABV.

Thanks! I'll probably start finding it more useful as I progress, and now that I'm actually taking measurements that I can record and track.

At first, the math and lines and big words are all very confusing and intimidating. Why can't I just make beer and drink it? :) I've actually learned quite a bit more about measuring gravity over the last few hours just surfing around this forum.

Back