Green/Fresh hops... too green?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonLiguori

Reaction score
Hey Folks, my buddy picked two gallon-sized Ziploc bags worth of Cascade hops from his friends house not too long ago, in the hope that I could use them for some brews for him, especially in dry-(wet-?)hopping. He tossed the bags in the fridge for a couple days until he would see me again, but when we opening the bag to get a whiff, there was very little aroma. A slight piney-ness at best. I crushed a cone in my fingers to see if there was any improvement, and there was some, along with a good amount of the sweet yellow powder I was waiting to see.
Are these simply too green? I've never had the opportunity to use fresh hops before, but I was sure that they'd be a bit more yellowed and "papery" once ripe. Is there any danger in dry-hopping with green hops as far as young flavors/aromas go? Should these just be reduced to bittering only? Should I dehydrate them first? I'd hate to drive off any aromatics they do have just trying to dry them out, but if I must I must!

IMAG0211.jpg

Last edited:
Hops typically should be dried after harvesting. You don't need a fancy dehydrator, just put them in large paper bags, being sure to give them a shake every once and a while until they dry out.

If they weren't dried, then you may have missed your window. You should brew with wet hops within a day or two of harvest- I'd say either dry them now or brew with them tomorrow. Either way, cross your fingers.

Holy crap, Now I feel like a newb. I've been here years and never once have I noticed the hops growing section! Thanks for the info, sad to say what I feared most is likely true: they're just compost at this point :/ I got them from him well after they should have been used.

Thanks all the same!

Back