Greatest Debut Album Ever ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beat me to it. Rage Against the Machine. That album structured the next five years of my life and I can still turn it on. It is like the Bob Dylan of the nineties where the political thoughts can still portray relevance although it is over 15 years old.

Also, Dr Dre the Chronic was mentioned earlier and is so true. Shaped what the rap scene would become all the way through the current scene. Which also brings Emenim's album that was produced by Dre with "My Name Is".

As someone else said, if we are talking about Historically then I would say Beethoven. If we are talking $$, Boston. If we are talking what I think might be the one in my youth that made the most impact then we have to go with one of the above mentioned.

I'm in agreement with Weezer blue album. Still probably the most complete album I have ever heard
I also think Pearl Jam - Ten is a close second.

appetite for destruction - g.n.r.

high voltage - ac/dc

rage against the machine (self titled)

there is so much raw passion on these albums it kills me

Pixies - Come on Pilgrim

A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms

Muse - Muse

Misfits - Static Age...debatable on what was actually the first ep....Many releases before this.

off the top of my head.

Jane's Addiction - Jane's Addiction

It was a live recording and included a cover of "Sympathy for the Devil".
Not only does J.A. kick arse, but it made me realize that the Rolling Stones' earlier stuff wasn't so full of suck* (as their later stuff was)

*(Obviously this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to enjoy the Rolling stones as much as they want. I am not intending to start a flame war. I just don't care for them.... and don't get me started on Aerosmith :) )

My list:
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (my favorite band)
Pearl Jam - ten (not really my favorite band but dam if you could get away from it for the first 5 years after its release)
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (not tecnhically the members debut but their debut as the BBoys)
Phish - Junta (changed my musical perspective)

Zep I - Cause it's Zep!

Appetite For Destruction - Awsum album and easily their best.

VH - VH Cause its' Van Halen and even though they made a lot of great music afterwards, like Zep, the guitar on VH was a breakthrough.

And, while I can appreciate Boston for their music, I just can't stand listening to them for very long. Same guitar sound, same singing voice. To me it's just irritating after a while.

Britney Spears, "Baby One More Time"... Nothing is better than a debut album with a schoolgirl music video!

+1. When that came out, I remember thinking, "man, for the next 15 years this band could be what the Stones were from '65-'80". Oops...

Not sure if Nevermind counts as Nirvana's debut or not under the criteria, but it certainly reshaped the music landscape for half a decade.

these two albums here represent two of the more difined musical revolutions when I was growing up...Both absolutely brilliant and unmatched, but completely different. I feel lucky to have that music as I grew up...

And, while I can appreciate Boston for their music, I just can't stand listening to them for very long. Same guitar sound, same singing voice. To me it's just irritating after a while.

totally know where you're coming from - I get sick of hearing it myself

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (ok, technically not debut, but do Canada-only albums really count?)

She helped pave the way for a lot of female artists (not a good thing in some cases!), and had the highest-selling female debut album. And seriously, what's more awesome than someone getting worked up and singing a really pissed-off song about Uncle Joey from Full House? :mug:

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (ok, technically not debut, but do Canada-only albums really count?)

She helped pave the way for a lot of female artists (not a good thing in some cases!), and had the highest-selling female debut album. And seriously, what's more awesome than someone getting worked up and singing a really pissed-off song about Uncle Joey from Full House? :mug:

I have that CD on my alarm clock. It's a hell of a jarring wake up call!! :D

On the subject of women in music. I hereby nominate Kate Bush's Lionheart. Nobody promoted females in rock the way she did.

STP - Core
GNR - Appetite for Destruction
Pearl Jam - Ten
Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View (Don't laugh, you know you dug Hootie!)

Someone else beat me to saying Hendrix's Are You Experienced....
that just changed everything. All that from a Stratocaster???

I think this self-titled debut deserves a spot on this list:

NSYNCAlbum.jpg

I just found this old thread again....

The Band - Music From Big Pink
Jellyfish - Bellybutton
Counting Crowes - August and Everything After

Seems there are a lot of rockers on here with the same opinion!

Zep - Zep I
Ozzy - Blizzard fo Oz, can we count this as a debut? It was a solo debut.
Dream Theater - Images and Words

Black Crowes- Shake Your Money Maker
Led Zeppelin- Zeppelin I
Metallica- Kill'em all
Rage Against the Machine- self-titled.

But my favorite w/out a doubt is...

Dropkick Murphy's- Do or Die

+1. When that came out, I remember thinking, "man, for the next 15 years this band could be what the Stones were from '65-'80". Oops...

Not sure if Nevermind counts as Nirvana's debut or not under the criteria, but it certainly reshaped the music landscape for half a decade.

These two albums, in my opinion, represent a great revolution in music.

Appetite of Descruction was so freakin good...still is. Same can be said for Nevermind

the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread was

Pearl Jam - Ten

I know they weren't the first for that grunge phase but man they brought it to a new level as far as a whole album.

the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread was

Pearl Jam - Ten

I know they weren't the first for that grunge phase but man they brought it to a new level as far as a whole album.

I thought the exact same thing.

Also

Rage Against The Machine

Jane's Addiction - Jane's Addiction

It was a live recording and included a cover of "Sympathy for the Devil".

HELLS YEAH! I lovingly call it the JA TripleX album (was on the XXX label). I still listen to that album all the time. Had the best cover of "Sympathy" of all time - probably even better than the original.

Also agree with Rage's self titled album, Pearl Jam - Ten, Zep I, and G'n'R - Appetite for Destruction.

Back