Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you're flying out of MSY. Staying around downtown New Orleans puts you 25 minutes from the airport. If you have the option, I'd say it's very worth it.
I can introduce you to a very enthusiastic beer nerd named Todd.

Your best bet is to look to Houma (very close to thibodaux) and check out which craft and mudbugg.

Or come to New Orleans and we can drink mead and talk about how soccer is going to be more popular than football next year. ;)
Any suggestions what area of New Orleans to look for hotels? I literally know nothing about NOLA. I'd want to make sure I'm not spending $$$$ extra beyond my Thibodaux hotel.

And I'm only up for talking about soccer if we can do it while watching MNF.

French Quarter/CBD/Warehouse District/Garden District is the largest concentration close to fun things to do. If you have a rental car you could stay in Metairie/near the airport and get downtown quickly. I know there is a big pharm convention next week, so I'm not sure what the hotel situation will be like.

French Quarter/CBD/Warehouse District/Garden District is the largest concentration close to fun things to do. If you have a rental car you could stay in Metairie/near the airport and get downtown quickly. I know there is a big pharm convention next week, so I'm not sure what the hotel situation will be like.
I do have a rental, so if need be I can stay near the airport I suppose. I'll take a look and let y'all know if I plan on doing Monday night in New Orleans.

Any suggestions what area of New Orleans to look for hotels? I literally know nothing about NOLA. I'd want to make sure I'm not spending $$$$ extra beyond my Thibodaux hotel.

And I'm only up for talking about soccer if we can do it while watching MNF.

Check out the st Charles guest house. Decent rates, ancient dirt charm, right by avenue pub. Low as 45$ night depending on availability.

Check out the st Charles guest house. Decent rates, ancient dirt charm, right by avenue pub. Low as 45$ night depending on availability.
Unfortunately have to book through the company's travel agency, and I don't see that one on there. However it looks like there are some hotels in Metairie that are roughly the same cost as the hotel in Thibodaux, so I'm thinking at a minimum I can swing that. Going to see if I can find anything closer to downtown for cheap via the travel site.

Unfortunately have to book through the company's travel agency, and I don't see that one on there. However it looks like there are some hotels in Metairie that are roughly the same cost as the hotel in Thibodaux, so I'm thinking at a minimum I can swing that. Going to see if I can find anything closer to downtown for cheap via the travel site.

Try prytania park hotel. Same neighborhood. Also decent prices. Metairie is a lilacflowers of strip malls.

Try prytania park hotel. Same neighborhood. Also decent prices. Metairie is a lilacflowers of strip malls.

There's only one thing I do in Metry: GTFO. There's over 20,000 people in town next week for that convention though! I know my Aunt was looking for rooms downtown and getting nada...

Let us know if you want to drink. Would be fun to meet up at avenue or courtyard (both in the garden district).

Also New Orleans is a pretty it small place. You can easily get from Metairie the garden district in as little as 20min. Maybe 30min from near the airport.

There's only one thing I do in Metry: GTFO. There's over 20,000 people in town next week for that convention though! I know my Aunt was looking for rooms downtown and getting nada...
Let us know if you want to drink. Would be fun to meet up at avenue or courtyard (both in the garden district).

Also New Orleans is a pretty it small place. You can easily get from Metairie the garden district in as little as 20min. Maybe 30min from near the airport.
All the places downtown are unavailable for me to book. Booking the Metairie Holiday Inn. Seems like it's close enough to get anywhere fun. I'm used to the Detroit 'burbs where you have to drive 15 mins to get just about anywhere anyway.

I'd be up for meeting up at a cool brewery/beer bar if people are interested, but keep in mind I will be working in Thibodaux during the day so I will probably be a bit late getting into town (especially for a Monday).

All the places downtown are unavailable for me to book. Booking the Metairie Holiday Inn. Seems like it's close enough to get anywhere fun. I'm used to the Detroit 'burbs where you have to drive 15 mins to get just about anywhere anyway.

I'd be up for meeting up at a cool brewery/beer bar if people are interested, but keep in mind I will be working in Thibodaux during the day so I will probably be a bit late getting into town (especially for a Monday).

The ave pub is the place to go if you want to watch the game and drink decent stuff. Most other beer places here either don't have a TV or are patio based and finding an easily viewable screen will be an issue. I should be around if you want to get together. Late in the day is actually better for me.

And I just remembered that it will be my birthday so you are buying right? (Not srs)

The ave pub is the place to go if you want to watch the game and drink decent stuff. Most other beer places here either don't have a TV or are patio based and finding an easily viewable screen will be an issue. I should be around if you want to get together. Late in the day is actually better for me.

And I just remembered that it will be my birthday so you are buying right? (Not srs)

Seconding Ave Pub

There's a Pelicans game Monday @ 7. Otherwise, if you can avoid that traffic, very easy to get down to the fun zone. Avenue for the game would be cool. I'm also fine with linking later in the evening.

Saw that message way too late, was wrecked from work yesterday. Hope you a good time in the city!

Saw that message way too late, was wrecked from work yesterday. Hope you a good time in the city!
I did! Honestly didn't do too much, got super tired, but I did check out Avenue Pub and ended up eating dinner there. Awesome crab cake and great burger! Wood smash again/10

Also really enjoyed the coffee brown ale that they had on, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it...

I did! Honestly didn't do too much, got super tired, but I did check out Avenue Pub and ended up eating dinner there. Awesome crab cake and great burger! Wood smash again/10

Also really enjoyed the coffee brown ale that they had on, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it...

They use some good local beef for the burger, always been solid.

I would think you tried Great Raft Creature of Habit. They are out of Shreveport, but most of their stuff gets distro here.

They use some good local beef for the burger, always been solid.

I would think you tried Great Raft Creature of Habit. They are out of Shreveport, but most of their stuff gets distro here.
That's the one! Definitely want to make it back down there again at some point with a group of friends, seems like the city would be really fun to just kind of float around for a long weekend or something.

I just arrived here in New Orleans, and I am wondering what your favorites are!

Where to drink sours?
Anybody local brew sour beer?
Anywhere have pappy? I'd like to drink some.
Favorite restaurants with great beer?
Anything I should go check out?

Thanks guys!

Edit: thanks for the merge; sorry about that redundant thread.

Last edited:
Right now Avenue Pub is a one stop shop haha. You can get a great variety of bourbon depending on what's on the list, it rotates. I had Vin Winkle Rye a few weeks back. NOLA Brewing does sours, and they have an event today at Avenue for the release of the 7th Sun collab. They also have sours on tap a few miles down the road at the brewery. Restaurants with beer is slightly tougher. Most of the impressive lists are at fine dining establishments (especially if you're looking for sours). Feel free to drop a pm if looking for more specifics. This isn't Jose by chance, is it?

I'm due for a NOLA visit again. Look for me to be making a trip over after the holidays kuemmelbrau nophunk

Jaaasssssson! Miss you Bb. you bringing the fam? depending on when you come i may have a place for yall to stay. You should come down the 26th for our annual holiday tasting. Bring Ken too. He was on the north shore a month or so ago and I totally missed him.

This is Jose. I brought beers. I drank a bunch of them. But I have some goodies. Let's get down.

Last edited:
Jaaasssssson! Miss you Bb. you bringing the fam? depending on when you come i may have a place for yall to stay. You should come down the 26th for our annual holiday tasting. Bring Ken too. He was on the north shore a month or so ago and I totally missed him.

It will be just me and Steph.

Back