Greater New Orleans Visitor's Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about hitting up:

NOLA brewing and Urban South before Hitting Magazine St?

Went to Domilese's and Toups already

Two awesome spots for food. Domilise's is my overall favorite po boy shop, good choice.

Have you done Avenue Pub? That's the best beer bar in the city. Courtyard is a pretty cool nano brewery not too far away. He has house beer and guest taps. I'd say overall his beers are more enjoyable and less pedestrian than US/NOLA.

Went to NOLA Brewing, Urban South, then Cochon (yo...) then Le Bon Temps. Was secretly hoping to see Pepper Keenan but there were just a bunch of dudes screaming at the Saints on TV. People said the bar was sketchy but I thought it was cool. Definitely been to worse in Boston.

Walked to see the American Horror Story house and Trent Reznors old place. There's some DOPE houses here, I love it.

Ubered back to our AirBnB and was glad cause there was definitely something going on not far down the street.

Went to NOLA Brewing, Urban South, then Cochon (yo...) then Le Bon Temps. Was secretly hoping to see Pepper Keenan but there were just a bunch of dudes screaming at the Saints on TV. People said the bar was sketchy but I thought it was cool. Definitely been to worse in Boston.

Walked to see the American Horror Story house and Trent Reznors old place. There's some DOPE houses here, I love it.

Ubered back to our AirBnB and was glad cause there was definitely something going on not far down the street.

Lol. Le Bon temps being sketch. Other than a few locals and late night drug handoffs its mostly a tourist/college spot. Hell, I've even been to worse bars in Boston. When do you leave?

We are making a day trip on Friday and then staying the weekend in Lafayette. So far I'm thinking Cafe du Monde, though not thrilled as I'm sure it's touristy as ****, the aquarium for the kids, steins, avenue and somewhere in between for lunch. I also have no issue with an alternative to du Monde for beignet and coffee.

I'm definitely hitting up Parish in Lafayette.

We are making a day trip on Friday and then staying the weekend in Lafayette. So far I'm thinking Cafe du Monde, though not thrilled as I'm sure it's touristy as ****, the aquarium for the kids, steins, avenue and somewhere in between for lunch. I also have no issue with an alternative to du Monde for beignet and coffee.

I'm definitely hitting up Parish in Lafayette.

Morning call is in city park near the playground and has beignets. Not downtown doe.

Headed to NOLA on Saturday for a couple days with the gf and a couple friends. Staying at an Air BnB in the French Quarter.

Thanks for all the contributors in this thread. Anything new to add?

Headed to NOLA on Saturday for a couple days with the gf and a couple friends. Staying at an Air BnB in the French Quarter.

Thanks for all the contributors in this thread. Anything new to add?

wayward owl is open. urban south is too. second line also.

havent been to the first 2. urban south is near downtown and the other 2 are in mid city.

i hang out at second line quite a bit. great patio when the weather is nice

Super last minute but I'm in town and heading down to courtyard to open a couple bottles if anyone is in the area swing on by!

Looking for suggestions on Blues/Jazz clubs from locals. We'll be staying on Bourbon and Dumaine (I think) but I'm willing to make a bit of a trek if it's worth it.

Looking for suggestions on Blues/Jazz clubs from locals. We'll be staying on Bourbon and Dumaine (I think) but I'm willing to make a bit of a trek if it's worth it.

Fritzel's European jazz club will be your closest. On bourbon street. Also try Irving may fields jazz playhouse or if you walk east to Frenchman (which is a better place to hangout all around) you can hit snug harbor and spotted cat.

Fritzel's European jazz club will be your closest. On bourbon street. Also try Irving may fields jazz playhouse or if you walk east to Frenchman (which is a better place to hangout all around) you can hit snug harbor and spotted cat.
I was going to say walk to frenchman, throw a rock, and you'll likely find/hear something great

Did you see those houses as part of a tour, or just had the addresses and wandered by? Curious if you could direct to Reznor's old place, or any other houses worth seeing (saw the AHS house on my last trip).

Girlfriend and I will be in NOLA for a few days next week. Staying in the Garden District on Colesium within walking distance to Avenue Pub and Steins. Planning on mostly shuttling between garden district and the French Quarter with a 3 day street car pass. Any reason that’d be unrealistic?

Girlfriend and I will be in NOLA for a few days next week. Staying in the Garden District on Colesium within walking distance to Avenue Pub and Steins. Planning on mostly shuttling between garden district and the French Quarter with a 3 day street car pass. Any reason that’d be unrealistic?

That would easily work with a bit of walking. Look me up if you want to catch a beer.

Did you see those houses as part of a tour, or just had the addresses and wandered by? Curious if you could direct to Reznor's old place, or any other houses worth seeing (saw the AHS house on my last trip).

I just Googled where the address was and it wasn’t a deep dive to find it. I didnt think to look for the door he took off the Tate house to see if it was still there.

Heading to New Orleans next week with about 6 others (Thursday - Monday). The Airbnb we're staying in is SE of Lafayette Square (looks like it's between Lafayette Square and Union Passenger Terminal if you were to draw a line connecting the two) - so whatever neighborhood that is.

Never been and have done precious little planning other than reviewing some of the recent posts here. Mostly interested in good (and affordable) eating/drinking options. Music venues, too. Any fun, offbeat museums worth the price of admission?

I started a NOLA google map and added the following:

Spotted Cat
Snug Harbor
Jazz Playhouse
Fritzel's

Urban South Brewery
NOLA Brewing Tap Room
Stein's Market & Deli
The Avenue Pub
Le Bon Temps

Maple Leaf and Second Line look a little far from where we'll be - worth an Uber ride anyway?

Heading to New Orleans next week with about 6 others (Thursday - Monday). The Airbnb we're staying in is SE of Lafayette Square (looks like it's between Lafayette Square and Union Passenger Terminal if you were to draw a line connecting the two) - so whatever neighborhood that is.

Never been and have done precious little planning other than reviewing some of the recent posts here. Mostly interested in good (and affordable) eating/drinking options. Music venues, too. Any fun, offbeat museums worth the price of admission?

Spotted Cat
Snug Harbor
Jazz Playhouse
Fritzel's

Urban South Brewery
NOLA Brewing Tap Room
Stein's Market & Deli
The Avenue Pub
Le Bon Temps

Maple Leaf and Second Line look a little far from where we'll be - worth an Uber ride anyway?
DBA's is across the street from Spotted Cat and is another awesome venue/bar. I drank way too much there after midnight listening to blues all weekend.

Spotted Cat
Snug Harbor
Jazz Playhouse
Fritzel's

Urban South Brewery
NOLA Brewing Tap Room
Stein's Market & Deli
The Avenue Pub
Le Bon Temps

Look into the music box village as a place to catch a show if you have time. It's a bit off the path but it's worth checking out. It's a one of a kind experience. Also yes to Uber for a relaxing outdoor setting and beers at 2nd line, or a show at maple leaf.

And hazebro is a good description of courtyard.

Parasols is a good po boy joint, and a cool little bar. Definitely on the affordable side and pretty close to you. Maple Leaf is a great spot for music. I'd definitely check it out. More locals than the Frenchman area.

Courtyard is solid, but Saturday is their 4 year anniversary. It will be very crowded, and the drink lines have gotten pretty bad in the past. But there will be a bunch of pouring stations, so you may be alright if interested.

Avenue Pub is the best bar for beer close to you guys. Good whiskey too.

I can give a bunch more food/nightlife recs if you need, but it seems like you have an idea. If interested in some specific types of food or something, lmk. None of the breweries here are absolute must stops, and all that have been listed are solid options.

Parasols is a good po boy joint, and a cool little bar. Definitely on the affordable side and pretty close to you. Maple Leaf is a great spot for music. I'd definitely check it out. More locals than the Frenchman area.

Courtyard is solid, but Saturday is their 4 year anniversary. It will be very crowded, and the drink lines have gotten pretty bad in the past. But there will be a bunch of pouring stations, so you may be alright if interested.

Avenue Pub is the best bar for beer close to you guys. Good whiskey too.

I can give a bunch more food/nightlife recs if you need, but it seems like you have an idea. If interested in some specific types of food or something, lmk. None of the breweries here are absolute must stops, and all that have been listed are solid options.
going to be in the city all of next week and parasols is likely our first stop.

I’m still thinking about that firecracker shrimp poboy.......

Also looking for a good donut shop?

fun, offbeat

Maybe the neighborhood is changing, so locals please advise if this is outdated info, but a pretty good combo is brunch at Elizabeth's in the Bywater then walking a block or few west and checking out Dr Bob's art studio.

A good source for music and other events that can be a bit on the underground side is http://noladiy.org/

Maybe the neighborhood is changing, so locals please advise if this is outdated info, but a pretty good combo is brunch at Elizabeth's in the Bywater then walking a block or few west and checking out Dr Bob's art studio.

A good source for music and other events that can be a bit on the underground side is http://noladiy.org/

I used to really like Elizabeth's, but it has gone downhill. That neighborhood is the most polarizing in the city lol. A lot of gentrification has taken place.

Edit: That's not to say the bywater isn't cool any more. There is certainly fun stuff to do and some gems. It has just changed a lot in the last 5 years. I'm not sure where you were here.

Last edited:
going to be in the city all of next week and parasols is likely our first stop.

I’m still thinking about that firecracker shrimp poboy.......

Also looking for a good donut shop?

People like District Donuts. New school fancy donuts. I've also heard a good bit of people complain that they aren't good and overpriced... I don't really seek out donuts, so I've only had a couple bites. I was never overly impressed. This is a beignet town lol. There's nothing local that's really got hype besides District.

Getting hitched in your beautiful city on the 25th!

Enjoy man! Best month here, and the weather has been great. Cool and dry for NOLA. If anyone wants specific recs on anything, feel free to ask. I am from here, and my family was in tourism related business for nearly 30 years.

I used to really like Elizabeth's, but it has gone downhill. That neighborhood is the most polarizing in the city lol. A lot of gentrification has taken place.

Edit: That's not to say the bywater isn't cool any more. There is certainly fun stuff to do and some gems. It has just changed a lot in the last 5 years. I'm not sure where you were here.

Hung with some gentrifying hipstery types when I'd visit like 2006-? Last time I ate at Elizabeth's was probably in 2013-14. That praline bacon and fried catfish 'bayou breakfast' tho...

Back