Greatest Sunday Morning Comic Strip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstAidBrewing

Reaction score
Curious as to what this crew will say :tank:

My vote is for Calvin and Hobbes with Bloom County in a close second.

Your turn. Go!

I read/skim the entire newspaper every day, but I rarely read the comics. When I do, Doonsbury is the only good one. Far Side has been very funny/ironic, but I don't know if it is still in the paper. I also still like Family Circus.

I wish I had the interest to follow Prince Valiant. It seems like a cool strip, but I don't read the comics.

I figured this would have got more attention. I guess Calvin and Hobbes is clearly the leader, but we all knew that.

calvin-and-hobbes.jpg

Calvin & Hobbes is by far the winner. Not only does it work on multiple levels - from the zany to the esoteric, Watterson changed the look of comics. He is the first to break panel constraints and gain free form panels - while more common now, this was a totally new look in comics. The change in panels also allowed for different writing - as earlier strips basically had a title, joke setup, joke punchline format. It also allowed for far different artwork. Zits and Mutts have both benefited greatly from these changes.

The Lockhorns may be the most hack comic that exists. Today's strip "I'm making out my will - you want anything?"

Actually my least favorite is Funky Winkerbean. It goes between flatly unfunny teacher strips and the ever hilarious strips about death and terminal illness.

When I got the paper, I liked opus & bill. I like how bill the cat always looks a little fried. And boner's ark. My favorite one was when he comes back to his cabin after a hard day. His wife says," Ha! You've been at the bar again"! "no I didn't, I swear"! BZZAP! " Isn't that overdoing it a little for 2 measly drinks?" as he looks up. Good stuff. And an old one, Our Boarding House with Major Hoople. Blondie of course with Dagwood & his humungoid sammiches. And my sil & her late husband knew the local art teacher that drew funky winkerbean. Garfield was good for awhile too. And not to forget Hagar the Horrible, viking humor. And BC, all about my youth! lolz. And Peanuts with snoopy & the Red Baron.
* After a bit of googling, I find it strange that strips like Boner's Ark aren't listed? Not PC anymore I guess?

Calvin & Hobbes (I have every book)
Bloom County/Outland/Opus
Foxtrot
Get Fuzzy
Far Side

edit - For all you who were C&H fans, you should watch "Dear Mr. Watterson". I believe it is on Netflix streaming.

I used to be an avid comic strip reader, but stopped getting the paper many years ago, and I use my online time to keep up on ridiculous *ahem* internet forums. Most of you have nailed my favorites - Bloom County had to have been my earliest fav, followed by The Far Side. Calvin & Hobbes & Get Fuzzy were both awesome, and gave me some of my best laughs. My biggest laugh, though, came from a strip that I wouldn't say was my favorite, but the one strip struck me in just the right way that even now *mumbledy* years later I still chuckle over it. I did an image search but came up empty.
The comic was Robotman, which evolved eventually into Monty. In this particular strip, Robotman is leading a group on a hike, following a compass. In each panel, Robotman realizes he is going the wrong direction with a "wait, no, north is THIS way". In the final panel, Robotman says "No, wait, north is directly up my nose", to which Monty says "The lesson here is to never give the compass to an overgrown kitchen magnet". "North is directly up my nose" has become my way of saying we are hopelessly lost, either literally or figuratively.

Probably Far Side, but I'm positive Larson has stopped making them. He retired YEARS ago. Calvin and Hobbs is second. I also enjoyed many others. I haven't read comics in many years. I should set up a bunch of links to some online place to read them again.

Calvin & Hobbes and Dilbert. Dilbert always appealed to me because I am pretty convinced Scott Adams works at the same company as I do.

+10000 for Calvin and Hobbes

In addition to owning every book, we named our son Calvin. (My wife thought I just liked the name and didn't get the reference until after, hahahaha!)

For sure the Far Side .I have all of Larson's work in book form.Loved Calvin and Hobbes,but also liked B.C. and The Wizard of Id .Frammin on the jimjam and frippen at the krotz. My favorite spell.

Surprised to not see any other fans of Foxtrot.
Maybe a little too juvenile of a comic, but really enjoyed it in my teens.

Back