Great Lakes Chillwave DBL IPA Clone advise please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcore

Reaction score
So Great Lakes has on their site whats in it, but not how much of everything...give some feed back

Malts

18 lbs Harrington Pale 2-row

12 oz. Caramel 45

8 oz. Honey Malt

Hops (Pellets)

1.5 oz. Nugget 13%a, 60 minutes

1 oz. Nugget 13%a, 20 minutes

1 oz. Cascade 6%a, 15 minutes

1 oz Mosaic 12%, 10 minutes

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Dry Hops: 1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Cascade

Instructions:

Mash all grains for 1 hour at 152 degrees.

Sparge at 170 degrees.

One hour boil with hop regimen above.

Ferment at 63-68 degrees.

Rack to keg or secondary and age for 6 weeks. Add dry hops for the last 7 days.

I'd do another oz as a late addition, probably at FO/KO, then I'd add another oz or two for dry-hop.

And I'd double the carmel malt, and mash around 153-154.

I haven't had it yet but I've seen it on tap a couple places, and 4 packs are around. I'll give it a taste and maybe I can contribute. (I'm interested now that you're telling its using honey malt and mosaic).

First, Its been said and I agree that GL doesn't disclose everything on their website. There may be more to the grain bill than they're saying, so taste test carefully.

What's your OG on that? GL says 22P (1.092).

I haven't had it yet but I've seen it on tap a couple places, and 4 packs are around. I'll give it a taste and maybe I can contribute. (I'm interested now that you're telling its using honey malt and mosaic).

First, Its been said and I agree that GL doesn't disclose everything on their website. There may be more to the grain bill than they're saying, so taste test carefully.

What's your OG on that? GL says 22P (1.092).

You absolutely should get it when you can. It's pretty malty sweet, medium bodied, and the mosaic is very prominent.

I used to think Hopslam was just a touch better, but I've had both of this years offering and I've flipped.

I'm drinking my attempt at the clone right now. I determined it's not nearly malty enough, so I might decoct it or something... BIAB recipe, 72% brewhouse:

19lbs Pale 2- row
2lbs crystal 40
1lb Honey Malt

1oz magnum - 60min (it's bittering, I don't think nugget would have been much different)
1oz mosaic - 20 min
1oz cascade - 20 min
1oz mosaic - 15 min
1oz cascade - 15 min
1oz mosaic, 1oz mosiac hop burst from 8 minutes to FO
1oz cascade, 1oz mosaic dryhop

mashed at 152ish, ferment with 1.5l London Ale 1028 starter

OG: 1.092
FG: 1.022

so.... yeah. It's not bad by any means, but it's certainly no Chillwave. The Chillwave has a much stronger malt backbone to it. I will try again, and mash at more like 154, and possibly decoct it some.

*edit*

I just had a draft of Chillwave today. I take it back, this recipe really isn't that far off. Maybe came out a bit more boozy, but with some minor adjustments it's damn close.

You have to go get some today it's a great beer and please share input I really would like to make something close to it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My opinion would to bitter with nugget only (about 20-30 IBUs). go with a 2:1 of mosaic cascade to get the rest with one big addition under 5min or just a FO add and steep it for 30min. The dry hop with 3 oz of each. This will have way more hop punch, but if you mash high enough and use like nottingham, that should get your fg high enough.

Its quite tasty! its not as malty as Lake Erie Monster imho. First rush of aroma is mosaic Mellon, big time, but piney/citrusy comes through from the cascade too. I definitely get some floral there from the Nugget also.

You have like 4% c40 and 2.5% honey malt. Maybe up the honey to 4% also. I taste more than 2.5%. But 8% sweet grains seems about the limit. This is malty but not crystal sweet.

I agree with dicker on the hops, but i'd include nugget in the flameout too.

Maybe,
Nugget bittering for 35ish IBUs at 60 min...1 oz.
Nugget, cascade, mosaic at flameout with 30 min hopstand for 40ish IBUs. Maybe 2 oz cascade, 3 oz mosaic, 1 oz nugget. This puts you at about 33 grams/gallon at flameout, which is a big number.

See I opened my second case today and boo very low carb ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396136086.235633.jpg

That's right after opening and pouring leave the other 3 hope they have more carb :(

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What do you mean by this?

"1oz mosaic, 1oz mosiac hop burst from 8 minutes to FO"

One ounce every minute until FO?

I have about 10 all grain homebrews under my belt with a lot of input from veteran homebrewer friends and this website ( I can find just about any question answered here)

Being from Cleveland I had the pleasure of a first hand experience with Great Lakes Brewery Chill Wave DIPA (formerly Alchemy Hour) In the brewery it is served in a bourbon type glass from tap and it carries a
bold gold honey color with slight honey sweetness balanced by nugget and mosaic hops. I immediately set to work on a clone and this is what I came up with:

Batch size: 3.0 gallons
Equipment: 5 gallon Igloo converted mashtun
Target temp: 154 degrees F/ 75 minutes
Grains: 10 lbs 2-row pale ale
1.0 victory malt
1.0 Honey Malt
6 oz Torrified Red Wheat (for color)
6 oz crystal malt 40 L
0.5 nugget 60 min
0.25 oz cascade 40 min
0.25 oz mosaic 40 min
0.25 0z cascade 30 min
0.25 oz mosaic 30 min
0.25 oz cascade 15 min
0.25 oz mosaic 15 min
0.5 cup invert sugar - flameout
025 oz cascade hopstand (10 min)
0.25 oz mosaic hopstand
Irish moss at 20 min
- made yeast starter with Safale -05 (total vol 0.5 gallon)

Primary fermentation for 2 weeks undisturbed - dry hopped with left over nugget and cascade, then 1 week secondary with 1 gallon into glass carboy and remainder in 2.5 gallon keg - both cold crashed with gelatin clarifier for 1 week. Force carbed keg right away and bottled the rest.

This is what the final product looked like: Mine next to the real Great Lakes Brewery Chillwave:

chill.jpg

I did taste test side by side; I have to say it was pretty close. The real chillwave was a tad bit sweeter and had a little more rounded flavors but I attribute it to my beer being still very young. Will wait to see how the bottled ones come out in a few weeks. Overall I am pretty happy with the result. Friends and spouse could not guess that easy which was the real one.

What do you mean by this?

"1oz mosaic, 1oz mosiac hop burst from 8 minutes to FO"

One ounce every minute until FO?

I meant that I mixed them together, and hopburst that 2 ounces from 8 minutes to flameout.

After drinking on this for a while, I didn't use nearly enough late hops. I will redo it, and probably use maybe 3-4 ounces late, and less cascade. It still tastes good, but just not enough hop forward tastes for that beer.

Has anyone brewed a version of this Chillwave clone yet. Right now it is out in stores and it delicious!!! It makes me want to brew up a batch whats everyone's recommendations?

Chillwave is one of my favorites. I love its balance for a DIPA; a nice malty backbone that leans towards the sweet (honey) side and a nice big mix of citrus hop flavor (can't tell which of the 3 hops' flavors comes through most).

I'm still an extract brewer so I'm going to try to take one of the above recipes and convert it for extract. My beer won't need to be as big as a DIPA. Any tips for replacing the all grain ingredients above would be great. I want to strike the same balance and sweetness of Chillwave.

I am not sure it has been too long to remember the AG to extract factor you would need to figure out how much LME or DME you need per pound of grain. Search it on here I am sure it will turn up.

I used nugget for my boil hop edition and centennial and mosaic for whirlpool and dry hop and it was pretty close on the hop flavor. I’ll check my notes and post my grain bill when I get a chance

@sandman227 @jrodder @madcore @nick sekerak
Ok, so I have some ingredients to do an American pale ale that is inspired by Chillwave. As I mentioned above, I want the same balance that Chillwave brings - just scaled down from IIPA to APA. I'm an extract brewer new to home brewing. In fact, this will be my 2nd batch of home brew. I'm looking for feedback on my recipe design general feedback on my approach. This is a good thread for this since you guys have all had Chillwave, one of my favorite beers.

Here's my 5 gallon recipe with ingredients I have already picked up for brew day occuring in 3 days:

6 lbs light DME (half Briess golden light, half light pilsen)
18 oz (1.125 lb) crystal 40
6 oz (.375 lb) white wheat
.5 oz Nugget @ 60 min
1 oz Mosaic @ 15 min
1 oz Cascade @ 15 min
.5 oz Mosaic @ 5 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min
.5 oz Mosaic @ Flame out
.5 oz Cascade @ Flame out
1 oz Mosaic dry hopped 5 days
(Total hops used: .5 oz Nugget, 2 oz Cascade, 3 oz Mosaic)

I don't think I want my entire 1oz Nugget at 60 min so I have .5 to throw in at some other point or save for my next batch. Recommendations on that? I noticed above that some people are using Nugget as a late hop addition. I remember noticing a lot more Mosaic than any other hop in Chillwave.

Also, I don't currently have honey malt but I'm debating picking up 8 oz or so. Since I'm not making this a IIPA and won't have as big a hop flavor, I thought I'd keep things simple by just using Crystal 40 and white wheat for color, sweetness, and head retention. I'm trying to stay true to APA style and I'm not too worried about color. Thoughts on my specialty grains?
I am not sure it has been too long to remember the AG to extract factor you would need to figure out how much LME or DME you need per pound of grain. Search it on here I am sure it will turn up.

I used nugget for my boil hop edition and centennial and mosaic for whirlpool and dry hop and it was pretty close on the hop flavor. I’ll check my notes and post my grain bill when I get a chance

Sorry for the long delay, but here is the grain bill i used it was really close to the real thing when i did a side by side comparison. I would brew it again.

Yeast: White Labs 001

Grist:

85.2% - 2 Row
9.3% - Cara 45
5.6% - Honey Malt

Mashed at 154*F for 70 min

Hop Schedule:

60 min - 1oz nugget
8 min - 2oz cascade & 4oz Mosaic

Whirlpool @ 160*F for 20 min. - 2oz cascade & 4oz Mosaic

at FG Dry hop for 3 days then keg. I had 6oz of mosaic and 3 oz cascade.

Back